Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Get A Running Coach?

Options
  • 07-03-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Thinking of investing in the services of a running coach. Wondering is it worth the expense on the account of COVID?

Presumably running form would need to be examined. Not sure how you'd do that over the net though.

I'd probably go with a 'running coach' as opposed to a PT who might have studied a bit of running theory. Someone who has competed at a reasonable level.

How much would this cost me? Also how many coaching sessions do you think would be required?

Just mulling it over for the time being ...

Did anyone out there ever have a running coach? Was it worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    Thinking of investing in the services of a running coach. Wondering is it worth the expense on the account of COVID?

Presumably running form would need to be examined. Not sure how you'd do that over the net though.

I'd probably go with a 'running coach' as opposed to a PT who might have studied a bit of running theory. Someone who has competed at a reasonable level.

How much would this cost me? Also how many coaching sessions do you think would be required?

Running forum be better but it’s a depends question. What do you want out of it. What are you trying to achieve? Will they be looking at your stats to see where you are running to hard or slow. Yes they are good if you get the right one but can be no if just giving you plans with no feedback.

Cost wise your looking at €80-€100 a month on average. Maybe €20 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Trampas wrote: »
    What do you want out of it. What are you trying to achieve? Will they be looking at your stats to see where you are running to hard or slow.

I spend a reasonable amount of time running most days. Have done for well over a year. Might be a good idea to brush up on theory.

Yeah, i use an inspire fitbit hr. Don't see why i wouldn't be able to share data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

MouseMan01 wrote: »

I've used a run coach in the past. Although an experienced PT and runner, it's always good to learn from someone better!

I had a particular marathon time goal which I had failed to get by myself. Got a coach to do a plan and hit my target first time.

I used Vinny Mulvey who was brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Define exactly what you are looking for

Do you want someone to analyse your running rhythm to get you faster over a set distance?

Are you looking for someone to analyse your running form to tell you about your head or ass position when you are running?

Are you looking for someone to reccoemnd strength exercises that compliment your running?

Something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Define exactly what you are looking for

Do you want someone to analyse your running rhythm to get you faster over a set distance?

Are you looking for someone to analyse your running form to tell you about your head or ass position when you are running?

Are you looking for someone to reccoemnd strength exercises that compliment your running?

Something different?

Thanks ciaran. Love my running. But dont want to compete.

I basically consider running as roadwork for my eventual return to the (amateur) boxing scene.

I hope to join a boxing gym after lockdown.

To that end I try to practice 80/20 running over 7.5 miles, mixed with some cycling to cross-train with 3 home weights sessions per week thrown in to build muscle.

Couple of issues though. I seem to be running off all my muscle. My sleep patterns aren't great. Which could be affecting my testosterone levels.

Got my bloods done a while back. Waiting for testosterone level results. I'm also 42M. So I plan on sticking to boxercise and sparring mostly. Geriatric boxing maybe? :-)

Come to think of it. A PT with running experience as well as resistance training experience which has trained amateur boxers and is located in cork city would be ideal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement