Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that you would be too proud to do

Options
  • 18-03-2021 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

What things are people too proud to do? Pride being a vey deadly sin!

Would you apply for a better paid job knowing your new boss would be your next door, much younger neighbour? Knowing that this new boss would be very much on your case as it were. A big pay increase mind?

Look for a reference from a specific person in a company having left on very bad terms with that individual?

Dress up for a fancy dress party and feeling like a .......idiot.

Pride can make fools of us all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Lidl and Aldi.....way to proud to ever be seen in either
    Shops for misers....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ask for help

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Shops for misers....

Only M&S for yourself then yeah? Shops for people who don't know what to spend their money on ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Shops for misers....

They do well.
    There's ques outside the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Take it up the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

Shops for misers....

Does it make you feel better spending twice the money in dunnes or supervalu for the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Get a cleaner. I know a lazy fu.ck who pays some Polish one to clean their house. I'd sooner sit in filth than have someone clean up after me.

Needless to say I usually am surrounded by filth.

Write for National Enquirer (THE gutter press)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

pretend to be PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Sit drinking cans in the park.
    But secretly I really want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dkav9 wrote: »
    Does it make you feel better spending twice the money in dunnes or supervalu for the same thing?

Actually supervalu downsized and is as cheap as LIDl etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

You'd be surprised why you may do if you have to.

There are things you wouldn't do today, however you dont know what you are capable of doing given the right circumstances

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Graces7 wrote: »
    Actually supervalu downsized and is as cheap as LIDl etc,

Supervalu price match a few core own brand items that people pay attention to the prices of

Otherwise they are tortuously expensive, far and away dearer than any other store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

You'd be surprised why you may do if you have to.

There are things you wouldn't do today, however you dont know what you are capable of doing given the right circumstances

Like what

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Shops for misers....

Many people had that opinion in the first few years when they came to Ireland. They (Aldi & Lidl) have totally transformed since then....)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

L1011 wrote: »
    Supervalu price match a few core own brand items that people pay attention to the prices of

Otherwise they are tortuously expensive, far and away dearer than any other store.

if i wanted to be gouged doing my weekly shop , at least M+S strike a genuinely high class pose

Super Valu has the high prices without any sort of upmarket feel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Be seen in a Toyota Prius.....

Oh the humanity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Draw dole.

I'd sooner work minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Sky King wrote: »
    Get a cleaner. I know a lazy fu.ck who pays some Polish one to clean their house. I'd sooner sit in filth than have someone clean up after me.

I pay a cleaner to clean my apartment. She's brilliant. Place looks like a show-house after 3 hours and the paltry cost of 36 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

L1011 wrote: »

They also don't compare like for like.

They had an adverts comparing blueberrie punnet prices with those in Tesco on a bus stop last week. They compared their cheapest with Tesco's most expensive ignoring that you can in fact get a punnet cheaper than they themselves sell. It's misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I used to make spaghetti bolognese with the sauce from a jar.

Never again. I didn't know any better until I was shown how to do it with regular tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭KaneToad

bobbyss wrote: »

Would you apply for a better paid job knowing your new boss would be your next door, much younger neighbour? Knowing that this new boss would be very much on your case as it were. A big pay increase mind? .

Not a million years would I take a job in this scenario. It wouldn't be due to pride. I have no interest in seeing more of the people I work with than I have to...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Sky King wrote: »

This is such an Irish attitude haha. God forbid we'd pay someone to make our lives a little easier. That might be too pretentious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭I see sheep

boombang wrote: »
    Draw dole.

I'd sooner work minimum wage.

Yes because everyone on the dole has turned down a minimum wage job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭StevenToast

To proud to work as a journalist......can you imagine the embarrassment....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I pay a cleaner to clean my apartment. She's brilliant. Place looks like a show-house after 3 hours and the paltry cost of 36 euros.

"Paltry" is relative. Also, daily, monthly?
    Honestly, not knocking, but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

growleaves wrote: »
    Like what

I always thought that if someone mugged me that I'd just hand over my wallet just to avoid conflict.

A while back it actually happened and I didnt hand over my wallet, the red mist descended and I was going to kill the guy that did it.

What I meant was you dont know how you would react to a situation until it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Super Valu has the high prices without any sort of upmarket feel

I shop in my local one because it's absolutely spotless and they stock a lot of local suppliers in the fruit/veg/bakery and it's all fresh and great quality.
    That's one thing I hate about Tesco- less Irish brands stocked.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Too enter a bookies

Advertisement