Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larch beams... Ideas on paint

Options
  • 20-03-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭

I've two larch beams here, they're 10'x6' new but I've planed and sanded them trying to get an oldish look on them. they will be both decorative and load bearing. Wonder has anyone any ideas on which paint to use as I wouldn't like to ruin them, ive heard someone mention painting larch with tea to get a distressed look on them, any ideas tia, will post a picture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Picture of them, they're 12' long and going into a bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Picture of them, they're 12' long and going into a bedroom

Lovely timber. Have a look at osmo oil or a sikkens product for coating the timber

• Registered Users Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can accelerate the natural ageing of larch with a product like Sioo:X.

It's designed for external applications but I don't see why you couldn't apply it, leave the beams outside for a couple of weeks, wetting them regularly to help the chemical reaction.

You do need an open surface though, so no finer than 60 grit sanding.

Lumen wrote: »
    You can accelerate the natural ageing of larch with a product like Sioo:X.

It's designed for external applications but I don't see why you couldn't apply it, leave the beams outside for a couple of weeks, wetting them regularly to help the chemical reaction.

You do need an open surface though, so no finer than 60 grit sanding.

Thats serious stuff, had a look there, at the moment I'd nearly be afraid to chance using it in case I destroy them but I wont rule it out.
    I sanded them with a belt sander and then finished with an orbital sander but I could go over them again with a rough belt
    The burnishing doesn't do it at all for me at all so that might suit, I'll see im open

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

We used Danish oil on our beams. Darkened them up but nothing to dark.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

We used Danish oil on our beams. Darkened them up but nothing to dark.

Thanks for the reply, any pic of how they came out? was the wood newly machined?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Thanks for the reply, any pic of how they came out? was the wood newly machined?

Ill try and find a b4 and after shot.

Ours came straight from the sawmill already planed, I used an orbital sander to finish them.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Always test on off cuts first. Rule number one :)

Advertisement