Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

How do i claim a presumed abandoned bicycle l in Dublin city

Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ read more

I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to restore looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can claim this bike?
    This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You don’t. It belongs to somebody else.

• Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, so it is abandoned in City Centre. I Feel it has been abandoned. there is a shabby chain on it. I would even buy it from the owner if could be found. I have seen it there for a while, has not moved. and has a broken derailleur, bent dropout not usable condition.
    if it is abandoned is there a way that I could legally claim it. its on a public place.

• read more wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, so it is abandoned in City Centre. I Feel it has been abandoned. there is a shabby chain on it. I would even buy it from the owner if could be found. I have seen it there for a while, has not moved. and has a broken derailleur, bent dropout not usable condition.
    if it is abandoned is there a way that I could legally claim it. its on a public place.

You could take it for safe keeping and then restore it for the benefit of the owner. Put an ad in a newspaper to help reunite owner and bike.

Be aware it could be construed badly if you're caught beside the bike with a pair of snips.

• You could take it for safe keeping and then restore it for the benefit of the owner. Put an ad in a newspaper to help reunite owner and bike.

Be aware it could be construed badly if you're caught beside the bike with a pair of snips.

You can’t just steal something you see often, no matter how much you fancy it. Peoples moral values are in the toilet these days. Get a grip OP.

• Hahahahahaha
    Yep! I hear ya.
    However, is there a way to claim it? I know the Dublin city counsel have a system for eventually removing them and holding them for a few weeks then either destroying them or giving them to some place if the owner does not claim the bike.

Does anybody know of a legal way to claim it before it goes to waist.

• Advertisement

• bikes were abandoned near my house I called the guards they said to bring them down they said I could claim them after a year and a day had passed

• sheesh wrote: »
    bikes were abandoned near my house I called the guards they said to bring them down they said I could claim them after a year and a day had passed
    Thanks for that, I will contact the Garda station so, I have no problem waiting a year to get it.

• There are lot's of decrepit bikes around, what's so special about this one?

Have a look at Adverts and you will probably pick up something suitable for very little money and no complication re. ownership.

• elperello wrote: »
    There are lot's of decrepit bikes around, what's so special about this one?

Have a look at Adverts and you will probably pick up something suitable for very little money and no complication re. ownership.

The age, style, eara. I would consider it a classic. it would be worth the hassle. none of these on advert!

• read more wrote: »
    The age, style, eara. I would consider it a classic. it would be worth the hassle. none of these on advert!

I've seen some lovely restoration jobs on classic bicycles.

A well worthwhile project, you could try a want ad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement