Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sarah Everard Murder - Serving Met Officer Arrested *Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

seamus wrote: »
    Well, if the story is that he stopped her on the pretence of a Covid restrictions check, he probably was like, "That's fine, do you want a lift home so?".

She would have thought, "It's dark and dangerous to walk home, this guy is a cop, why not?".

Obviously there's been 'killer cops' in the UK before, but they've tended to be domestic situations and that's something which can't really be catered for.

However this looks completely different - predatory and possibly random unless a link between the two emerges.

Could see it having huge implications and a complete evaluation of what profiling they do for applicants to the police. To see what might have been missed. If any corners have been cut or there have been budget reductions in the profiling process then could turn into quite a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Could see it having huge implications and a complete evaluation of what profiling they do for applicants to the police. To see what might have been missed. If any corners have been cut or there have been budget reductions in the profiling process then could turn into quite a story.
    It's well documented that police forces in general attract a certain "type" of individual.

Domestic violence and infidelity rates (amongst both genders) are known to be much higher in polices forces than the general population.

Vetting and profiling has its limitations. If someone has never come up on the radar the background check will pick up nothing, and in general murderers and rapists don't come up as "abnormal" on any personality profiles.

Socially we are raised to know what is right and what is wrong. So even if someone doesn't care about doing the wrong thing, they know what the "right" answer is in any kind of conversation or personality profile.

As mentioned further upthread, if it's a case that the cops were watching this guy based on another indecent incident, there will be huge questions about why he wasn't picked up earlier. Chances are there were no indicators he would do something like this, but nevertheless if it could have been stopped earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know the area well and would have walked her route loads of times, it's so busy, 24/7 this area would be busy, so how he did this is a mystery, for now anyway. A horrible outcome for that poor woman who was just walking home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This is a shocking case. The police have done an excellent job IMO. I've been following the story since she went missing and I was hoping for a more positive result.

It reminds me of the Karen Buckley murder in Glasgow about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've been keeping up with this over the last few days and my heart sank when they found remains yesterday. The shocking thing is she did everything right. She wore bright coloured clothes, she had running shoes on, she spoke with her boyfriend on the phone as she walked, she stuck to busy roads and she still wasn't safe. It's very very depressing. The thoughts of an officer using his badge to entice her into the car is really chilling. The fact they said it may take some time to identify the remains is horrendous. I can't imagine the pain her family and partner must be going through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

It brings Jill Meagher to mind for me. At that time I was living abroad and often walked or cycled home alone through the forest ( well lit path linking city centre to suburbs in a very safe small city). Those events completely freaked me out. The only comfort is, it’s a rare occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Pipmae wrote: »
    This is a shocking case. The police have done an excellent job IMO. I've been following the story since she went missing and I was hoping for a more positive result.

It reminds me of the Karen Buckley murder in Glasgow about 5 years ago.

I think it would be very rare that a case like this would end with a positive ending sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It’s not exactly a quiet part of London. There’s CCTV cameras everywhere in the area, and with the surge in popularity of doorbell camera systems etc it’s baffling to me how he thought he could abduct her undetected. And he should/would have known this in his line of work. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

It’s not exactly a quiet part of London. There’s CCTV cameras everywhere in the area, and with the surge in popularity of doorbell camera systems etc it’s baffling to me how he thought he could abduct her undetected. And he should/would have known this in his line of work. Very strange.

Apparently the abduction was not caught on camera.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

celt262 wrote: »
    I think it would be very rare that a case like this would end with a positive ending sadly.
    Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.
    ― Margaret Atwood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been keeping up with this over the last few days and my heart sank when they found remains yesterday. The shocking thing is she did everything right. She wore bright coloured clothes, she had running shoes on, she spoke with her boyfriend on the phone as she walked, she stuck to busy roads and she still wasn't safe. It's very very depressing. The thoughts of an officer using his badge to entice her into the car is really chilling. The fact they said it may take some time to identify the remains is horrendous. I can't imagine the pain her family and partner must be going through.

Do you know what the situation with the friend was? The mere act of walking around outside before going home would have nothing to do with covid restrictions so it's hardly fair to apportion any blame to the victim whatsoever. But I wonder about the friend having guests when this is currently illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Do you know what the situation with the friend was? The mere act of walking around outside before going home would have nothing to do with covid restrictions so it's hardly fair to apportion any blame to the victim whatsoever. But I wonder about the friend having guests when this is currently illegal.

Even if it is illegal who cares? She could have been smoking a joint on the way home too it makes no difference that some psycho abducted her.

A lady has been murdered any you are wondering about someone having guests over :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Apparently the abduction was not caught on camera.

A policeman would know where the blindsspots are.

He wasn't smart enough to know that a bus cam could catch him and a lot of private vehicles have dash cams also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes police know where every camera in London is, christ above.

A lady has been murdered any you are wondering about someone having guests over :confused:

Yeah, I'm wondering about the friend in this situation and if there was any more context available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That could well be true but if he was working at an embassy he might have been out of “the loop”.

The doorbell footage is one he may not have accounted for.

Horrible thing to happen and, hopefully, those involved are brought to justice.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'd be fairly sure that Ring doorbells played a part as well.

They had enough on him for him to fess up where the body was left so they must have a strong case against him.

Even if it is illegal who cares? She could have been smoking a joint on the way home too it makes no difference that some psycho abducted her.
    I'm not talking about the victim who is clearly blameless for walking around, but the friend who had a guest over when that's against the law. Joints or other whataboutery about the victim do NOT come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not talking about the victim who is clearly blameless for walking around, but the friend who had a guest over when that's against the law. Joints or other whataboutery about the victim do NOT come into it.

There is always always always, one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Witcher wrote: »
    Yes police know where every camera in London is, christ above.

There's a good chance they'd know where they are in the area they work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

He was only arrested two days ago but she has been missing since last Wednesday. So for 5 days after she went missing, the accused was out and about, like normal, even working. The kind of person that can hide something like this is the definition of pure evil and has no place in society; prison is too good.

Like others who have some connection to the event, I have a sister living in that area of London around that age who would be social and it is shocking to think it could've been her. That's why I find this story so upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's a good chance they'd know where they are in the area they work though.
    He was responsible for uniformed patrolling of diplomatic premises - including Downing Street, the Palace of Westminster, as well as foreign embassies in London.

I doubt knowing the locations of Ring doorbells is part of his reponsibilities.

listermint wrote: »
    There is always always always, one.
    I don't see how that's a constructive answer. If I'm distracting from the tragedy, then I apologize and I won't comment about the friend's actions in future. Doesn't give you the right to make sassy comments though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Pipmae wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure that Ring doorbells played a part as well.

They had enough on him for him to fess up where the body was left so they must have a strong case against him.

They may have tracked the movements of his phone to have identified the forest area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

Absolutely.

Yeah, I'm wondering about the friend in this situation and if there was any more context available.

What are you getting at here?

Absolutely.
    It's probably a bit more complicated than someone policing as part of a security detail knowing every blind spot, but they may be aware of the general particulars (e.g. ATMs often have working cameras and are very visible). It could easily have been pure chance that there was no CCTV at the exact time and place the abduction happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

What are you getting at here?

There is a lack of information about her friend, while anyone else who seems to know her has been identified and quoted in the reporting. So of course the lack of information about her friend and what she was doing might lead to some insinuations, but I think it is glossed over in the reporting in order to ensure the focus doesn't get shifted to lockdown breaches as some people might try to comment on that and perhaps take away from the key incident.

Advertisement