Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life Is Strange: True Colors

• 11-03-2021 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,926 ✭✭✭✭

New LiS being shown at Square Enix showcase on 18th March. Will update thread title when we have one. Rumour that is Deck Nine who did the brilliant Before the Storm so i can't wait to see what they have here.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1370057002249023498?s=19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

New cast? That's, like, totally hella lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Just out of interest while we wait, did anyone play through dontnod's last effort "Tell me why". Similar type world with touch of the supernatural. Thought it was a decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

J. Marston wrote: »
    New cast? That's, like, totally hella lame.

Rumor has it Max and Chloe will be hella back for LIS4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,926 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Never played Tell me why (and won't get to unless i buy an Xbox) but haven't tried their other one Twin Mirror either. I read don't Nod are moving away from Life is Strange and after LiS 2, i don't really mind.

I ended up absolutely loving 2 but ep 3 was a real stinker and the bro's relationship meant i was just choosing what was best for Daniel the whole time even if i didn't really want to pick that option.

LiS 1 and Before The Storm had much more interesting choices imo. As for Max and Chloe, as much as i love em, I'm happy with how my LiS 1 ended and the nod they get in LiS 2. I don't think they'd add much bringing them back and would probably hurt their great arc if they tried forcing it.

Will be interesting to see when/where this is actually set.

You're not really missing out on Tell Me Why, but it's on gamepass for PC and the system requirements are low enough.

Didn't find it as big a chore to get through as LiS2. I've little enthusiasm for another game tbh. If they are doing all these games in the same universe I'd like to see a bigger picture thing happen maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭The Phantom Pain

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Never played Tell me why (and won't get to unless i buy an Xbox) but haven't tried their other one Twin Mirror either. I read don't Nod are moving away from Life is Strange and after LiS 2, i don't really mind.

I ended up absolutely loving 2 but ep 3 was a real stinker and the bro's relationship meant i was just choosing what was best for Daniel the whole time even if i didn't really want to pick that option.

LiS 1 and Before The Storm had much more interesting choices imo. As for Max and Chloe, as much as i love em, I'm happy with how my LiS 1 ended and the nod they get in LiS 2. I don't think they'd add much bringing them back and would probably hurt their great arc if they tried forcing it.

Will be interesting to see when/where this is actually set.

I agree completely. I like LIS season 2 but to me it proves that DN didn't really get what made LIS1 work. It's not just Max and Chloe's relationship but that it's also a legitimately fun video game. Letting us play as the superhero provided opportunities for actual gameplay which was lacking in LIS2.

Some rumours that have been going around for a while about this. Will spoiler just in case these turn out to be true and people want to wait for the reveal trailer. No story stuff, just the protag and power, could also be complete BS.

Name - Life is Strange - True Colours.
    Set in a small US town, you play as Alex, an asian-american woman who can read minds and see colours around people based on their emotion. Apparently music will play a big part of the game, more so than LiS 1.

This pic is doing the rounds of the protag but not sure how legit it is.

ro80pocvfhm61.png

You're not really missing out on Tell Me Why, but it's on gamepass for PC and the system requirements are low enough.

Didn't find it as big a chore to get through as LiS2. I've little enthusiasm for another game tbh. If they are doing all these games in the same universe I'd like to see a bigger picture thing happen maybe.

I enjoyed LiS and tell me why, but got so bored with LiS 2. I think I need a little break maybe from the genre

I enjoyed LiS and tell me why, but got so bored with LiS 2. I think I need a little break maybe from the genre

Did you finish LiS 2? Ep 3 took me months of on and off playing to complete and i gave up on the game until a friend started raving about ep 4 and 5. Went back, ploughed through 3 and loved the game in the end. 4 & 5 definitely have more of a life is Strange feel than ep 3.

• Advertisement

Releasing this September, full game, no more episodes. Also LiS 1 and Before the Storm remasters coming with updated graphics and animation.

Life is Strange: True Colors (the missing u annoys me more than i should)

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1372601316997017610?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ah i had to Google to make sure but yupp, that's Steph in it from Before The Storm and apparently she's a romance option as well. Plus the deluxe edition has a bonus episode starring Steph. She was great in BtS as game master.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Did you finish LiS 2? Ep 3 took me months of on and off playing to complete and i gave up on the game until a friend started raving about ep 4 and 5. Went back, ploughed through 3 and loved the game in the end. 4 & 5 definitely have more of a life is Strange feel than ep 3.

Yeah I stuck with it

Looking forward to seeing more of this at E3.
    My only concern is that now that they've ditched the episodic format the length of the game will be under scrutiny.

Looking forward to seeing more of this at E3.
    My only concern is that now that they've ditched the episodic format the length of the game will be under scrutiny.

