Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW service price independent vs dealer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

nailstar wrote: »
    Each to their own....

Exactly, If I have extra cash lying around and no other priorities, I don't mind spending it on a nicer car, I guess sometime in the future I will own a Mercedes CLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

FrankC21 wrote: »
    That's expensive €200 for oil & filter change only, Glad I have a fluence and I pay €120 that includes oil, oil & air filter, diag, coolant top up, and the indie mechanic collects the car from work and brings it back, afterwards, rather than spending my day off going to get the car service.

And it is still under Windsor warranty, last time I brought it back to them for faults, they did not even bother to check whether I got the service done with them.
    Sounds like cheap oil, cheap filters and it shouldn't need the coolant topped up. You have a leak, check it out ASAP.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Sounds like cheap oil, cheap filters and it shouldn't need the coolant topped up. You have a leak, check it out ASAP.

Nope, he uses a fully synthetic oil, he gives me the receipt of the parts he bought.

You're saying after commuting of 3,000km per month and waiting 10-15,000km for a service, the coolant would still be in max level??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Exactly, If I have extra cash lying around and no other priorities, I don't mind spending it on a nicer car, I guess sometime in the future I will own a Mercedes CLA.

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nope, he uses a fully synthetic oil, he gives me the receipt of the parts he bought.

You're saying after commuting of 3,000km per month and waiting 10-15,000km for a service, the coolant would still be in max level??

Yes, it should be. It is a pressurised system, there shouldn't be anywhere for the coolant to escape.

• Advertisement

Post a picture of the receipt for the parts here please. I would love to see how much all the parts cost.
    Your car shouldn't lose any coolant regardless of time or mileage. It should be at the max level.
    My mother's 99 yaris hasn't lost any coolant in 7 years and 88000 miles.
    You need to find out why your car is losing coolant ASAP.
    Your mechanic should have told you this.

grogi wrote: »
    Yes, it should be. It is a pressurised system, there shouldn't be anywhere for the coolant to escape.

Ok, still don't agree, coolant will have percentage of water in it one way or the other, water evaporate to a certain degree. Every second sunday morning I blast the fluence up to 150-180km/h @ over 3000rpm for 20-30mins I'm pretty sure that causes the engine temperature to be really hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ok, still don't agree, coolant will have percentage of water in it one way or the other, water evaporate to a certain degree. Every second sunday morning I blast the fluence up to 150-180km/h @ over 3000rpm for 20-30mins I'm pretty sure that causes the engine temperature to be really hot.

I have done more that half million km in my life and the only times my car was loosing coolant in rate visible to.the eye was when there a leak: once at the thermostat housing and once from the heater.

If the system is fine, there still won't be enough pressure for evaporated water to escape. You might have a small leak at the gasket, microcrack in the engine head etc...

There is safety valve, typically at the reservoir, but it should never engage in cooling system that works correctly.

You shouldn't be driving on public roads at that speed, your a disgrace and more importantly a troll of the highest order!

kermitpwee wrote: »
    You shouldn't be driving on public roads at that speed, your a disgrace and more importantly a troll of the highest order!

I always thought it’s necessary to do an Italian tune up, I do it early Sunday morning on the motorway when most people are sleeping.

• Advertisement

You're getting plenty air flow there.
    Again, your coolant system is a closed system, there is no potential for evaporation.... If you need to top up it's leaking.

Also post up the receipt or the details for the parts...

Augeo wrote: »
    You're getting plenty air flow there.
    Again, your coolant system is a closed system, there is no potential for evaporation.... If you need to top up it's leaking.

Also post up the receipt or the details for the parts...

It’s not really a significant loss of coolant near minimum just goes down about below the max level.

Well i will keep a close eye on it.

As per request

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Frank, when you’re doing the fuel filter, make sure you use an actual Renault branded one rather than a generic brand.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Frank, when you’re doing the fuel filter, make sure you use an actual Renault branded one rather than a generic brand.

Hi colm,

Ok, ill let my mechanic know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Not sure where you all are getting 200 for an oil service in BMW. My 520d is 143 euro for an oil service, if you have BMW first it's lower again.

I go to Bolands also but I do an interim oil change at a local garage who I trust. I supply oil and filter (Fuchs oil and Mann filter - approx 65 euro) and the local garage charges 30 including oil recycling charge.

This way my oil is changed at approximately 12k km and I have full dealer history too.

Typically in Bolands I will get brake fluid, air filter, or oil change when necessary as I think these are priced fairly.

What is not priced fairly at the dealers are brake pads/discs and the cabin/microfilter which are nothing short of outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Hi colm,

Ok, ill let my mechanic know. Thanks

overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

How much is an oil service these days for a 5 series. BMW website saying €460.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Prices will have certainly gone up quiet a bit since this thread was started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Some Independent dealers have invested way too much money on tools Equipment etc and think can charge main dealer prices off there head in my eyes there very Popular garage owner in dundalk who put video on Facebook ect one video was he bought road spring compressor 3 thousands euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mac167

Yeah I know which one you are talking about. I was charged 340 for a full service for my 1.2 Nissan, which is a lot for this kind of car. Oil and filter replaced and topped up, checks done and thats it. To be fair the owner seems to be a knowledgeable and nice person but I can't bring myself to his place for my next service because of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭User1998

Thats crazy. It should be less than half that for an oil & oil filter on a 1.2 Nissan. Surely that has to be more expensive than main dealers?

It is my first car and my first time brought it to full service. I didn't know much until after the service and realised I have paid far more than I should. Don't get me wrong the garage and owner seems very professional, I'm guessing they charged the price accordingly 😣

Hopefully for that price Spark plugs air filter and pollen filter was included.

Point I'm making some Independent garage are investing big money on tools ect so can't afford to be much if any cheaper than dealer

They checked the spark plugs but didnt replaced them, said they were fine.

340 for oil change on small engine I can see why you won't be going back I wouldn't too . But to be fair to place seen on there video there was Losing out on a lot work ect over price and now do basic oil (4 litre or less) and filter change for 150 and no more just quick look at brake pads and out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Fwiw I paid 296 during the week for a full service on a 2 litre diesel avensis oil oil filter air filter and fuel filter replacement and check over.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Water2626262

Have to say I’ve found the bmw service experience decent. Previously had an Audi and was disgusted with how they try and get a few grand out of you. It seemed like if a part was used even once then it should be replaced.

never got a shock bill from the bmw garage. I was a bit annoyed last time as I had to get a vehicle check which seemed like nonsense. I was getting a full service anyway and they could barely explain to me what the vehicle check covered on top. They tried to claim it was diagnostics but sure they charge you for “standard scope” already.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

How much approx for an oil and filter change on a 3 litre diesel BMW at an independent Vs a main dealer?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

Think I paid around 500 for full service in main dealer including oil, filter, pollen filter and flush and replace brake fluid.

Advertisement