Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best free anti virus /firewall

Options
  • 07-03-2021 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭

Okay as per the heading.

Giving laptop to parents with windows 10.They just use it for browsing and email and Skype etc.

What is the best anti virus and firewall that I can install. Something that will update and won't hog the system

I will install team viewer to remote in but just looking for an anti virus to install first

Cheers

Comments

Do you really need one with Windows 10? Windows defender is built in. It's more important to install adblock in the browsers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Do you really need one with Windows 10? Windows defender is built in. It's more important to install adblock in the browsers IMO.

That's the question. I will install ad blocker on chrome and also no script but not sure if all pages will load etc

I use them myself and disable them for some pages.

I don't think they will be doing online banking so just looking for online safety for them as not technically minded

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

That's the question. I will install ad blocker on chrome and also no script but not sure if all pages will load etc

I use them myself and disable them for some pages.

I don't think they will be doing online banking so just looking for online safety for them as not technically minded

Windows defender and malwarebytes and they should be protected from most things

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you or your parents have online banking with Ulster bank you can get a free 1 year licence for mwb pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Windows defender and malwarebytes and they should be protected from most things

Will try this does free malwarebytes update or do you have to pay to get updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Will try this does free malwarebytes update or do you have to pay to get updates

It tells you there is an update and you click it to update all updates are free. Only difference between free and paid version is the real time scanner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Okay as per the heading.

Giving laptop to parents with windows 10.They just use it for browsing and email and Skype etc.

What is the best anti virus and firewall that I can install. Something that will update and won't hog the system

I will install team viewer to remote in but just looking for an anti virus to install first

Cheers

I would recommend this instead of a browser plugin

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I haven't used a standalone AV or firewall since W10 its own AV is very good. I just have adblock on my browser, never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jcon

defender on windows 10 should suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Co. Clare Man

Try the software from these vendors:

• F-Secure
    • Avira
    • Trellix
    • Bitdefender
    • Trend Micro
    • ESET
    • Malwarebytes
    • SUPERAntiSpyware