Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

533m Facebook users' data leaked. The Irish file has 1,449,921 names / numbers etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well that's simply not true. They sell advertising space on your feed etc. based on criteria they know about you.

If you go to https://adssettings.google.com, you can see what I know about you. Those are the things advertisers can click and then you'll see the ads.

This is a very on brand post for you

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Searched through the Irish one there. Just picked 4 friends randomly and their phone number, location & job are all there. Mad facebook/people here are playing this down. Just because you signed up for a fb account doesn't mean you should expect to have your mobile phone number leaked & available online for all to see in an easily searchable text file. This is manna for scammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The idea that almost anything you ever put on facebook was not going to be public at some point is laughable. If you wouldnt be happy with it on a billboard , don't put it on social media.

I suspect the issue is not so much the info you've put on social media. But the data they seem to have acquired and then shared without your express permission. There's a lot more of that than you know about.

I have fake profile I use for testing on rare occasions. I don't use the app. Yet its not unusual for real information to appear on my fake profile. Information I never use on social media or in online accounts. Its very difficult to remove it.

https://www.click2houston.com/tech/2021/01/25/how-to-stop-facebook-from-tracking-your-activity-outside-of-the-app/

Its not even the data you have in facebook. Any company they own, or have dealings with. Whatsaapp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Etc.

Linkedin was also hacked. So combine all those sites together. Thats what the Hackers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Am I screwed I had a affair with a women who has kids and a partner??????
    :D

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    Am I screwed I had a affair with a women who has kids and a partner??????
    :D

Wasn't that point of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

beauf wrote: »
    Its not even the data you have in facebook. Any company they own, or have dealings with. Whatsaapp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Etc.

Linkedin was also hacked. So combine all those sites together. Thats what the Hackers have.

https://twitter.com/RealDogLover10/status/1378904996289380359

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Searched through the Irish one there. .

Where did you find this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

533 million Facebook users' phone numbers and personal data have been leaked online

It's relatively easy to get the files, so I had a look, and have verified that a bunch of my friends and cousins come up in the Irish file and the numbers match what I have in my phone.

Below is a fake entry I've created that shows how the data looks. Most profiles don't have as much, but all have a name and number. Thankfully only some accounts show emails, and there are no dates of birth.

353871234567:1231565165116551651615:firstName:lastName:male:Drogheda, Ireland:Drogheda, Ireland:In a relationship:Tesco:5/78/2099 12:00:00 AM::

Heads should roll.

Am I the only one that finds it interesting this thread started by someone with a username of Google :p

The idea that almost anything you ever put on facebook was not going to be public at some point is laughable. If you wouldnt be happy with it on a billboard , don't put it on social media.

This is what always amazes me and it isn't just the under 30s or so that grew up with all of this social media, but some of the auld ones that advertise their entire lives on the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone getting calls since this happened, had two today from
    ‪022629948‬ saying my prsi number was used fraudulently and I could make a payment by pressing 1 or I'll be locked up, few other ones from different numbers over the last few days as well.

• Advertisement

Anyone getting calls since this happened, had two today from
    ‪022629948‬ saying my prsi number was used fraudulently and I could make a payment by pressing 1 or I'll be locked up, few other ones from different numbers over the last few days as well.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/social-welfare-ireland-phone-scam-20335975

Yes that's the one called twice today. It was very obviously a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Facebook is the biggest privately owned surveillance company on the planet. All they want is your data, and they certainly don't do a good job protecting it. They need to be regulated.

They should be broken up. It should never have been allowed to buy WhatsApp.

Facebook is such a boomer site. I don’t know anyone who still uses it.

Facebook is such a boomer site. I don’t know anyone who still uses it.

Only use it for one or two clubs, detest the thing.

Facebook does not plan to notify half-billion users affected by data leak

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-data-leak-idUSKBN2BU2ZY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

heffsarmy wrote: »

How do you search for names on here?

You would be scrolling through forever !! :eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »

Ctrl + f

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ctrl + f

?

nothing happens?

Sorted...
    Thanks !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I never gave them my number. They were insisting on it to install messenger, so I never installed it. All they ever needed was an email address unless someone wanted to get some kind of verified account

I do still get the odd call from places like Tunisia, but suspect that's as much because my company mobile is provided on my company email.

So many organisations (outside of financial ones, where it is understandable) are asking for such data with little if any requirement for it. It's all part of the data mining world we live in, and unfortunately too many people will enter whatever info is requested without thinking about it

My wife has never given them her number but as she installed the app on her phone it was taken. She's on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

leaked two years ago in 2019 these where

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I refused to give me number to FB and I'm not on that list. One brother is however and he doesn't use FB anymore. The rest of my siblings aren't.

Now, when there's a Whatsapp breach I'm screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Facebook does not plan to notify half-billion users affected by data leak

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-data-leak-idUSKBN2BU2ZY

if a user hasnt changed their password in two years then I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

maccored wrote: »
    leaked two years ago in 2019 these where

This was already pointed out and addressed within the first few posts.

mrcheez wrote: »
    This is not news, it's in relation to the 2019 hack, as mentioned in that article /thread
    It is news because it just got leaked publicly for all to see. It was for sale on the dark web before.

48k upvotes and thousands of comments on Reddit about it. Tonnes of posts about it on Twitter. "This is not news"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

maccored wrote: »
    if a user hasnt changed their password in two years then I dont know

Very few people would change their Facebook password periodically.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

My wife has never given them her number but as she installed the app on her phone it was taken. She's on the list

That's a good excuse alright. Will have to remember that one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

greenspurs wrote: »

grep

• Advertisement

That's a good excuse alright. Will have to remember that one :p

It was wide open there for you to say you have her number too, you slipped up! :p

Advertisement