They haven’t ditched it per se. It’s still coming with 5 chapters, just being released at the one time. There’s no reason to expect that they won’t be the usual around 2 hours in length. Maybe even longer now that they hinted at it being more open world than the rest

The full game releasing at the same time is interesting. LiS 2 took over a year to release all episodes which was just ridiculous for a game so focused on story so I'm all for releasing it all together. I'm not sure i want to see anymore of the game though. It's just one of those where i know I'm going to get it on launch, don't want to know anymore of the story.

Saying that, I'll probably still watch anything they put out :)

Brian017 wrote: »
    They haven’t ditched it per se. It’s still coming with 5 chapters, just being released at the one time. There’s no reason to expect that they won’t be the usual around 2 hours in length.

I haven't seen anywhere where SE has specifically stated it will still be episodic but( just released at once). I was under the impression it was a whole with no breaks. I would prefer the former seeing as that's how I've played all LIS games anyway.
    Maybe even longer now that they hinted at it being more open world than the rest

Again, can't see anywhere this is hinted but I bloody hope not. I love open world games, it's my fave style, but who asked for this in Life is Strange?

I haven't seen anywhere where SE has specifically stated it will still be episodic but( just released at once). I was under the impression it was a whole with no breaks. I would prefer the former seeing as that's how I've played all LIS games anyway.

Again, can't see anywhere this is hinted but I bloody hope not. I love open world games, it's my fave style, but who asked for this in Life is Strange?

During the announcement show the voice of Alex said “you can binge it all at once or use the chapter select to take a well earned break”

As for the open world thing a few game commentators have said it might be more open world because of this paragraph from the steam store

“Make tough decisions and choose your own future. Freely roam the streets, stores, and hidden spaces of Haven Springs and meet unforgettable characters.”

Just how freely you can roam remains to be seen I guess

Brian017 wrote: »
    During the announcement show the voice of Alex said “you can binge it all at once or use the chapter select to take a well earned break”

As for the open world thing a few game commentators have said it might be more open world because of this paragraph from the steam store

“Make tough decisions and choose your own future. Freely roam the streets, stores, and hidden spaces of Haven Springs and meet unforgettable characters.”

Just how freely you can roam remains to be seen I guess

Ah ok, thanks. Well, that's great that they're still keeping it episodic. Maybe there was something in their data that showed that's how people prefer to consume the game. Months between episodes are too long, with a memory as crap as mine I'd have to replay them just to remember what happened. As for the free roam comments, the first season had some element of free roam to it but on a much, much smaller scale. I trust that this will be tightly controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Making it episodic is a good idea for storytelling purposes as well.
    I remember the cliffhangers from the first game so it works well in that regard, even though I played after the whole game was released.

As for the open world, sounds more like it's just a bigger world. Haven't played LiS 2 yet, but I imagine it's like a more expanded version of the school and dorms and other adventure games where it's not completely linear.

I liked the True Colours trailer but Life is Strange remastered is a cash grab. What is the point of remastering it for PS4? I know it’s a PS3/X Box 360 cross gen game but remastering for PS4 means there’s very little difference between the original PS4 version. The entire point of a remaster is to take advantage of what the new consoles can do where graphics are concerned so why not do a full PS5 remaster? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Been years since I played it but the art style doesn't strike me as one where you're really gonna be wowed by a remaster. Maybe it'll just run better because I do remember it being very janky.

Some more info:
    It's not another origin story apparently. Alex already has her powers when we first meet her and she has been suppressing them up until now.
    It will be interesting to see a character already shaped by having this extraordinary ability. She's supposed to be the eldest LIS protagonist (early 20s) so the powers seem to develop in adolescence.
    I also like that they brought back the detective /mystery element to the series as that gives it stakes.
    Just 3 more months to go!!!

Some more info:
    It's not another origin story apparently. Alex already has her powers when we first meet her and she has been suppressing them up until now.
    It will be interesting to see a character already shaped by having this extraordinary ability. She's supposed to be the eldest LIS protagonist (early 20s) so the powers seem to develop in adolescence.
    I also like that they brought back the detective /mystery element to the series as that gives it stakes.
    Just 3 more months to go!!!

I didn't watch the E3 stuff, want to avoid all footage until release but just cracked and glad I did, this looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks awful to me, like a bad TV drama, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Does it have any actual gameplay elements or is it all dialogue driven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭quokula

I liked the True Colours trailer but Life is Strange remastered is a cash grab. What is the point of remastering it for PS4? I know it’s a PS3/X Box 360 cross gen game but remastering for PS4 means there’s very little difference between the original PS4 version. The entire point of a remaster is to take advantage of what the new consoles can do where graphics are concerned so why not do a full PS5 remaster? Makes no sense.

Yeah I was really surprised when I heard they were remastering it, I was like "wait isn't that already a PS4 game" - didn't realise it was cross-gen, feels like only three or four years ago that it came out.

With that said, I also don't see a whole lot of benefit to a PS5 version with the art style basically working perfectly for what it wants to be, it hardly needs more shinies.

quokula wrote: »
    Yeah I was really surprised when I heard they were remastering it, I was like "wait isn't that already a PS4 game" - didn't realise it was cross-gen, feels like only three or four years ago that it came out.

With that said, I also don't see a whole lot of benefit to a PS5 version with the art style basically working perfectly for what it wants to be, it hardly needs more shinies.

Yeah it's a weird one, graphics look slightly touched up and no other improvements from what I can see. Then it doesn't look like there's a free upgrade option if you already own it and lastly it comes out the same day as True Colors. Anyone slightly interested is gonna be playing the new game. If I get the inkling for another playthrough, I'll just play my PS4 copy on my PS5. No need to wait and pay money for the remaster by the looks of it.

• Advertisement

Can officially say this is out next month!!!! LET'S GO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jomzy

What kind of game is this? Is this like sims or like heavy rain?

More like Heavy Rain, walking around, talking to people, unravelling the awesome story but with some magic powers thrown in for fun. Have a look at this gameplay from Life is Strange 1, will give an idea how the game plays.

Wanted to get this physical but noticed you can only get standard editions and I really want the Wavelength DLC from the Deluxe edition. I see you will be able to upgrade your physical copy to the Deluxe version but it will be cheaper buying the Deluxe version. I can't see prices of upgrading from physical disk. Jesus why do they make it so awkward.

Some found on Steam that the upgrade is $13, price seems to be removed now but that could be 13 to 15 euro over here. Hmmm not sure what to do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Is there a release date for the DLC? I'm assuming it be later than the base game

I'm not sure, Wavelengths is a prequel so it could be same date as the main game. Good question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just had a bit of a google, doesn't seem to be anything official on release of DLC more than it will be "after" the main game. Whether that is days/weeks/months is the mystery. I like to play all parts close together on these type of games whilst I'm immersed in the story, so might hold fire on any purchase until we know more details.

Definitely one I'm keen on though, loved the first two games, still to play season 2 but heard that's not quite as good as the first ones.

The dlc bonus episode they released as part of before the storm was some of the best content in the series so i definitely want this new dlc as well. Squeenix have a habit of making a balls of stuff like this with the series though.

As for LiS 2, Ep 1 is great, 2 is good but a bit too long, 3 is the worst LiS episode I've ever played and i quit the game. Returned after a few months and slogged through. Ep 4 and 5 were brilliant and in the end I'm really glad i went back to it. I recommend grabbing it, especially on sale.

Yeah felt the same about 2 , half the episodes were hit and miss. I also couldn't stand the younger brother at times. Half the time while making choices , I was always going for the ones that would not set him off.

with this out the week before Deathloop, I'll probably wait for it to go on sale

Isn't episode 3 the one with the weed farm? That was alright, personally.

LIS2 is a good game but I think it took the 'walking simulator' genre a bit too literally. I mean the moment you don't get to play as the superhero but the superhero's old brother that basically told me everything I needed to know. I also think the whole road trip thing goes against the identity of the series. It was a bold move but one of the best things about the first one was Arcadia Bay, itself. It felt believable. You get a sense of its history and culture.

As for 3, i just didn't like/care about any of the characters. I thought the brother dynamic was interesting but like Eoin, i felt i was making too many decisions based on Daniel which i get was the point of big brother but ep 4 and 5 felt more personal to Sean and i think the game benefited from it. Saying that, i have watched all the endings on YouTube and the are some really great/depressing ones friending on your decisions and how you treated Daniel, definitely worth playing through.

Adventures of Captain spirit bonus episode was absolutely class though and recommend it (it's free) to everyone who hasn't played it, especially those wondering what a Life is Strange game is like.

• Advertisement

Wavelength DLC out September 30th and the Remastered collection is being pushed to early 22. Still don't know how to play Wavelength DLC if buy a physical version of the game. I think you just have to pay 15 euro so you'd save a fiver if you bought digital deluxe but then no trading it in.

Flipping heck ZC, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that image! Thankfully , it's just the shiitty remaster they're pushing back so it's cool 😆

Look forward to the Wavelength trailer. It's exciting because they're marketing True Colours like a traditional game now with DLC all at once and that's undoubtedly down to the fact that all the episodes are coming out at once. It doesn't feel like they have a "roadmap"; it feels like this thing is fully cooked and ready to be served.

Not looking forward to all Square Enix emails I'm gonna get when I boot this game. I'm playing Outriders right now and it's already started!!!

Hey it's Mikey! Will definitely have to get this. From the last bit of video, it sounds like you'll be able to buy it as regular dlc as long as you own the game, deluxe/ultimate not needed.

Still wished there was a deluxe physical version though.

Watched a min and turned off, yupp, day 1 for me, no need to see any more gameplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If you pre-order the game with Gamestop, you will get a steelbook.

Out this month!!!

I actually caved and watched a bit of the 'first 15 minutes' videos doing the rounds. The characters, town, music and art just feels like they were made for each other. Can't wait to dive into the story but just the opening alone has me hooked.

If you are getting this digitally, it should unlock at 5pm Thursday, 9th September instead of the usually midnight Friday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement