Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New beep scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Hi

I found out last week I never got paid for beep last year as my advisor did not sign me up as he was asked.

I did the weights and dung samples

I rang the dept and told them I had all the actions completed

So they said to hand write a letter stating my case.

Has anyone else ever done this or am I wasting my time. I'm down around 1800 e?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Nothing to lose, get advisor to add a letter stating they were at fault. They would have told you straight out if you had no chance, try and get a name of who you are dealing with in Dept too if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Of course you should write stating the oversight. If you were able to submit the weights to the ICBF online dedicated form, it should strengthen your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

Also if your advisor admitted a mistake they would be liable.

Teagasc have insurance for these sort of mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Did you check with your advisor if you are signed up for the coming year? Just encase if you weren't signed up for 2021 then you might not be eligible for 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I see this years scheme opens for applications on Tuesday on Agfood.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Creep feeding will be dear this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

ive always clicked meal feeding option but just rethinking it before I submit. What’s involved in the vaccination program? What product do ye use and when are they done? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve been vaccinating for about ten years after having a bad pneumonia outbreak when very still foggy weather came just after the calves were weaned, used to use Rispoval 3 but have used Boviplast the last few years. Two shots four weeks apart, the second shot a month or so before weaning. I think it’s a great job, a neighbour of mine got a bad outbreak last Autumn after weaning and is going to vaccinate from now on, between getting a vet out three times and the high cost of the medicines used to treat pneumonia, what he spent would vaccinate his calves for several years. I think two shots of Boviplast works out about €12/calf.

Just make sure whatever vaccine you use qualifies for payment under the BEEP scheme, not all do if i remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Selected the option for Vaccinations this year as I recently had a weanling diagnosed with Chronic Pneumonia. Id always be giving a bit of meal anyway, I've never done the vaccinations before and after this one, I decided that it might be well worth the effort to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Exact same as that here. Also for me, it’s dark in winter’s evening by time I get home and great peace of mind with vacation. I’ve been doing it about 10 years too following a couple of losses before that.

I use the bovipast and do the IBR too. Pain in the hole having to get them in twice though for the second shot of the bovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

Does the vaccine have to be before weaning? Half a wide calving pattern so would be a night mate manage unless could just do it the twice with some weaned and some not.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Does anyone use the vaccine where you mix the two little bottles 10ml and give 2ml up the nose to the calf ?

is the injection method more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

That’s the live option, which you only do once but you need help & potential for calf to snort stuff out. Bovi past is dearer as 2 shots but 1 person job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Plus I believe the injection lasts 6 months, the intra nasal 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

deadline for this is the 25th April, i went with the meal feeding, i know it's going to be expensive but it's only for a few weeks & cuts down on the stress which i think is a major contributor of pneumonia

Same as that. Signed up today and ticked the meal feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

I weighed mine last week lads and have been trying all week to add a 3rd party scales but the app won't let me. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Is Bord Bia membership a requirement for this scheme does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

No but next year for suckler scheme it is which will require weighing

• Advertisement

Is it both the cows and the calves that have to be sampled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Just the cows....although I did send them off one pot of bull sh!t this year...😈

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I see the dung sample is a chosen option for me- is it compulsory? It’s worth between €90 and €100 to me. Some effort to get cattle in etc.

also, I’ve the crunch got for the weaning- do I have to load up receipts or is it only if they look for them?

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

get the dung in the field in the morning when they are lying down. When they stand at least half will shite.

Just keep receipts. I keep an excel for start date/end date as evidence of the meal feeding time line (4 weeks before weaning to 2 weeks after).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got a text yesterday that dung samples have to be in by October 1st. We sent ours 3 or 4 weeks ago and have had no text of results. I rang the lab and they said it's taking up to 8 weeks to process them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’m presuming proof of postage will do? Plus if it’s 8weeks wait, then it will be similar for everyone.

I sent my samples on Wednesday of last week, and got the results in an email that Friday....Couldn't believe it.

It's not compulsory. When you consider that the lab and postage costs will be around half of what you'll get, it's hardly worth the effort. But, as said, you can collect the samples in the field handy enough...

• Advertisement

I wonder if this means that the samples are sitting there for 8 weeks, waiting to be tested? So much for taking fresh samples, if it does. Surely the results couldn't be accurate on samples that old either?

Advertisement