Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eir Sport closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Where will the Saturday Allianz Leagues go Virgin , Rte or could sky go after the Saturday games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Hopefully Eir offload everything to Virgin Media Sport although trust is probably at a very low point between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s a pity there is probably a need for someone to show LOI, GAA and pro16 domestically along with some other bits and pieces but financially it’s probably not a runner

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The death of the old Setanta that rebounded as eir...who will play the schools rugby etc now? No UK broadcaster will be interested...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The old Setanta may be dead (or near dead), but I think the way out is through the very much alive new Setanta, Premier Sports (the black and yellow logo is *not* a coincidence!!!). A sale back to them would be the best option I think for everyone and a good fit with the existing operation. Indeed Premier Sports already does hold the Leinster Senior Schools Cup rights in their own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The death of the old Setanta that rebounded as eir...who will play the schools rugby etc now? No UK broadcaster will be interested...

Premier Sports had the 2020 rights.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/premier-sports-to-broadcast-eight-schools-senior-cup-games/

Incidentally I’d read this as a very big sign over who has got the Pro xx rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Huge warning here for all subscriber broadcasters.
    With pubs closed and no sign of opening in 2021 the contracts that Sky and BT have signed with Premier League soccer and Premiership rugby will come under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

icdg wrote: »
    The old Setanta may be dead (or near dead), but I think the way out is through the very much alive new Setanta, Premier Sports (the black and yellow logo is *not* a coincidence!!!). A sale back to them would be the best option I think for everyone and a good fit with the existing operation. Indeed Premier Sports already does hold the Leinster Senior Schools Cup rights in their own right.

I think we can all see this happening. eir Sport are based in the Setanta/Premier Sports building, and it wouldn't take a lot of money for Premier to buy the eir studio, their satellite slots and archive.

The big sign eir were in trouble was them giving up the club GAA for 2019-20 and exclusivity to some of their GAA league rights.

I could see one of the eir channels being rebranded as Premier Sports Ireland, for content that wouldn't get much traction in the UK, and the other one becoming Premier Sports 3. They get a lot of jip from soccer fans when they don't show certain Serie A or Pro 14 games live, so having a third channel (a fourth when you factor in Freesports) would be very useful to them.

Remember Premier now also supplies LaLigaTV, owns BoxNation and is supposed to now have an involvement with RugbyPass.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

mikeym wrote: »

Interestimg, assume they paid next to nothing for it

How do you watch Premier sports here...online only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Interestimg, assume the paid next to nothing

How do you watch Premier sports here...online only?

It's part of the Sky Sports Extra pack, on Sky Ireland, on the same package as BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

With pubs closed and no sign of opening in 2021 the contracts that Sky and BT have signed with Premier League soccer and Premiership rugby will come under pressure.

Pubs will be open in England before the start of the 21/22 EPL season, so doubt likes of Sky/BT will be too worried on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Dodge wrote: »

Latest report on this developing story is courtesy of The Irish Times as per below

Future of Eir Sport in doubt after parent steps back from rights auctions
    Eir points to Covid impact on live sports across the world

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/future-of-eir-sport-in-doubt-after-parent-steps-back-from-rights-auctions-1.4514177

As I understand it Setanta still own all the facilities and playout side of eir Sport through what used to be called Setanta Transmission. They’d effectively be paying for the remaining rights including the last year of the GAA deal (the only deal of any value still left after this summer, though that depends on COVID) and for the EPG slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Incidentally I’d read this as a very big sign over who has got the Pro xx rights.

Be surprised if it isn’t sky

Some rumours it’ll be rte also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Sports channels with no live sports, Eir Sport is basically confirmed to be on the way out. Virgin Sports won't be far behind.

Virgin media itself seems to be struggling, you'd wonder how long Liberty Global keep it going
    The directors said they had “a reasonable expectation” that the company has adequate resources to continue in operational existence for the foreseeable future.

“As with any company placing reliance on other group entities for financial support, the directors acknowledge that there can be no certainty that this support will continue, although at the date of approval of these financial statements they have no reason to believe that it will not do so, and continued operations are key to the wider group,” they said

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/losses-balloon-at-virgin-media-ireland-but-revenue-rises-1.4395403%3fmode=amp

It be really silly now for Virgin to pull the plug on Virgin Media Sport. Also they have the money that they had lined up for the Champions league rights.
    I could see them run this channel in a worst case scenario with total repeats even for another 12-18 months and maybe see how the dust settles then after Covid.

I’m curious as to what think is coming up that they should stick around and bid for. They won’t be able to repeat the UEFA stuff once they lose it Those 15 Six Nations and 9 Heineken Cup games they have equate to about three days content if you think they’re going to live on repeating them. They almost certainly have lost at least some of the Six Nations too if certain reports are to be believed. The Heineken Cup rights are almost worthless in their current shape given the requirement to show the same game as Channel 4 (in the R16 first leg, they’ll be showing Wasps v Clermont which as interesting a tie as it maybe, the Irish audience for that game likely already has BT Sport).

Two ways for them to stick around if they are serious:

(1) buy eir Sport, and use it as a base to rebuild with at least some content, allied with a modest GAA bid for League and club rights, along with the League of Ireland.

(2) Make an audacious bid for the GAA Championship main rights. This will be a very difficult one as not only do you have to put down the money you’ve to convince the GAA suits that they want to take the flack of being the ones to kill off The Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I don't think the sunday game being lost to rte would be as big as a deal once people have access to the games free Vrigin 2 could come in handy for showing games instead of British repeats. They could also go for the B Championship if it happens. The only thing is Virgin must promise Matt Copper is not aloud near any GAA programs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think viewers would care if Virgin didnt have them freely available in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I’m curious as to what think is coming up that they should stick around and bid for. They won’t be able to repeat the UEFA stuff once they lose it Those 15 Six Nations and 9 Heineken Cup games they have equate to about three days content if you think they’re going to live on repeating them. They almost certainly have lost at least some of the Six Nations too if certain reports are to be believed. The Heineken Cup rights are almost worthless in their current shape given the requirement to show the same game as Channel 4 (in the R16 first leg, they’ll be showing Wasps v Clermont which as interesting a tie as it maybe, the Irish audience for that game likely already has BT Sport).

Two ways for them to stick around if they are serious:

(1) buy eir Sport, and use it as a base to rebuild with at least some content, allied with a modest GAA bid for League and club rights, along with the League of Ireland.

(2) Make an audacious bid for the GAA Championship main rights. This will be a very difficult one as not only do you have to put down the money you’ve to convince the GAA suits that they want to take the flack of being the ones to kill off The Sunday Game.

They have some sort of free-to-air rights to several sports including cycling and tennis through a deal with Eurosport owner Discovery (according to the Irish Times article a few weeks ago). Not sure when that begins.

WWE Raw and Smackdown are on VM2 starting from Saturday 27th. Maybe they're delving into wrestling world. They have Horseracing for the next 2 years, but they never showed that on the sport channel.

But the reality is that no-one outside of Virgin will stump up extra money to pay for a Sports channel like that without a big football/rugby/gaa event. Rebranding VM2 and make that the go to destination for any of that sport would be the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Blaming Covid and the closure of Pubs is just a handy excuse when your business model is fundamentally flawed.

There revenue did not drop €10m for a 6 month period due to the pubs being closed and when the impact of Covid on live sports was greatly reduced.

Losing carriage on VMS wiped out the majority of their ,subscriptions on Sky collapsed when they lost BT and kept the same price for the 2 channel package on the basis of the Rugby world cup - that was live on ITV4

Content is king and Eir Sports didn't have any.

Add in that the reason for the sports channel - to attract broadband subscribers and the bad publicity Eir customer service has attracted over the last year , closing it's non core TV service makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Infoanon wrote: »
    Blaming Covid and the closure of Pubs is just a handy excuse when your business model is fundamentally flawed.

There revenue did not drop €10m for a 6 month period due to the pubs being closed and when the impact of Covid on live sports was greatly reduced.

Losing carriage on VMS wiped out the majority of their ,subscriptions on Sky collapsed when they lost BT and kept the same price for the 2 channel package on the basis of the Rugby world cup - that was live on ITV4

Content is king and Eir Sports didn't have any.

Add in that the reason for the sports channel - to attract broadband subscribers and the bad publicity Eir customer service has attracted over the last year , closing it's non core TV service makes sense.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact that commercial subscriptions has on the overall revenue. let's take €300pm (per box) x 6 months = €1800. €10,000,000/€1,800 = 5,555 commercial boxes which is probably accurate.

I do agree that their model wasn't the best, only having Eir products advertising on the TV was never going to work long term.

iseegirls wrote: »
    They have some sort of free-to-air rights to several sports including cycling and tennis through a deal with Eurosport owner Discovery (according to the Irish Times article a few weeks ago). Not sure when that begins.

Virgin Media Sport isn’t a free to air channel and as such can’t be (exclusively) used for FTA rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

lertsnim wrote: »
    I think viewers would care if Virgin didnt have them freely available in HD.

Indeed. VM channels in SD is shocking. A lot worse than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Are 6 Nations right not staying FTA in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Are 6 Nations right not staying FTA in Ireland?

Nobody knows. We will hopefully know soon.

Not really much new in this piece, which basically runs on the line that eir Sport’s withdrawal had little to do with COVID and more to do with two developments: loss of BT Sport and the change in ownership of eir itself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/if-sport-is-not-a-game-changer-for-eir-what-will-be-1.4515053?mode=amp

I would imagine Sky or Amazon will carry majority of 6 nations in a new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not at all surprised at this news and I suspect Virgin Media aren't far behind.

Infoanon is correct, I'm sure Covid hasn't helped and has spurred things on faster then they might otherwise happen, but they are just using it as a convenient excuse for what was coming anyway.

You need to look at the broader marketplace, how the entire TV content market changed over the past year, how sport broadcasting will radically change over the next few years and the wider context of Eir and VM's internet business.

Eir and VM got into sport (and general TV for VM) as an attempt to drive people to sign up to their respective broadband and TV services and to attempt to sure up cross carriage deals with Sky for their TV services.

But this business model is looking foolish now as we have seen the rise of over the top video services from some of the richest companies in the world Netflix/Disney/Apple/Google/Amazon.

Sure, for now only Amazon has sniffed around sport here in Europe, but we are already seen the rise of OTT players like DAZN, Premier Sport and Discovery/Eurosport, and I've no doubt Amazon will come gunning (they already are with NFL in the US) and Disney/ESPN+ will be sure to follow.

Small local and regional players like Eir and VM aren't going to be able to compete against some of the biggest global players in the world like this.

Instead it makes more sense for Eir and VM to focus on their broadband business with a comfortable duopoly and let the massive global companies battle it out on top of their network.

It is clear that Eir's new owner has no interest in being a sport broadcaster and instead the focus for Eir is rolling out their FTTH network and 5G.

VM, while more invested in TV services, it's future looks extremely questionable. Liberty Global has being doing deals throughout Europe to combine it's cable network with a mobile phone network. 50/50 mergers in some countries like with o2 in the UK, but simply selling their cable business to Vodafone in a couple of other countries.

Only a few weeks ago, the CEO of LG said a similar deal is likely in Ireland by the end of the year. I'd guess that might mean selling the cable business to Vodafone.

What would that mean for VM's TV and sport business? I don't think Vodafone have any interest in being a broadcaster, like Eir their focus is just being the dumb pipe for all the other companies.

I suppose Liberty might hold onto VM TV and Sport side of the business, leaving Vodafone with the cable side. Liberty does have an investment in ITV and All3media.

Certainly times are changing and the next few years will be interesting to watch.

Advertisement