Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Do you think Harry was thinking about his mother during the first, the second and the third pap walk he did to promote his friends night club?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Maybe because it had such a devastating on his young life. He was 12 and it changed the course of his life. Imagine having to live with the thoughts that paps were taking photos of his dying mother and no one went to try and aid her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,121 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s not like he has books and documentaries out calling for criminal charges of the paparazzi.

(oh he does?)

Not just the media - the Mayor of New York said just the same.

I don't get why you would assume it was a high speed chase when you know its not possible to do such a chase in New York and the statement never said it was.

Then you proceed to say it never happened because you can't do a high speed chase in New York which no one claimed that it was!

• Advertisement

Thats bullshit. The message put out was factual.

As for Diana - everyone knows how she died. It was worldwide news. People who may not know much about Diana know how she died. Of course there is an automatic association with her son when something similar happens.

The message put out was factual (i.e. truth/s everyone agrees on) but the cops are actually still investigating what happened? Who is bullshitting who here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I can't imagine it's easy for his brother either, seeing Harry not only monopolising their mother's death and acting like he was the only person affected, but also staging crap like this, deliberately evoking what happened and capitalising on it to try and get his own way.

Especially when he reportedly constantly seeks to draw those parallels. "the last thing Mummy saw on this earth was a flashbulb" etc.

He's still selling those words for $36/pop on Amazon, hardback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭bmc58

I wouldn't say evil,that's too strong.But utterly self serving and coniving ,yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Well they had to concoct strategically and enact this whole elaborate scheme and at no point did they think it was wrong. Harry hates the paps, fair enough. He could have found a different way to expose their nature that didn't involve mimicking the death of Diana. These two have a streak and it aint on the side of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭backwards_man

The laws in Ireland or anywhere else are completely irrelevant. The only law that applies is the law in NY as it stands now.

Direct quote from your post "Now that Backgrid have acknowledged ownership of the images, they can be sued in court by H&M.......... H&M have now a legal case to persue them."

There is no evidence so far of any law being broken according to the NYPD.

The high speed point is also irrelevant. A chase implies persuit to catch up or keep up with someone which goes against the logic of traffic being brought to a standstill every 1/20 mile with traffic lights. There is no keeping up or catching up required. Omid scobie mentioned 80miles per hour at one point in an interview yesterday so maybe ask him on twitter how that high speed was attained.

Scobie isn't H&M's spokesperson. They put out a written statement which doesn't mention 'high speed'.

I'd say his publisher is selling those books (which is still No. 1 on the New York Times Bestseller book (I think I read somewhere for 18 weeks now).

And he is selling a lot more than just those words. And yes, it is pretty shocking to see flash photography of a woman dying in the back of a car and didn't bother to even try and help her. Total scum of the earth those paps. We all know what they are capable of now.

I'm aware that the laws are different in New York. Maybe they might start changing them now when they see that the life of some of the citizens of New York's lives were endangered. Also, there was damage done to stationary cars which means that a civil case could be forthcoming and evidence will be required as to who was involved in the chase.

The best thing though, is that the newspapers have probably spent a fortune on getting paps to New York and they are unable to publish any of the photos (which was probably one of the main aims of the Sussex's).

We all know he is though. He seems to have a lot of inside info anyway. How does he know that the king hasn't contacted them after their harrowing ordeal and that they are disappointed about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭backwards_man

No on all your points. If NY citizens are interested in laws being changed their efforts will be focused in the Neely/Penny chokehold case. This celebrity sh1t sh0w literally had zero imoact on the life of people living in NY. Your assumption that a pap v celebrity case will trump over people dying on a subway is naieve and trite in the extreme. There was no damage reported to cars...link evidence or you are just trolling. It didnt happen. Newspapers do not send paps to locations in 2023. if you understood how any of this works you would know they buy from local photographers, The best thing is that these tso clowns have been again outed as liars.

Lol you should read the thread on this incident on the NYC subreddit and see what new yorkers think about this nonsense. They won't be changing any laws

I don't think any photographers were "sent" there. Backgrid uses freelance photographers surely? They would have already been based in New York or nearby, basically Uber for paparazzi who then sell the photos on

If they do have a relationship with BackGrid, which I find unlikely to begin with, neither party is saying as much while they air their drama rather publicly to one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Couldn't agree more, Will should have as little as possible to do with the ginger whinger.

The plot thickens lol. I think the takeaway from this is don't try these stunts with new yorkers

Re the last line.

Yeah it's like Harry and Meghan are playing four dimensional chess while the paps and media are playing checkers is it? e.g. lets get the paps to chase us and then, after we broadcast via a spokesperson that we were chased and are actually lucky to be alive, everyone will be angry on our behalf because paps are evil and because of what happened to mummy and, get this, we can sue the paps for chasing us and then they can't actually use the footage/photos and make money.

So, they wouldn't be bothered by paps chasing celebs bashing into parked cars, breaking red lights, scooters on sidewalks where people are walking?

Couple of laws being broken there already I'd imagine!

And I know perfectly well how photo agencies work. The tabloids create the demand and local photographers try and put all their kids through college on getting one photo and selling it to the tabloids!

Only two of the photographers were Backgrid according to them. From reports they were not the only paps there.

Why are you claiming that they are lucky to be alive.

At no stage have they said that they were in danger. They have said the paps endangered the general public by breaking lights, scooters on sidewalks, bashing into cars etc.

I was exagerrating. You know, like Harry and Meghan et al exagerrate e.g. I was driving yesterday. Cars were passing me on the opposite side of the road. Only a couple of feet between us at times as well. There could have been multiple accidents. We're all lucky to be alive.

Their chase must have been like something from The French Connection from their initial reporting.

Paps are chasing them because pics of the Sussexes can put their kids through college? Eh, why did the director/editor of their Netflix show use pictures of other celebs/people and footage of his mother to give us the (false impression) that they are hounded then? One would imagine they would have been spoiled for choice yet funnily enough they weren't. Call it like it is. They got the slightest sniff of actual pap attention and played their Diana card. The fallout from this for them is self-inflicted.

This is the son who said his mother was paranoid? Who blocked the BBC from using her interview on Panarama? The son who is now trying to undermine his father? As Charlie would have put it ''the most devious of them all''.

You believe something as gospal from an unnamed source in PageSix? For all anyone knows, they might own an apartment in New York which they didn't want the tabloids to find out about. A far more likely case is the Carlile turned them down because they (and particularly their other guests) didn't want the hassle of dozens of paps camped at all the entrances, looking through their waste, looking in windows ect.

• Advertisement

The co-author of Finding Freedom, Carolyn Drurand, said they are chased "all the time". Sure Jan. What was it I was saying about exaggerating?

You were more than exagerating. You were telling lies. They did not say they themselves were in danger.

Lucky you that the people you were passing were not breaking lights, taking photos and blinding you with flash photography (as the driver). We're lucky in this country that we have such laws so that people don't get hurt.

Yes. Paps can put 2 or 3 kids through college with a photo of them according to a journalist from Vanity Fair (when explaining why the paps are so reckless in their pursuit of a photo). The paps will be rightly pissed off because Harry effectively blocked them from anyone publishing photos by demanding photos from BackGrid as any usage will now incriminate them!

Netflix would have got the permission from the orignators of any photos they would have used and would have paid a fee for its usage. They are hounded, just the Mail or the Express don't publish when the courts rule in H&M's favour, so you don't know about it.

Well, you claim to be a fan of the use of exaggeration yourself (read your own post above).🤣

Stop telling lies. They are not hounded. They are not chased all the time. They are a pair of attention seekers utterly thirsty to always play the victims and more than willing to exagerrate when necessary. They attended an award show, they left, they got to where they were going while photographers followed, their crap security decided to play billy big shot bollox to lose the paps, they caused chaos and it was all a storm in a tea cup. Then they signed off on a statement made the following day having people imagine that it was akin to Mad Max in Midtown and get people thinking they could have died like Diana. After getting scutinised, the details suggested that it was all a complete exaggeration and their victim playing back fired and their victim playing became more concrete as they were deservedly ridiculed. I find it interesting that his family have said nothing about it all. They probably know all about the bullshit antics and now pay no heed to them. I also find it interesting that their celeb pals have also said nothing. Oprah, Tyler etc. It is like that Dave Chapelle skit about Jussie Smollet where while everyone else was losing their minds about the racially motivated MAGA homophobic attack the black community was "oddly quiet". Why? Because they knew this guy was clearly lying.

Given the clap and blow back they've gotten from this I'd suggest they go back to Montecito. Drink some wine. Down some shrooms. Spend quality time with the kids. Take a breather for a few weeks and contemplate why they just can't seem to catch a break and win everybody over to their side.

So when I give an example of something going forward then that means I am automatically a fan of what I am giving an example of. Gotcha. 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That’s as good an explanation as any- it also makes total sense.

• Advertisement

What actually happened.

What they wanted us to believe happened.

They are rarely seen nowadays. The press were speculating on all sorts of conspiracy theories when Meghan wasn't seen for a month. Seeminly 100 articles in the Daily Mail on Meghan in that month. From this evidence, they don't need publicity. They get it non stop and as Oscar Wilde said: ''There is no such thing as bad publicity''. Meghan appeals more to her haters than to her supporters. Worldwide attention from everyone.

Lets wait and see Harry's footage in the next Netflix documentary / court case before deciding on how mad it all was. You and other people need to grow up if you get so up over reminders of Harry's mother's death.

They actually said very little other than the paps were reckless in their pursuit (by breaking red lights, scooters on footpaths, flashing cameras).

I'm not a bit surprised that the Royal family has said nothing. Why would they? If Harry's father & brother can withdraw security at short notice and tell the British tabloids where they are staying, a little car chase in Manhattan is only going to disappoint them that something didn't happen.

The Sussex's friends have said nothing. Why would they? All that would result in is the tabloid press manipulating what they said.

If no one is on their side, surely its time to leave them alone? Why do you keep ranting on about them if they are irrelevant to you? What have they done to you?

And I think you need to examine this almost zealous like need you have to deflect, twist, minimise everything on their behalf for their benefit. 🤷‍♂️

So you have a problem waiting for the footage from Harry to appear before judging what really happened? I wonder why that is. I just don't get why you hate them so much. My distain is more of the British tabloid industry that can destroy a country (with Brexit) and people like Harry & Meghan or Caroline Flack (and all the ones we don't know about). I admire H&M taking the British tabloid industry on even though it is proving very costly to them.

For the umpteenth time I don't hate them. Twitter now has the ability to load video. Maybe Harry should post his footage warts and all to a Twitter account? If it was as bad as they claim then wouldn't they be rushing out to validate their claims? So, what is the problem?

And those tabloids? They are only too delighted with them and their carry on because they really are a gift that keeps on giving for them. They went to an event about a specific cause. Have we been hearing all about that since? No. It is all about the chase and the fallout. For balance I think the Sussexes have made very valid points about the media (i.e. in this case they would argue that the media/press should focus their reach to promote the cause, the honorees, their work etc.) but it can't be ignored that when making sensational claims like car chase with paps sensational media in particular won't do that but will delight in making sensational claims. They effectively feed the very beast they claim to despise and wish would measure up for good. It is as if they are seeking attention. It is fascinating to me but cry hate all you like.

• Advertisement

Meghan was one of the honorees. Why are you having a go at her. I believe one of the other recipients (Black Lives Matter) is also getting a hard time from the right wing media/tabloids owned by the likes of Murdock. You know, the one who just paid out on false claims about the election results in the US and had to sack one/two (I think now) of their presenters who just can't tell the truth. These are the people you are believing. There is no impartial/vested reporting of what happened. Of course BackGrid will say they behaved appropriately (even though the cops told them to go away). The Sussexes have been castigated for among other things, for not staying in a hotel by the vested interests of the media. The Sussexes have made very few claims, except in your imagination (fed of course by the likes of the Daily Mail and Express). While you might not hate them, you do put a lot of effort into creating hateful commentary by manipulating what they said and sensationalising it (though at least we have not got through to you that we don't accept that they claimed it was a high speed chase in New York)! That took a lot of effort.

That is quite the diatribe. I don't read tabloids so how the hell are the Daily Mail and The Express informing me of anything? That kind of insult is boring by now i.e. you must be so thick that the tabloids are telling you what to think. I am basing my take on this based on what their security and their spokespeople have put out, what the authorities have said on it, what the taxi driver and even what the paps themselves involved said.

I find it refreshing in following this that we now finally have a scenario where their version of the truth can be compared/contrasted with those who are neutral and who aren't operating under an omerta/never explain or complain outlook i.e. his family who I'd imagine must be long chomping at the bit to react but know they can't/shouldn't. They've had their arses handed to them here and I don't think we'll be seeing any footage from them despite its capacity to vindicate/validate their version because they are exaggerating this for effect.

So now is there any possible inkling from you, via contrasting what is being said from their end against other neutral ends unencumbered by NDAs, biases, Royal "Firm" Omerta, that the Sussexes and those affiliated them might be exaggerating this? Any at all?

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

They actually said very little other than the paps were reckless in their pursuit (by breaking red lights, scooters on footpaths, flashing cameras).

Don't you think this would warrant fines? While in police statement, no tickets were issued. With cameras everywhere there, they would be, if it happened, so obviously it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

That’s outrageous. His mother WAS paranoid, in large part due to Martin Bashir’s lies. The lies which are the reason Prince William fought to block the Panorama interview being shown ever again, it was obtained through deception. William has done more to protect his mother’s memory than Harry, who is using her death as a ghoulish cash cow. I’ve learned horrible things about Diana’s behaviour because of Harry, why doesn’t he ever celebrate the good things she did, why does he reduce her to nothing but a victim. He’s using her, and it doesn’t reflect well on him at all.

Agreed. Didn't William once says words to the effect of his mothers death could have either made him or broken him. A not so subtle dig at Harry who milks his mothers life endlessly and, when a commercial partner (Netflix/The Crown) dramatises his mothers interview he is very quiet about it. I would imagine that if Diana agreed to an RPO then that officer wouldn't be acting with bravado on the night of her death. She turned down any RPO as she was paranoid about leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harry is an embarassment to his family. Desperately trying to stay relevant and as this latest farce shows utterly desperate to get the limelight.

South Park actually got that part of him and Meg dead on. They incessesantly whine about the media to......the media that they seek out to whine about.

The Sussexs have said very little and what their spokesperson has said says nothing about them claiming that they were doing it at high speed or that they themselves felt they were in danger. BackGrid claimed that their photographers couldn't hurt them because they only had cameras! Do they think people are stupid. Your account of events/opinions seems to tally very much with how the tabloids spin the events, so you have a lot in common then.

What is their version of the truth. All they have said is that they were chased by paps for 2 hours in New York.

What they didn't say that it was 'high speed' or that they were ''in danger''. Why are they being mocked for claiming this?

When it comes to 'never explain, never complain' - William is doing a fair bit of complaining (absolutely losing his rag) here when in fact the pap was very polite to him.

https://twitter.com/BobVeres/status/1659911265035141123?s=20

Oh a pap can be polite now? Deflecting again with whataboutery. The context of that was it was a journo trying to get a scoop by catching William/family/Edward and his family violating covid lockdown mass gathering restrictions. He was loitering around trying to catch them in the act. They went on a bike without any RPO and the journo, filming them to gather evidence, follows them. Oh so polite. Father with some unknown stranger filming/stalking him and his kids. I mean, what a monster for losing his temper trying to find out who the **** this random person actually was as he calls his RPO to come escort the guy away.

Quite simply their spokesperson put out a version of events, Scobie put out additional details and then various people and agencies directly and indirectly involved put out their versions. The latter dilutes, undermines and tempers the former. So recollections vary. Who else said that I wonder?

The point of the clip was to show that William was complaining (in fact he was very angry) so quit using the the Royal Family ''never complain" as a whip to beat the Sussex's with.

What has happened with William is exactly what happened with the Sussexes. They had done the event, they had stood for plenty of photos, come out the front of the building and wanted to go home without being followed. Something similar as William being out for a ride with his family. Why didn't he just let the pap take some photos of him. William & his family are funded by the taxpaper and they do flaunt their young family all over the place. The British people have a right to see this family who they financially support.

Are you saying that the Sussex's were briefing Scobie? I think he was giving his opinion based on what he had heard from various people involved, just like you without any concrete information and certainly not from the Sussexes. They never said it was a 'high speed' chase, but it was widely claimed that is was and that the Sussexs were telling lies again, when in fact they didn't say anything about the speed. Then you try and infer that Scobie is their spokesperson, when in fact the Sussexes have their own spokesperson.

Dismissing your dead mother as paranoid is not very loyal, or nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement