Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ box breaking down. Options?

• 22-03-2021 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

My Sky+ box has been acting up for weeks - the epg only goes 6 hours into the future, no onformation available on programmes and most importantly, no satellite signal for either some or all channels, coming and going for no apparent reason. After following their algorithm it appears one my two inputs is not locked, which apparently needs an engineer, so when I click to get an engineer it takes me to "upgrade to Sky Q."

I feel I'm being railroaded into paying significantly extra (€19 per month) for extras I don't really need or want. Do I just have to suck this up and pay the extra or leave Sky? I also have phone and broadband with them and my attempts to speak to a human were thwarted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just tell them you want to cancel, they'll soon do a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What does Sky provide you with that you cannot get easily by other means? ...... FTA satellite, NOW etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

Why is it 19 extra per month. I replaced my Sky+ box with Sky Q and for the same price. Basic package but have multiroom. No HD (RTÉ is HD as is BBC anyway). Sky was on boards at the time and did it via PM first. Sky signature is 36 plus 18 for multiroom. Why stick with them ? Convenience. Got the 2Tb box free as I’m a long term customer. Worth bargaining for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, convenience and familiarity is a big reason for sticking with them, they do get some programmes we watch and the box is (or was) easy to use. That said, I'm not wedded to them and there may well be other equivalent options out there.
    I couldn't find a support human but may have better luck with finding a human re upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If the issue is your box, you could always pick up a second hand one on Adverts: https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_sky+plus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

My Sky+ box has been acting up for weeks - the epg only goes 6 hours into the future, no onformation available on programmes and most importantly, no satellite signal for either some or all channels, coming and going for no apparent reason. After following their algorithm it appears one my two inputs is not locked, which apparently needs an engineer, so when I click to get an engineer it takes me to "upgrade to Sky Q."

I feel I'm being railroaded into paying significantly extra (€19 per month) for extras I don't really need or want. Do I just have to suck this up and pay the extra or leave Sky? I also have phone and broadband with them and my attempts to speak to a human were thwarted.

I would strongly suspect that the problem is with your dish, rather than your box. The full EPG is broadcast on a specific channel and if this is not available you'll only get a limited set of information, as you describe.

I left Sky a number of years ago. When I was with them I had trouble with my dish,which had to be replaced. They waived all charges when I refused to pay and asked to be put through to cancellations. (Mind you, I wasn't messing and would have left in a heartbeat.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks again folks. I rang them to upgrade and got a human straight away, unlike the impossible task of finding a human when I wanted support. I'm getting the Q for no extra cost (the website definitely said it would cost extra) and I suppose we'll then see if the dish is acting up as well.

Advertisement