Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping in Athlone?

Options
  • 08-03-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    In the next few weeks as the weather improves, I plan to cycle the greenway from Kilcock to Athlone and would ideally like to find somewhere I can camp there before making the return journey the next day.

Google maps isn't really showing me anywhere I might be able to lay my head (bivvy bag, sleeping mat and tarp for cover across the bike, so I don't need much in the way of space).

Can anyone share any helpful ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I saw this cyclists description of the ride...with photos.

https://irishcycle.com/2020/07/13/irelands-longest-off-road-cycle-route-is-open-over-100km-between-maynooth-and-athlone/comment-page-1/

From my experience with the canals, there would be plenty of quiet grassy spots beside the canal where you could do a discreet overnight stealth-camp. You wouldn't be the first to ever try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Hi all,
    In the next few weeks as the weather improves, I plan to cycle the greenway from Kilcock to Athlone and would ideally like to find somewhere I can camp there before making the return journey the next day.

Google maps isn't really showing me anywhere I might be able to lay my head (bivvy bag, sleeping mat and tarp for cover across the bike, so I don't need much in the way of space).

Can anyone share any helpful ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi I did the cycle over 2-days last summer and if I was doing it again I would definitely camp overnight ..there were lots of nice places along the way.
    I liked Thomastown Harbour and you have Nanny Quinn's pub there for food if it's open (depending on restrictions)
    I loved the Hill of Down seems like a lovely place to spend more time but it's not far into your cycle if you're going from Dublin ... might be an idea to do it in reverse and head back into Dublin if you wanted to stay there?

Btw the canal greenway doesn't actually go to Athlone you would have to take the old railway line from Mullingar or stay on the greenway to the Shannon at Cloondra.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

The embankment is pretty wide in spots along the greenway. There's certainly several places I can think of between Moate and Castletown Geoghegan on way back you could sleep in a bivy especially if you set up late and left early. Moate to Athlone is a bit more exposed but there is probably still spots.

There is a campsite not to far out of Athlone but when they'll be allowed open is the big question.
    https://loughreeeast.wixsite.com/loughreeeast

Advertisement