Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picture PEEHS - The Name That TV CHARACTER Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

There is a fab community of generous spirit and positive care here. I'm sad that the world isn't bringing ye the good things ye deserve, and I hope ye both continue to feel support here in whatever way ye need it at these times. I'm skulking in a hospital bed being cheered up by reading funny and possibly accurate (;)) castings in movies myself :pac: thinking I was so lucky to stumble in here in Jan when I needed a little distraction and kindness. Ye are both, as with all of the people here, firmly in my oxycodone covered thoughts tonight! Hugs all around! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Get well soon ari... oh and when you're done with the movie castings you should check out the ongoing Walrus you entered ;)

Necro wrote: »
    Get well soon ari... oh and when you're done with the movie castings you should check out the ongoing Walrus you entered ;)

Thanks, I started with the oldest active threads (must be ocd) and yours keeps running away faster than I catch up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,677 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

ari101 wrote: »
    Thanks, I started with the oldest active threads (must be ocd) and yours keeps running away faster than I catch up :D
    I wouldn't bother with the walrus, to be honest ;)

Hope you're doing ok Ari

I wouldn't bother with the walrus, to be honest ;)

Hope you're doing ok Ari

Yup, supposedly this point is over the worst, and I'm on the home stretch even if there are a few more hurdles (crosses lots of stuff ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yup, supposedly this point is over the worst, and I'm on the home stretch even if there are a few more hurdles (crosses lots of stuff ;))

I'm sure I speak for all of Forum Gamers here when I say we'll all be wishing you a full recovery and sending positive vibes your way.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Please tell me if Im talking out of turn, aka please tell me to fcuk off, but I firmly believe in true love and its power to give people strength.

My Mam has been in hospital since 18 May last year and shes battled Delleium, infections, Covid and pneumonia. Its always been touch and go, and that while shes fighting away I know hiw quickly things can change.

Be separated from my Mam has afffected him. He cant visit video calls only go so far and hes massively lonely. Things could easily turn for the worse for her. And I fear if anything happened to her, the grief would kill him.

Right now the hope of her coming home may slim in the near future but its keeping him going. Hes incredibly optimistic and that belief gives him the strength to carry on. He loves her so much that it gives him strength.

If anything happened her, I fear he'd lose his own will to live. So I can only imagine what your granny went through losing her love of her life and how you must feel losing them both so quickly.

Im not a majority religious guy, but I do believe there's more to death than bleekness. I believe that loved ones will meet again somehow after death and that they are with eachother as they should.

I really hope you are ok LeVar. Feel free to act the sarcastic prick towards me anytime if it helps.

Thanking for sharing that beaker.

I hope your Mam pulls through and that they both have many more years together, and you have many more years with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is a fab community of generous spirit and positive care here. I'm sad that the world isn't bringing ye the good things ye deserve, and I hope ye both continue to feel support here in whatever way ye need it at these times. I'm skulking in a hospital bed being cheered up by reading funny and possibly accurate (;)) castings in movies myself :pac: thinking I was so lucky to stumble in here in Jan when I needed a little distraction and kindness. Ye are both, as with all of the people here, firmly in my oxycodone covered thoughts tonight! Hugs all around! :)

Take Care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Yeah, my mam's parents. Wasn't very close to my Dad or his family growing up, so my Granny and Granda filled that other parental role, and I went to live with them for a couple of years during and after college (as we had a full house at home and I gave up my bedroom there to my niece for a few years). I was also their first grandchild, so was fussed over and worried about more-so than the others, long after I was big enough and bold enough to be able to look out for myself... ;)

Up until last year the whole family aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, all went around there for lunch every Saturday, which had been the tradition for at least my whole life anyway, and there could be up to 27 people there for lunch every week (sometimes people would be away, or working, or have something on, but the majority would still be there without fail), so the Pandemic and Restrictions had made it extra tough on them. We expected Granda, he had Parkinsons for a good few years, and then Dementia in the last year or two, but Granny had been fine up until a few days ago, so it kind of came out of left field.
    So they were grandparents to you by birth but so much more in reality. That is very tough. And while losing your Granda was very hard you had probably come to terms a little with losing part of him because of the dementia and having other health issues made it more expected when he did pass. But losing your Granny unexpectedly is very hard particularly because of the closeness of your bond with her.

They sound like amazing people. It's lovely that they were the centre of your family's life for Saturday lunches. People are very busy these days (before Covid anyway) and if that number of people gathered every week that speaks volumes about how special they really were. What wonderful memories you will have of those times.

Still very tough days ahead for you. Be kind to yourself and take care of yourself physically and emotionally.

Had been hoping to do this reveal on Tuesday evening shortly after the Sign-Ups close, but just in case people were definitely expecting it on Tuesday, just wanted to give the heads up that there's a good chance I may not get around to doing it this week at all.

My Granny died during the night, only 50 days after my Granda passed away, so I may not be in the hosting headspace this week, and of course depending on wake/funeral arrangements.

On the other hand I may very well welcome the distraction for an hour or so on Tuesday and fire off the reveal as planned, so I'll play it by ear for now.

Keeping the deadline as is (6pm Tuesday) if anyone else is still hoping to get in an entry just send in a PM before then.

I am very sorry for your losses

• Advertisement

I agree with this. I mentioned that I lost my grandparents close together, and I firmly believe that was no coincidence. Now that a few years have past I happily romanticise that fact, it actually makes it a lot easier for me

I think of Johnny Cash and June, he died soon after her broken hearted, sorry if that sounds stupid or insenstive, life is precious so live every day to the fullest

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Please tell me if Im talking out of turn, aka please tell me to fcuk off, but I firmly believe in true love and its power to give people strength.

My Mam has been in hospital since 18 May last year and shes battled Delleium, infections, Covid and pneumonia. Its always been touch and go, and that while shes fighting away I know hiw quickly things can change.

Be separated from my Mam has afffected him. He cant visit video calls only go so far and hes massively lonely. Things could easily turn for the worse for her. And I fear if anything happened to her, the grief would kill him.

Right now the hope of her coming home may slim in the near future but its keeping him going. Hes incredibly optimistic and that belief gives him the strength to carry on. He loves her so much that it gives him strength.

If anything happened her, I fear he'd lose his own will to live. So I can only imagine what your granny went through losing her love of her life and how you must feel losing them both so quickly.

Im not a majority religious guy, but I do believe there's more to death than bleekness. I believe that loved ones will meet again somehow after death and that they are with eachother as they should.

I really hope you are ok LeVar. Feel free to act the sarcastic prick towards me anytime if it helps.

It wasn't easy I am sure to write what you did beakerjoe. That's very tough to read and while all of us have been through tough times Covid has made difficult situations into horrendous ones for so many because of not being allowed a physical visit with a loved one. Your dad sounds like a wonderful person, keeping positive and having hope is not easy. But people of his generation (like my mother's) have a resilience and mental strength that many of us don't have, and they are an example to us. I hope your Mam gets through this and they have more time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Really sorry for your loss LeVar. I hope you are doing as well as you can in such a tough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Sorry for your loss levar

*bear hug*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get well soon ari.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just caught up with the rest of the thread.

Sorry to hear about your family situation Beaker and hope you make a quick recovery Ari

I never realised you were unwell. Fair play to you for being so positive and cheerful always in threads. Hope you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I never realised you were unwell. Fair play to you for being so positive and cheerful always in threads. Hope you will be ok.

Likewise. Best wishes!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Likewise. Best wishes!

It's been a somewhat 'planned' unwell since I found out I was unwell last year, so I generally focus on the fun and the good stuff! :) But sometimes you gotta appreciate this is an unusually lovely corner of the internet to have discovered, it's like the opposite of twitter :D that and I'm blaming any blubbing on the good drugs :pac:

It's been a somewhat 'planned' unwell since I found out I was unwell last year, so I generally focus on the fun and the good stuff! :) But sometimes you gotta appreciate this is an unusually lovely corner of the internet to have discovered, it's like the opposite of twitter :D that and I'm blaming any blubbing on the good drugs :pac:

It's the Disneyland of boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Wishing you a quick recovery ari.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hope you have a speedy recovery ari, and speaking from experience, keep taking the good drugs for as long you feel you need them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Get well soon ari as we need you for future MS paints. I was very impressed with one of your efforts in a recent game. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Reberetta wrote: »
    Get well soon ari as we need you for future MS paints. I was very impressed with one of your efforts in a recent game. ;)
    As was I! Even more so now that I know you were under the weather!!!

Right arm already in physio preparing for another masterpiece ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Just entered there and catching up on the thread.
    So sorry for your loss LeVar
    Hopefully your mam beaker will start feeling better soon, and you too Ari.

This is such a friendly corner of the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Just entered there and catching up on the thread.
    So sorry for your loss LeVar
    Hopefully your mam beaker will start feeling better soon, and you too Ari.

This is such a friendly corner of the internet

Let me take this opportunity to pass on my condolences and sympathy to Levar. As hurlingman97 said, I hope your Mum gets well soon Beaker, and best wishes to you Ari.

Ok, let's do this thing today...

Last call for entries... Deadline for entries is 6 pm

Reveal is 6.05 pm

(the separate Reveal Thread will go LIVE before 6pm, check back here for the link before then)

Updated Player List...

38 players:

aaronjennings
    Alfred Borden
    ari101
    Barna77
    beakerjoe
    bubblypop
    BuileBeag
    CastorTroy
    cee_jay
    Collie D
    davetherave
    Declan A Walsh
    Ectoplasm
    EEFGGFEDCCDEED
    Electric Nitwit
    HeidiHeidi
    Billy Screeching Bassoon
    HildaOgdenx
    Homer J. Fong
    hurlingman97
    Irish Aris
    JohnGreenFan
    JP Liz V1
    KathleenGrant
    Kolido
    lassykk
    Mam of 4
    Necro
    Omackeral
    osh
    Reberetta
    Rikand
    Sawduck
    Sephiroth_dude
    ShaneU
    Strawberry Milkshake
    the purple tin
    Zaph

I just remembered that this is the quiz i didn't have an answer in every round. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I just remembered that this is the quiz i didn't have an answer in every round. :D

That makes two of us! Hopefully there's more of us! ;):confused:

Advertisement