Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl v. Aldi Cordless Tools

Options
  • 01-04-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭

So which is best? I will be replacing my old nicad drill & over time, other tools.

The decision is whether to build around Lidl batteries or Aldi?

Comments

two cheeks of the same arse

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Top tip.

Don't build your entire tool arsenal around one brand. Different brands get some things right and some things very very wrong.

Building around an entire marquee just because of a handful of batteries is mad. I've got multiple tools from multiple marques out there. Some share batteries some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wouldn't base everything on one battery. My experience with Parkside has been very good but I also have an Aldi battery mower that's been excellent. The biggest concern is the risk that the batteries will change.

I would buy another Makita but I use a drill rarely. Most of my light drilling is done with a Milwaukee 12 volt.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Picked up the Lidl Parkside drill today plus standard battery with charger having borrowed one previously, very happy with it and perfect for my level and quantity of DIY. 25 + 30 = €55 great value imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

We moved into a house last year which needed some work done but I had no existing power tools. I took the plunge on Lidl(parkside) tools. I bought into the single battery for all tools idea. I ended up getting the drill, impact wrench, circular saw, nailer, oscillating multitool, hedge trimmer, and chainsaw.

Some tools were better than others, the drill isn't great (had problems with the chuck and motor) and the circular saw was terribly under powered (I burned out the motor), however lidl replaced both tools without hesitation. Everything had 3 year warranty and as most came with a battery I've plenty of spares to interchange (I did buy some large 4ah battery's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I had a number of Workzone 18V and the later Ferrex 20V tools so stuck with those.

It turns out that they are made by Positec who make Worx, Erbauer etc. tools so they are compatible with the Worx 20V max range and the previous version Erbauer tools along with a few others.
    This is useful because Worx sell pretty much every tool imaginable.
    The later Active energy 20/40V system is not compatible with anything else that I'm aware of, but Aldi still stock tools on the older 20V system occasionally.

Lidl's current Parkside system has been around a while and they seem to stock more tools on a more regular basis than Aldi. Their list prices are that bit keener generally I think. They were supposed to have a 4Ah battery today for €30, although I couldn't locate one.

One final advantage for Aldi is that they do clear tools at very low prices occasionally.
    I managed to pick up a fan with 2 batteries and charger, an impact driver with battery and charger plus an electric plane with battery and charger for a total of €75.
    The plane alone was worth more than that.

All these 18V / 20V battery systems are essentially just 5 x 18650 lithium cells in a box with a connector and some rudimentary cell and temperature monitoring.
    It would be great for everyone if the EU forced all brands to standardise on a single interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

air wrote: »
    I had a number of Workzone 18V and the later Ferrex 20V tools so stuck with those.

It turns out that they are made by Positec who make Worx, Erbauer etc. tools so they are compatible with the Worx 20V max range and the previous version Erbauer tools along with a few others.
    This is useful because Worx sell pretty much every tool imaginable.
    The later Active energy 20/40V system is not compatible with anything else that I'm aware of, but Aldi still stock tools on the older 20V system occasionally.

Lidl's current Parkside system has been around a while and they seem to stock more tools on a more regular basis than Aldi. Their list prices are that bit keener generally I think. They were supposed to have a 4Ah battery today for €30, although I couldn't locate one.

One final advantage for Aldi is that they do clear tools at very low prices occasionally.
    I managed to pick up a fan with 2 batteries and charger, an impact driver with battery and charger plus an electric plane with battery and charger for a total of €75.
    The plane alone was worth more than that.

All these 18V / 20V battery systems are essentially just 5 x 18650 lithium cells in a box with a connector and some rudimentary cell and temperature monitoring.
    It would be great for everyone if the EU forced all brands to standardise on a single interface.

You can get Parkside batteries from this crowd in Germany. I got a 4 Ah one a couple of weeks ago for €28 delivered. Seem to be currently out of stock:

https://www.kompernass.com/de/zubehoer/396/4ah-akku-zu-x20v-family

Thanks for that, I picked up a lawn mower for a friend, that could be very handy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Derby1

Do you recall how much the hedgetrimmer was? I have a hoover and a leaf blower with 3 batteries and 2 chargers. A guy on ebay is selling a parkside 20v hedgetrimmer for €80 (£65), box damaged and bare, so no battery or charger. The only place I see them for sale is USA at $30 bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Bought a pressure washer from Lidl last year and the plastic (!) piping inside broke on me about 1 hour in the job ;) Learnt my lesson.

On a positive note, their service (located in UK) is hassle-free and fast and they reimburse with few or no questions. So, you really have no risk trying stuff out. If you only use a tool a few times a year, I think the quality is sufficient.

As others posted above, I would not try to build an ecosystem around their battery system as nobody knows when and how they change things. I agree on the previous point on variety. For battery-run stuff, I have bigger brands like DeWalt and Metabo. For everything corded I go broad, but prefer brands if the price difference is little.

• Advertisement

Sorry I don't ever recall seeing a hedge trimmer, I'm not as familiar with the Parkside stuff but 80 bare sounds saucy if it's $30 in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Any opinions on the combi drill on sale this Sunday from Aldi? Would be looking for some basic DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

I have two tools from Aldi that use the Activ Energy battery.

lidl currently have an electric sander in stock which I need but wondering if the Parkside Sander tool they are selling in Lidl would work using an Activ Energy batter that I bought in Aldi?

Probably a silly question but the batteries look very similar

Post edited by Green Mile on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gus75

Compatible batteries?

I've got a 20V ROK drill from Woodies, a bargain at €40 with 2 batteries.

Now I need a jigsaw and Lidl is selling a nice looking Parkside 20V without battery.

Has anybody tried a ROK 20V battery on a Parkside 20V tool?

The batteries seem similar enough but some hacking required...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

those batteries are significantly different - 5 terminals on the ROK, 4 on the Parkside as well as a different shape where they slot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I buy the tools I regularly use (combi drill, impact driver, circular saw and sds drill) in DeWalt and then I have a good few of the cordless Parkside tools then that I would rarely use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know several upset Lidl customers who bought tools, or want to buy but Lidl have run out of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭G-Man

This is getting like phone chargers .. EU should force similar connection standards.. It would allow more interchange and prevent ewaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jessie_520

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Why ? Power tools are about power and the power comes from the batteries - The technology in the batteries at the high end (Milwaukee etc) are major selling points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I know the title is cordless tools but if you want proper power tools, either have them corded and running off the mains or petrol engine driven. IMHO.

I have a cordless screwdriver which is great but that's about it as regards batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why not? Given the right adapter the batteries within the voltage ranges are interchangeable anyway. So if Milwaukee batteries are so good why not use them in a cheaper tool?

Example Milwaukee batteries in a Ryobi tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Adapter-Compatible-Adaptor-Milwaukee/dp/B09D3CWXK6/

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sounds like Apple breaking the law with their chargers, we can't get enough power for our phone for USB-C yet our more powerful laptop has USB-C!

What extra technology can you put in a battery? The basic technology is the same, they can use better materials for more energy density but ergonomics means that they are all roughly the same size and weight. Common connections can be done, but then they can't lock you into an ecosystem and have to buy their expensive batteries instead of generic ones.

Grand, but I don't buy it. Batteries add weight to power tools, which makes them more tiring to use. Then there's the whole environmental aspect of the materials required in these batteries and what to do with them when they are knackered. Cordless power tools do have a place for sure, where it's hard or hassle to run a cable too, but as far as this DIYer is concerned, that's it.

Grand, You don't buy it , That's up to you, Milwaukee literally releases dozens of new tools every year on the M18 Platform. As it stands They have over 200 different 18V Cordless Tools! https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/M18 So they are wrong and you are right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't dream of buying a battery powered tool where a mains tool is usable. why have the hassle of keeping batteries charged, the extra expense, as you mention the environmental expense, etc., for little benefit?

the only battery powered tool i have is a dewalt screwdriver.

Well, they're only right insofar as they have sufficient customers to buy their products. That's how business generally works - you're only as a good as you're last customer and you supply what the market wants :)

Apart from that Milwaukee make decent tools, designed to last, as far as I know. Not the tat that comes from Lidl/ Aldi.

Agreed, the cordless screwdriver is/was a really useful invention.

• Advertisement

Advertisement