Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

You forgot the faux outrage at questioning one women's health while ignoring the double standard of going to town on another's. A person's health issues are either off limits or they're not.

No wonder your head hurts, mine does too trying to figure out why one is ok & the other is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No wonder your head hurts, mine doesn't to trying to figure out why one is ok & the other is not.

I'm glad you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

• Advertisement

Speculating on someone's health is either ok or it's not and if you really believe she has a bad grasp on reality maybe that's all the more reason not to speculate on her mental health.

Do suicidal people get dressed up and go on a royal engagement if their husband tells them to put on their make-up?

Would a mental health advocate who has spoken about their own therapy like Harry not know how to get help?

Would the paps not have delighted in taking a picture of Meghan after she, by her own claim, cried throughout the performance?

Would no one else have noticed her distraught and posted a picture to social media?

Does a night crying at the theatre remove suicide ideation? She seemed to have recovered after that because they just moved on to the next gripe.

It just doesn't add up at all.

How is what you've posted above any different to the questions asked about Catherine’s health issues & why did you find those questions nasty but not the one's you've asked?

That's the issue not whether or not Meghan was suicidal.

She, on TV, said she had suicide ideation. I think anyone familiar with the British tabloid press would believe her automatically. Her husband, who we subsequently found out has a therapist on speed dial, was in institutional mode and told her to get dressed instead when she informed him she didn't want to be alive anymore.

She then went on to give a bizarre explanation about going to just one unnamed HR staffer who, while empathetic, said she couldn't help her because it would just be a bad look for the palace. Remember that Charles, William and Harry were public about their mental health before this as well. The question there is why is it a bad look if the public knew Meghan was also struggling. Remember as well that Meghan was capable of tracking down private mobile numbers of US Senators but couldn't, with either her husband or mother, make contact with someone to help. Ah right, they didn't do this because the paps were trailing them continuously and either going somewhere for help or someone doing a house/palace call would alert the media. Nonsense.

For what it's worth I believe she may well have been suicidal but not for the reasons given i.e. that some public opinion started turning against her after the honeymoon period wore off, when the press got wind of problems behind closed doors, when they pitted Kate against her etc. Just my take.

There is a difference between Kate and Meghan in terms of the questioning. Consider Meghan writing about her miscarriage in 2020 when she keeled over in pain while changing Archies nappy, singing him a lullaby as she knew she was losing her baby. It highlighted miscarriage. Then three years, in their Netflix series, the same miscarriage happened because, according to Harry, it was from the stress The Mail were putting on her. From the case she brought against them. What was odd though was that this time she keeled over while holding Archie and after she greeted a Suits co-star at the door. So you can see why questions can arise.

Contrast this against Kate who for 24 years has been steadfastly private and when she goes to hospital then, considering she is an enigma, the official reason is deemed sufficient since she doesn't have a history of unfortunate lapses of memory or ever changing versions of events.

• Advertisement

I can see why questions would arise of both women, the double standard I am referring to occurs when asking questions of one women's health is immediately shot down as nasty but tearing apart another women's health (her mental health) is fair game.

There's no justifying one over the other, it's either wrong or it's not, you can't have it both ways.

Does it seem plausible that Harry, who was actively involved in mental health charities, told his pregnant wife to put on her make-up and go to the theatre with him?

Would anyone say that to a suicidal person? Forget about the rest of my post and just think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

I don’t think any of us can judge what they would or wouldn’t do in the situation they found themselves in tbh. As for criticism of them asking a lower HR palace staff member for advice. Are posters for real saying Charles, Camilla, William or Catherine would be fine with Meghan looking for help for her mental health and that going public? When they were invoked with helping feed the negative stories about them to keep other stories away from the papers (William and Rose).

Clearly some posters on here are so used to living in an alternative reality where it’s ok to criticise Meghan and her and Harry’s actions at a very vulnerable time in their lives, but not Kate or the others. No way, no questions to be asked - the British press say so.

You are literally doing what jm08 did a few pages back, what you yourself called nasty, how can you not see that?

I have debated Meghan's suicidal thoughts back when they were first raised, I’m not interested in getting bogged down in the semantics again.

The point is, you believe there was more to Meghan's mental health than was being said & jm08 believed there was more to Catherine’s health than what was being said, how are one set of questions more nasty than the other? In reality they're not, it's just that Catherine is given a pass while Meghan is fair game.

She wasn't fair game. Her suicide ideation was generally believed and championed with the likes of Piers Morgan for example receiving record complaints to Ofcom for disbelieving her. I think once people began to consider what was a version/side of things that some cynicism began kicking in. I don't think Meghan was faking it as mentioned. Losing control of the narrative can indeed be destabilising especially when, unlike her husband and in laws who became used to or developed a tolerance for press scrutiny, she just wasn't used to or prepared for it.

After her "no one asked me if I'm ok" South Africa interview then anyone paying attention could see she was struggling. Months later once they stepped away it was deemed a positive despite the bleatings from monarchists and professional **** stirrers like the aforementioned Morgan.

I just think when you have one who has been deliberately careful, discreet and unknowable for a quarter of a century then people will still naturally speculate but the probability is more likely to be in the realms of reality with her hospital stay for abdominal surgery being as stated versus another who has now been away from that family longer than she was among it but who has been cultivating narratives via interviews, a streaming show, a legal case, articles and an ongoing PR machine/spokespeople which seems to be reliant on fueling a conflict in that family for money, public opinion/attention. The latter will be questioned more than the former in my opinion.

There is, for example, no William and Kate thread here because unlike H&M there is just nothing to fuel it or have people like you or I question them in any meaningful or interesting way.

I can categorically state that I wouldn't tell anyone who was suicidal to put on their make-up and accompany me to the theatre.

They've all spoken about mental health, Harry has been open about having therapy in the past, you're both making it sound like mental health issues are something to be ashamed of. Maybe take at look at yourselves and wonder why you would think that @Carol25 and @Ms2011?

And @Carol25, where is the evidence that William had an affair and that Harry and Meghan were used as a smokescreen? He might well have had an affair but how did they stop an adult seeking help and what did that have to do with using them to hide an affair? None of us knew about the suicidal night at the theatre until the Oprah interview. The one with the racism allegation that got softened to unconscious bias. 🙄

Not on this thread Meghan wasn't believed (see above just some of the questions asked at the time) & that's fine no one's under any obligation to outright believe her but don't then get up in arms when the same types of questions are fired at Catherine (who I actually believe), it only serves to highlight the double standard that exists between both women.

Meghan was at the theatre, Catherine was in hospital for nearly 2 weeks.

One seems much more believable than the other.

Yeah nice try at trying to deflect there, it's nothing to do with mental health or abdominal surgery and all to do with how one women's health is fair game & the others is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The ones detatched from reality are the ones that believe the constantly changing nonsensical narratives Meggy makes up.

• Advertisement

I'm not deflecting, I addressed that in the below and previous posts:

It beggars belief that a man would tell his suicidal pregnant wife to put on her make-up (his own words) and go to the theatre because the two of them were so flummoxed they couldn't make a phone call, and that she seemed to be ok after crying when the lights went down.

Being suicidal is literally life-threatening and requires immediate psychiatric help. Their version of events is disrectful to those to have suicidal ideation and the relatives and friends of those who have lost loved ones to suicide. A trip to the theatre doesn't make everything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

You're deflecting is in reference to trying to make out I'm saying mental health is something to be ashamed of instead of acknowledging that you feel Catherine’s health is off the table for discussion but Meghan can be scrutinised to your heart content and you see no problem with that.

I'm just repeating myself at this point but a blind man can see the double standard at play here.

It's actually quite impressive how Kate (based on speculation I read) despite being depressed and suicidal because of a cheating psychotic husband managed to get home without her liver, her womb, her adrenal glands and only half her brain while still in a coma. 👍

Commenting on what someone has actually said about herself is not the same as wildly speculating what could possible be wrong with someone where a diagnosis hasn't been disclosed.

No deflection on my part at all.

Meghan saying she felt suicidal is as vague as Catherine's PR (who speak for Catherine) saying she was having abdominal surgery requiring 2 weeks recouperation, a diagnosis was not disclosed in either situation even if plenty here have tried to diagnose Meghan with a personality disorder.

No, I have previously detailed the extra information that was provided by Meghan.

It's the extra information that makes it very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭backwards_man

A person saying they feel suicidal is extremely specific and not vague at all. Dismissing it at vague undermines the seriousness of the thoughts behind the sentiment and the potential actions the person could take. Meghan was right to share it with her husband, who apparently told her to put on some makeup and go to the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Their version of her being suicidal was a crock a Sh1t, but they knew well that folks would be loath to pull them up on it. They used two very emotive cards, racism and mental health to pedal a devious agenda.

• Advertisement

Feeling suicidal is a vast term, vague means unclear (as unclear as abdominal surgery), nowhere did I play down the seriousness.

Advertisement