Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay FM cutbacks

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Bullocks wrote: »
    How many staff does the station employ I wonder?
    What do ye think of Katie on the show? She is being primed to fill Keith's show whenever he hangs up his boots.
    If it was RTÉ we would see a few threads here about the nepotism going on!

Isn't it privately owned?
    They can employ who they like, I'm not paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sam Tyler wrote: »
    I’m surprised about all the negativity towards the Molly and Olly program? I thought it was very popular! Considering that Molly left and then was brought back and there was a big relaunch campaign to announce it.
    Out of curiosity what is that people don’t like?
    Both are experienced presenters

They talk pure muck, must have been desperate and unable to fill the role to bring him back.

Then go to doom and gloom about covid 19 numbers.

Molly on then telling people to stay at home while he travels all the way down from Westmeath to present a radio show, hardly essential travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Sam Tyler

Well I think they learned their lesson when they had an outbreak there.

In their defence it can’t be easy running a local radio station in the middle of a pandemic when they are so reliant on local advertising and when we are in a lockdown.

But I do think they need to be a bit more creative/imaginative with content across the station. It’s like they are trying to be all things to everyone and not really hitting the mark with any of it.

Also 3 hours of current affairs in the morning is too much cut it back to 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They talk pure muck, must have been desperate and unable to fill the role to bring him back.

Then go to doom and gloom about covid 19 numbers.

Molly on then telling people to stay at home while he travels all the way down from Westmeath to present a radio show, hardly essential travel.

My understanding is that they are both operating from home.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

My understanding is that they are both operating from home.

If they are its just recently because Molly was always on about his journey down from Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wrong.

Media is defined as an essential industry, therefore people working there are doing essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Isn't it privately owned?
    They can employ who they like, I'm not paying for it.

With most privately owned businesses, if you disagree with their practices, you can take your business elsewhere. Not the case here as they are the only show in town. Wonder if there are any constrains in the licence awarded to operate on what they can and cannot do. Cant imagine that even if there are, that it would have specifics on operations/human resources.

Wrong.

Media is defined as an essential industry, therefore people working there are doing essential travel.

Sure if you say so it must be right :rolleyes:

Sure if you say so it must be right :rolleyes:

Read all about it: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/#information-and-communications

• Advertisement

I did read it.

Production of television and media is deemed essential.

This guy is a presenter not anything to do with the production side of things so he was/is coming half way across the country when he doesn't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I did read it.

Production of television and media is deemed essential.

This guy is a presenter not anything to do with the production side of things so he was/is coming half way across the country when he doesn't have to.

They both produce the show and Ollie also does sport and as stated they are both working from home since the start of the year, I think they are great and give us something to smile about in this sh..e time in the morning.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They both produce the show and Ollie also does sport and as stated they are both working from home since the start of the year, I think they are great and give us something to smile about in this sh..e time in the morning.

Where did you hear that because I can't find anything that says he produces the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

While his show is not my cup of tea, he's far from the worst imo. Plenty out there do like him and if he gives some people a few laughs in then he's doing a good job. GB FM's target audience is unashamedly the older rural community so its no surprise the average boards.ie poster isn't keen.

I don't see any issue with him travelling to his place of work, that's serious nitpicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Wrong.

Even if your profession is deemed/categorised essential you are still advised to work from home where you can.

Not that hard to present a radio show from your house these days

Where did you hear that because I can't find anything that says he produces the show

In a small local radio station, do you really think that the demarcation between roles is that strong?

I have no idea when they got enough equipment in their homes to be able to work from home: I'd imagine it takes a lot more gear than the average home would have, as well as a sound-proofed space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

In a small local radio station, do you really think that the demarcation between roles is that strong?

I think people over estimate the resources local radio has. Someone mentioned Keith Finnegan having a production team for example.

Whether GBfm, Shannonside, Midwest or whatever, the "team" is basically the presenter and his producer.

For shows like breakfast shows, like Molly and Olly, they are the producers. Local radio doesn't have the resources of national stations where they would have actual production teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

paconnors wrote: »
    No he adds in other fees. Liaison / Professional Fees there called

There's a lot of money in funeral undertaking. You should be able to get your own coffin made for a fraction of this

Sorry for being off topic.

I think Keith Finnegan just doesn't have a radio voice. I'm sure he's a fantastic chap all the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Katie Finnegan, Keith F's daughter is the show producer.
    Just the two of them involved in the production.
    You can hear her each morning doing a 'preview' of the upcoming KF show on the breakfast show.

See attached link for some more context on the arrangement. Last section.

https://www.independent.ie/life/daddies-girls-fathers-and-daughters-in-business-31309034.html

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Here is the original radio west schedule b

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

FFS - how is a presenter not essential to a show??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

On the death notices. Work in a radio station and you miss the death notices, you will endure the wrath of the blue rinse brigade. There is probably more people listening at that time than at any other time. Some radio stations dedicate more time to the death notices than at any other time. Plus you now have the death notices sponsored by 1 or another local undertaker.

Someone said they got charged €164 for a death notice on the radio. Well the average a station makes is around €150,000-€200,000 a year it is big business for radio and something that over the last couple of years that has propped up many a station.

When my mother died in 2010 the notice was in the Irish Times and Irish Indo.

Irish Times: €353.03

Irish Indo: €421.34

So the notice on the radio is actually quite cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Deleted

Post edited by Gadgetman496 on

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement