Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do i claim a presumed abandoned bicycle l in Dublin city

Options
  • 18-03-2021 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to restore looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can claim this bike?
    This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You don’t. It belongs to somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 read more

Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, so it is abandoned in City Centre. I Feel it has been abandoned. there is a shabby chain on it. I would even buy it from the owner if could be found. I have seen it there for a while, has not moved. and has a broken derailleur, bent dropout not usable condition.
    if it is abandoned is there a way that I could legally claim it. its on a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

read more wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, so it is abandoned in City Centre. I Feel it has been abandoned. there is a shabby chain on it. I would even buy it from the owner if could be found. I have seen it there for a while, has not moved. and has a broken derailleur, bent dropout not usable condition.
    if it is abandoned is there a way that I could legally claim it. its on a public place.

You could take it for safe keeping and then restore it for the benefit of the owner. Put an ad in a newspaper to help reunite owner and bike.

Be aware it could be construed badly if you're caught beside the bike with a pair of snips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You could take it for safe keeping and then restore it for the benefit of the owner. Put an ad in a newspaper to help reunite owner and bike.

Be aware it could be construed badly if you're caught beside the bike with a pair of snips.

You can’t just steal something you see often, no matter how much you fancy it. Peoples moral values are in the toilet these days. Get a grip OP.

Hahahahahaha
    Yep! I hear ya.
    However, is there a way to claim it? I know the Dublin city counsel have a system for eventually removing them and holding them for a few weeks then either destroying them or giving them to some place if the owner does not claim the bike.

Does anybody know of a legal way to claim it before it goes to waist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

bikes were abandoned near my house I called the guards they said to bring them down they said I could claim them after a year and a day had passed

sheesh wrote: »
    bikes were abandoned near my house I called the guards they said to bring them down they said I could claim them after a year and a day had passed
    Thanks for that, I will contact the Garda station so, I have no problem waiting a year to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are lot's of decrepit bikes around, what's so special about this one?

Have a look at Adverts and you will probably pick up something suitable for very little money and no complication re. ownership.

elperello wrote: »
    There are lot's of decrepit bikes around, what's so special about this one?

Have a look at Adverts and you will probably pick up something suitable for very little money and no complication re. ownership.

The age, style, eara. I would consider it a classic. it would be worth the hassle. none of these on advert!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

read more wrote: »
    The age, style, eara. I would consider it a classic. it would be worth the hassle. none of these on advert!

I've seen some lovely restoration jobs on classic bicycles.

A well worthwhile project, you could try a want ad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement