Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't move broadband as no Eircode?

• 03-04-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

We're moving into our new home next week and the property has no Eircode as of yet. We contacted them and were told that it likely won't go through with the Mid-May update, and could be August before we have one. Vodafone cannot move our services to the new property without the Eircode. What can we do here? We obviously have to disconnect the service at our current property as renters will be moving in after us, but we cannot afford to pay a cancellation fee and the rest of our contract (which has been recently renewed).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not much you can do. It's not Vodafone's fault that you are moving to a location they can't service. See if it's possible to suspend the contract till you get an Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tomhouse

Was with eir, but broadband not available with new house and still in contract, put in the move house application no charge as THEY couldn't provide service

Bought a tplink router that takes a sim card and now running phones /tv/kids tablets etc off it for 20 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Have you tried contacting An Post to register for an Eircode? It usually is processed within a couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Have you tried contacting An Post to register for an Eircode? It usually is processed within a couple of days

We did make contact, we were told that the next release is the middle of May, but because not all the houses are occupied yet, it will likely be the August release of eircodes before we get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

It’s ludicrous that the Eircode isn’t just produced once the house is built. It should be possible for a developer to just submit the list or for an individual to house to be picked up much more easily than this.

Eir and others are also turning away new business which makes absolutely no sense from a commercial point of view. It must be amazing to be in a position where you don’t need customers.

• Advertisement

It’s ludicrous that the Eircode isn’t just produced once the house is built. It should be possible for a developer to just submit the list or for an individual to house to be picked up much more easily than this.

Eir and others are also turning away new business which makes absolutely no sense from a commercial point of view. It must be amazing to be in a position where you don’t need customers.

It honestly baffles me. We're moved in a week now and the bother having no Eircode has already caused us is laughable, especially seeing as the postman seems to have no issue finding the house :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It honestly baffles me. We're moved in a week now and the bother having no Eircode has already caused us is laughable, especially seeing as the postman seems to have no issue finding the house :pac:

Eircode has nothing to do with the postman or post delivery.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Eircode has nothing to do with the postman or post delivery.

Eircode data is captured by the postman noticing the address is active and recording it.

That’s how they’re issued.

They are also used by the automatic sorting machines and often by couriers for parcel delivery.

Your local postman/postwoman just gets a bundle of presorted letters. The eircode isn’t really used by them, as they know the route and go by the name and top line.

It’s used extensively by utility companies to identify addresses and I think the issue around it taking time for new eircodes to be issued on new build needs to be addressed as it is messing up delivery of services that are depending on it for geolocation.

An eircode should really be issued with a successful planning application.

Eircode data is captured by the postman noticing the address is active and recording it.

That’s how they’re issued.

Still nothing to do with the postman delivering post without an Eircode.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Still nothing to do with the postman delivering post without an Eircode.

You’ll still get letters delivered, with or without it, albeit it’s making machine sorting more accurate.

I notice anytime anyone mentions Eircode in almost any context on Twitter for example there’s usually a few posters who pile on claiming it’s useless.

It’s an extremely useful tool but it’s this long, drawn out and very opaque system for assigning them that’s becoming problematic for new build premises. That needs to be raised with the Minister and ComReg as it’s causing significant issues for consumers and for telcos.

It should be possible to request an eircode be assigned if it’s not there. Instead it’s like there’s a magical unseen process with no way of contacting anyone.

• Advertisement

You’ll still get letters delivered, with or without it, albeit it’s making machine sorting more accurate.

I notice anytime anyone mentions Eircode in almost any context on Twitter for example there’s usually a few posters who pile on claiming it’s useless.

It’s an extremely useful tool but it’s this long, drawn out and very opaque system for assigning them that’s becoming problematic for new build premises. That needs to be raised with the Minister and ComReg as it’s causing significant issues for consumers and for telcos.

It should be possible to request an eircode be assigned if it’s not there. Instead it’s like there’s a magical unseen process with no way of contacting anyone.

I'm not sure what you're getting at by quoting me. I think Eircodes are wonderful. We've never had a failed courier delivery since it came in and an ambulance request to a very rural location was sppeded up by having an Eircode. My point, which you seem to keep avoiding, is that the postman and the delivery of post is not impacted by Eircodes. An Post don't use them. The first three characters refer to a sorting office but post is not delayed by the absence of an Eircode nor does it impact on post sorting.
    As to the need to be able to request a new code; of course it should be easier but the comment earlier about the postman still delivering post has absolutely nothing to do with it.

What do you mean “that your avoiding and I’m getting at” ?

I’m not trying have a row! Use Eircode or don’t use it! I don’t care and I’m only responding to try and point out that there’s a serious flaw in how it works that’s causing significant frustration for consumers, particularly for broadband services.

All I’m pointing out is your postman is acquiring the data when post starts arriving at the address and that’s what triggers the Eircode assignment. So it is linked very directly to mail delivery being active to a given address.

It’s meant to be easy, but it’s resulting in new properties not appearing in the database for long periods of time and that’s resulting in people being unable to access installation of utilities. It’s something ComReg or the Minister need to resolve as the system doesn’t work properly for new builds and is causing significant problems.

It should be possible to trigger an eircode allocation immediately upon moving in, and preferably before hand.

If you’re building a house, one of the work arounds is to send a few letters to the unfinished house and put a mailbox up. Then they’ll potentially assign one before it’s complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What do you mean “that your avoiding and I’m getting at” ?

I’m not trying have a row! Use Eircode or don’t use it! I don’t care and I’m only responding to try and point out that there’s a serious flaw in how it works that’s causing significant frustration for consumers, particularly for broadband services.

All I’m pointing out is your postman is acquiring the data when post starts arriving at the address and that’s what triggers the Eircode assignment. So it is linked very directly to mail delivery being active to a given address.

It’s meant to be easy, but it’s resulting in new properties not appearing in the database for long periods of time and that’s resulting in people being unable to access installation of utilities. It’s something ComReg or the Minister need to resolve as the system doesn’t work properly for new builds and is causing significant problems.

It should be possible to trigger an eircode allocation immediately upon moving in, and preferably before hand.

If you’re building a house, one of the work arounds is to send a few letters to the unfinished house and put a mailbox up. Then they’ll potentially assign one before it’s complete.

I thought An Post had nothing to with EirCodes as they use their own Geo Directory for deliveries, which is why they where opposed to the introduction of post codes as they had a nice earner selling the Geo Directory to others. Are they now feeding information to EirCode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

You think, or you know?

I thought Eircodes were allocated based on Electricity connection (MPRN) but not certain.

athlone573 wrote: »
    You think, or you know?

I thought Eircodes were allocated based on Electricity connection (MPRN) but not certain.

It’s from the Geodirectory database but that’s sourced as follows:

The main sources of data for GeoDirectory are:
    • OSi Large Scale Map Database.
    • An Post ground validation.
    • OSi rectified Aerial Photography (Ortho-photography).
    • Feedback from An Post usage:
    -Automated Mail Sorting
    -CRM Systems

New buildings are mostly triggered by the ground validation and appearance of a new address on letters in automatic sorting. It won’t recognise the address and it’ll be flagged to verify.

Then the building has to be drawn into maps etc if it didn’t exist.

My point is in new build that should be pulled in from the planning approval. All the drawings etc are there.

MPRN is the ESBs private database. Same with GPRN for Gas Networks Ireland. Both of those were introduced to avoid issues with inaccurate Irish addressing.

Eir used to use landline numbers as a database key but they’re useless for prospective customers and not every premises is going to be connected to Eir when you’ve Siro, Virgin, NBI, wireless ISPs and households that might use mobile or nothing. That why Eircode became a very useful tool for broadband

They need to solve the issue with new build though. The lead time to getting an Eircode is a stumbling block for hooking up services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

It’s from the Geodirectory database but that’s sourced as follows:

... Snip... .

My point is in new build that should be pulled in from the planning approval. All the drawings etc are there.

Thanks for clarifying, nothing to do with MPRN so.
    I guess the drawback with basing it on planning applications is that not everything applied for actually gets built.

For the OP, I'm sure it's a stressful time but having to use hot-spot for a couple of months isn't the end of the world.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying, nothing to do with MPRN so.
    I guess the drawback with basing it on planning applications is that not everything applied for actually gets built.

For the OP, I'm sure it's a stressful time but having to use hot-spot for a couple of months isn't the end of the world.

Unfortunately due to the steel beams used in the construction of the house and attic, the signal around the house is "E" with two bars of H+ if we open a window upstairs and prop a phone in the frame :pac:
    Getting the kids schoolwork off SeeSaw has obviously become an issue too - if the schools closed again we would be snookered :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The only time a postman uses the eircode is when he doesn't recognise the name on the letter/ parcel. Or the written address on it is wrong but there's an eircode on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Well there's something odd happening in at least one Dublin office where they are continuously getting eircode allocation letters when the shell of the building has just started construction

That’s what I mean... opaque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

How did utility companies manage pre-Eircode and why don't they have a fallback for the many instances where a build building won't yet have an Eircode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How did utility companies manage pre-Eircode and why don't they have a fallback for the many instances where a build building won't yet have an Eircode?

In the case of telecoms and broadband, badly. Often take orders that couldn't be fulfilled easily (landline) or at all (broadband, cable)

In case anyone wanted an update on the Eircode front, the quarterly release for mid-May did not include any of the houses in our estate - some of which have been occupied since the middle of March. We have been told that there is absolutely nothing we can do (that we haven't already done) save wait for the next release in the middle of August.

Raise the Eircode allocation issue with your local TDs it needs to be highlighted as it’s clearly a significant issue for new build homes and utility connections.

Raise the Eircode allocation issue with your local TDs it needs to be highlighted as it’s clearly a significant issue for new build homes and utility connections.

That's the next step for sure. We couldn't even order a new sofa yesterday evening without it, and no IKEA deliveries without one either. Real pain in the behind!

The only way this will get resolved is to put some political pressure on. Eircode is ultimately a public asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

We are after running into this exact same problem.....

In a tv/broadband contract with vodafone, i want to move the broadband package to the new house...but it has no eircode yet which will take months to come through!! So we will get stung with a hefty cancellation fee and still have no internet provider for months without an eircode....WHAT A JOKE!

you would swear nothing got done a few years ago when eircodes didnt exist!!

Has anyone any ideas/solutions???

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

What about looking at a company that does satellite broadband in that area?

Will be an additional charge but might get you up & running with enough service until the eircode is available.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Eircodes are updated quarterly and up to a month for the directory to update, so at the very worst you are waiting 4 months.

You can put a query into geo directory who collate the info https://www.geodirectory.ie/get-in-touch

I have a property that had eircode mixed with property next door. I sent the query in February and it was showing correct early April

• Advertisement

Update: We have had our Eircode since July 15th. Do we have internet? No. As it stands, OpenEir have not updated any details and we have been advised that we could be waiting another 6 months to a year for them to update their directory to include us. Not one single company has been able to offer us any solutions and we have spoken to NBI who say we don't exist on their maps but we do on the DECC map which would indicate we are connected to a cabinet. We contacted the DECC and are currently in a minimum 20 working day wait for a response. Just in case anyone else waiting for their Eircode to bring them the joy of the internet, apparently getting it means diddly squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aaron d

How did you get on?

We are currently looking at moving into a new build apartment complex in Santry. It has an eircode however the connection is showing as red on their system meaning it has not yet been made live by openeir (which i was told can take up to a year following creation of eircode)..

After registering an official complaint with the DECC in the middle of July, the whole thing was very swiftly resolved within a fortnight! However, in our specific case we were live and connected via the DECC, but not on the NBI map, which a rep from NBI said was likely due to someone not forwarding on the details they should have. I'm not sure if the same whoopsie would apply to your situation. We will be living here a year next month and there are many services we can still not avail of as our Eircode doesn't exist, example a Tesco delivery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Plenty of developers do. I'm waiting on a new build and I had the Eircode before the foundations were even finished. Each property in the entire phase is already on the Eircode map even though it wont be ready for 6 + months.

It should be a criteria of the planning permission that the Eircode application is made when construction gets underway tbh. Mortgage lenders often require it as do insurers and we can see there are serious issues with service providers when one isn't available. The developer shouldn't be allowed hand over the property and take final payment until the Eircode is assigned. You can be sure it would be sorted fairly lively if that was the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

Just to help anybody who comes across this thread .The DECC are useless and i spent nearly a full year arguing with them

The best person to contact is your local broadband officer with you local city/county council .They have direct contact with KN and could find out when your area is due to have cabling etc done

You might like the answer but keep pushing them and send a letter to evert TD in your local area .They can raise it in the Dail and EIR have to respond to them with a update

Advertisement