Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given where we are and given the way the URC playoffs land this year , prioritising the CC is the right thing.

Our last regular season URC game is after the CC final and then you have the playoffs after that.

I'd have no concerns about a full strength Leinster playing anyone anywhere in the URC to be honest.

Home would be better , but not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Going full-strength for the Connacht game and the play-offs means upwards of 15 guys would play five weeks in a row, possibly including a trip to South Africa, before getting on the plane again and going off to play the Springboks.

IRFU won't allow that to happen, I would imagine, there will have to be significant rotation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For the remaining fixtures I think we'll be pretty strong for Ospreys , middling for Ulster (assuming we have CC Final ) , middling/strong for Connacht and then strong through the URC play-offs

The URC final is 22nd June with the 1st test in SA on the 6th of July so there's a full two weeks break there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some good news on the injury front. Was hoping that Ryan would be available but sounds like it's a bit too soon for him. Keenan is touch and go as well by the look of things. A fit JOB allows you to go with a 6-2 split on the bench as he can cover just about every position in the backline. And Ringrose is simply world class.

Although, I'm not sure I'd have him in the 23 for this weekend. He essentially hasn't played since January and Osborne is in such good form at the minute.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've a feeling fixture congestion won't be the issue most are assuming. Northampton are not to be taken lightly.

• Advertisement

We rested our entire first team for two weekends and made our lives harder in the URC, specifically to prepare for NH - isn't that the opposite of taking it lightly?

That said, we are 1/10 favourites to win this weekend and it would be nothing less than a disaster if we don't.

Do you honestly think we're going to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep, agree with that. It'll be a tough four week run but I can see the front-line players lining out the whole way through the knockouts (should they make it through).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Will be an easier end of season run compared to last year.

22/23

23rd April 2023 Return back from SA after getting smashed.

29th April - ERC 1/2 Final

Meafu, Mauvaka and Marchand.

6th May 2023 - URC 1/4 Final

Ox Niche, Mbonambi and Mchunu.

13th May 2023 - URC 1/2 Final

Still the moaning about players rotating out for the secondary comp v Munster!

Why? Just the biggest game in European rugby the following week

20th May - ERC Final

v LaRochelle. You know Uini Atonio, Skelton, Botia, Danty, Colombe….

27th May - URC Final

Would have been the 4th game in 5 weeks - Easy!

Plus those Centrally Contracted players who have their minutes managed (esp. in RWC year)

A lot depends on how other results go (the Glasgow SA games especially) - If the Connacht game doesn't have a material impact on ranking one way or the other then we might not need to go too strong , but if there's home advantage on the table then we need to go a strong as feasibly possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Scheduling has a big impact in that. For example they came back from the dead and won the final against Northampton in 2011 and a week later had to play Munster in Thomond in the then Celtic League final. By all accounts the players were on the lash for half the week.

The following year the same thing when they beat Ulster and had to play against Ospreys the following week. Very hard to back it up a week later when you’ve spent a lot of emotional energy peaking for a particular game which results in winning the main trophy you’ve set out to win at the start of the season.

• Advertisement

That's a ridiculous price for a semi final with two teams on top form.

Fans assuming it's a done deal are mad.

This season is a relatively easy end of season compared to last.

29th April Shadow Squad return back from SA after getting smashed (again!)

4th May 2024 - ERC 1/2 Final

Leinster will be full strength. Northampton will not be a hugely physical confrontation.

11th May 2024 – Ospreys home

Mostly Full strength & Leinster will win easing up.

18th May 2024 - Ulster away

Prob the Shadow Squad.

25th May – ERC Final

Full strength. Toulouse & hugely physical confrontation.

31st May (+6 days) – URC Connacht home (Ross Byrne moving to Connacht you say?)

Physically Battered & as you say Emotional Energy drain. Most of pack will be rested. 4Try BP prob required?

7th June 2024 - URC ¼ Final (home with 67 points?)

Full strength

15th June 2024 – URC 1/2 Final

Full strength

22nd June – URC Final

Full strength

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

This is not me blowing smoke but I cannot see any scenario where Northampton beat Leinster. A seriously depleted Munster team gave them a game at Franklin Gardens. Fully loaded Leinster will blow them away. Toulouse are a different prospect but on Leinster seem to have the measure of over the last few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolutely, and I understand that. Though I stand by my comment that it reflects slightly poorly on them as a team (coaching and players) when compared to those who did manage to complete doubles.

Given what we have seen this season I'm actually slightly concerned about Leinster's ability to peak back-to-back for the URC knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it. They've already qualified for the play-off. The only thing on the line is home matches. They could still end up with a home run to the final so it's a gamble worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Why do we struggle to do this in South Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Munster send their first team because they are knocked out of Europe and nothing else to play for, last year for instance they had to win or might not have made play offs.

The big game for Munster last season in Europe was not so successful. Of course they won the final in SA

If Leinster sent a strong team down Im sure they would have better results, after all last year it was 1 win, 1 loss with a very young team

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/65148534

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Munster usually need to win those games to stay in the hunt for knockout qualification and they get the job done in fairness to them. They certainly did it all the hard way last year.

Leinster generally get to the South African tours not needing to win, so they approach it differently.

don’t think anyone assumes it’s a done deal but if Leinster play to their potential and we keep 15 men on the pitch, I just can’t see how NH can live with us. That’s not arrogance or hubris, it’s just how it is.

The other SF is the same, Quins might get a win in Toulouse but they’ll need either the game of their lives or some calamity to befall Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

NH were beaten by Quins in Twickenham at the weekend, was a very loose game, they conceded 40+ points. Think they had their full team out. Needless to say they won't win with defence like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭crisco10

WHats the best way to watch CC in the US?

Looked at Florugby, buy its 30 a month, which is pricey for a single match!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

A long as its not blocked this works a treat for all sporting events It usually has 4-6 streams for any important rugby match https://www.vipleague.la/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭knockoutned

I thought if you’re a first time user with Florugby you got a free period. Can’t remember how long that was for, but I think it was for a couple of days. Then just cancel after the game.

Though with all the potential rugby coming up $30 is not bad for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

GT has the scoop again!
    Ringrose to start

This will assuredly prompt some debate over Osborne or Henshaw at 12.

I’d start Osborne.

Frawley to also start

Nienaber will assuredly keep GT abreast of team news throughout the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭conquestscarer

I agreed with Gordon D'arcy's article where he said that Ringrose had to play his way back into the team. Would be incredibly harsh to drop Osborne or Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Their defence is generally mediocre. Their attack is generally excellent. They've been hit for 30+ points multiple times this season.

If our defence can shut them down and keep them quiet, they shouldn't be able to get within 10-15 of us. But they absolutely have the ability to beat our rush and open us up a few times. They're incredibly effective off strike plays.

I genuinely fear Sleightholme Alabama. And Freeman, Dingwall, Ramm, Furbank, Odendaal, Smith, Mitchell and Hendy is a serious set of backs.

Leinster looking towards the final. Need Ringrose match sharp for Toulouse.

Start him here and see how he recovers.

Would think Henshaw will also bench.

Ospreys: Henshaw & Ringrose

Ulster: Ngatai & Turner

Toulouse: Osborne & Ringrose/Henshaw

• Advertisement

Did D'Arcy really say that?

Ringrose is the captain, he'll come straight back in.

Advertisement