Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handheld Hijinks Vol 1 - LLXL

Options
  • 06-03-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Having sold off a chunk of my collection over the last year or two, it never really sat right with me that I'd no 3DS anymore. Yes there is the Citra emulator, but it's still not quite perfect in many cases, far from it in others....and even if it were a perfect emulator, it will never be able to replicate the 3DS screen.

I decided to right the wrong, & go full Ciderman, and rebuy one. I wanted an XL model, and I wanted it in Pearl White. Hard to get in trustable condition over here at this stage, and with Brexit making eBay UK far from attractive, I said feck it, go the whole hog and import a Japanese LL model. So, partially inspired by MVG's recent 3DS video, I pulled the trigger on a Jap one.

Using this guide, my plan was to install Custom Firmware on it, and use it not really for anything emulation related, but more for its native capabilities and some of the VC titles. I wanted a place to put many of the Zelda games, some of the unique 3D Zelda games & remasters, and perhaps some of the Nintendo classics like the Metroid series, Mario, series, etc.....keeping the focus on the handheld games so as not to fill it up games, ultimately never playing anything.

It arrived there during the week, looking quite fresh/minty (as a lot of Japanese stuff tends to be). Boxed, manuals, console, stylus, the works.

1615046356680.jpg

1615046356678.jpg

1615046356675.jpg

1615046356673.jpg

1615046356697.jpg

1615046356695.jpg

1615046356693.jpg

IMG-20210303-172125.jpg

IMG-20210304-170514.jpg

I say this idea was partially inspired by MVG, because he was happy enough to install custom firmware on his LL, and run with that. As cool as it is seeing the menu text in Japanese, the novelty quickly wore off, having to watch video after video in order to find my way around the system settings etc. So I decided to do a full on region change, to the EU region.

This is completely cosmetic, because while on Custom Firmware, it's a region free console anyway...and the other drawback of the region change is that it'll mostly remove the ability for online play and purchasing DLC etc. I really never plan on doing these things, so I'm happy with the trade-off. So I set doing the region change procedure. After a few mins...

1615046356685.jpg

1615046356687.jpg

1615046356689.jpg

A region free EU region 3DS LL! Talk about hybrids...

Anyway, I'm just waiting on a larger SDHC card to arrive, and I'll finish off putting on what I want. I want a few more of the unique ports like Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 3D (done by M2 iirc?). That's that hole in the collection patched then!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going full Ciderman?
    Et tu Inviere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

MVG inspired me to do likewise, but I opted for a the 'new' 2DXL - ended up not really bothering with emulation as Mario Kart andSuper Mario 3D Land ended up being the only games on there. Great little handheld console.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Going full Ciderman?
    Et tu Inviere?

I sold my 3DS XL's, only to rebuy this one....all that's left to do now is sell this one...:o
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    MVG inspired me to do likewise, but I opted for a the 'new' 2DXL - ended up not really bothering with emulation as Mario Kart andSuper Mario 3D Land ended up being the only games on there. Great little handheld console.

Yeah this will be much the same. I've very little interest in using it as an everyday emulation device. The 2DS XL is a fine machine, I may yet grab one of those at some stage also!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm still trying to claim a 3ds that my kids said they no longer wanted, so I hacked it, and added all the stuff I wanted, and now all of a sudden they want it again. Cursed teenagers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Inviere wrote: »
    I wanted an XL model, and I wanted it in Pearl White. Hard to get in trustable condition over here at this stage, and with Brexit making eBay UK far from attractive, I said feck it, go the whole hog and import a Japanese LL model. So, partially inspired by MVG's recent 3DS video, I pulled the trigger on a Jap one.

i'm also really interested in getting a Japanese model as they seem to be in excellent condition comparing to what you can buy here. If you don't mind sharing i would like to ask how much did you pay import duties?

• Advertisement

i'm also really interested in getting a Japanese model as they seem to be in excellent condition comparing to what you can buy here. If you don't mind sharing i would like to ask how much did you pay import duties?

DHL shipped it, was marked as being posted on a Monday morning, and I had it in my hands three days later, incredibly fast. Of course with DHL, you're guaranteed to be handed import fees unfortunately. I think they totalled at in or around €30, not the end of the world all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

While I understand the arguments for emulation of them I think the DS and 3DS will always maybe be the only platform I'll insist on original hardware for. They're so cheap and the format so unique I think its worth have one around for when you want it.

megaten wrote: »
    While I understand the arguments for emulation of them I think the DS and 3DS will always maybe be the only platform I'll insist on original hardware for. They're so cheap and the format so unique I think its worth have one around for when you want it.

I'm inclined to agree. The stylus and the split screens, plus 3d, emulation can't really do them justice.

What kills me about the 3ds is that Ninty had a golden opportunity to bring some virtual boy over, but didnt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Straying from dual screens was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As much as I'm really enjoying the Switch, I really hate that it's killed the DS platform and Nintendo dedicated handhelds in general.

I'd say Nintendo are both simultaneously loving how popular their console is but also reeling to have given up such a strong foothold in the mobile gaming market.

I can't say I've left the house with my Switch once. Probably saw one 2-3 out and about and that was it.

My 3DS and DS lived in my bag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do love the switch but I find Dual Screens actually really enhance most games. At the very best it gives you unique gameplay experiences you can't get anywhere else like Canvas Curse and Etrian Odyssey. At worst it's a map, which is actually really really handy to have on at all times.

The clam shell form factor is also really portable friendly.

I fired up Phantom Hourglass there on the 3DS, as the last time I played it was back in the DS days. It really struck me just how nice the dual split screen is, and as good as DS emulation is, it physically just can't compare with a physical DS/3DS in that sense.

Got inspired by Inviere here and purchased "New" 3DS LL from Japan. Condition is near mint. I was amazed . You can not get this kind of condition in Ireland.

I think Nintendo should have continued developing 3D technology they had. I mean i loved my 3DS , i have switch but the switch for me is more of meh... its not portable enough for me and it's not good enough as a console . Real shame they stopped the progress of 3DS platform .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

are they easy to import in ?
    Wouldnt mind one .
    mind you I'm also on the lookout for a broken DS to turn into a GBAXL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind one .
    mind you I'm also on the lookout for a broken DS to turn into a GBAXL

Or you could buy one already converted!
    http://www.adverts.ie/23323596

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind one .

Ebay.com - search for 3DS LL (and make sure it's the 'new' variant.

I'm just waiting on my analogue pocket to arrive. Checked twitter to check for an update and they have just been teasing with videos of handheld games on their account for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I picked up a cheap GB Boy clone system. Not the greatest backlit screen, but does a job. I didn't fancy doing a mod myself. Useful for a quick blast of Tetris in the evenings, but I've now got that music in my head.

just some images for 3DS LL from Japan . Condition is really almost as new .

20210324-122117.jpg
    20210324-122124.jpg
    20210324-122315.jpg
    20210324-122349.jpg
    20210324-122537.jpg
    20210324-122752-kindlephoto-45414848.jpg

Now waiting for case from ali :D

Nice surprise was that it came with 64Gb card in it. tested card and its genuine , also no error or bad blocks

20210324-171602.jpg

specks you see in pictures are dust particles, the console looks better in real life than pictures.

You going to leave it in Japanese, or do the region mod?

• Advertisement

If you have a hacked 3DS I highly recommend the fan translation of Beyond Labyrinth. Interesting premise for a game and the music is incredible:

You going to leave it in Japanese, or do the region mod?

Initially i liked the idea of pure Japanese product but i'm getting very quickly tired of constantly using Google Lens .
    I know i will lose access to eshop but at this stage, i dont think its a massive loss

Initially i liked the idea of pure Japanese product but i'm getting very quickly tired of constantly using Google Lens .
    I know i will lose access to eshop but at this stage, i dont think its a massive loss

There's tonnes of amazing stuff on that eshop but it's so ****ing bad for browsing. If it's not new and you aren't looking for something in particular you will never stumble across something interesting. Only really Nintendo Life have a decent curation of what is on the eshop but there reviews can be a bit wonky and often dismiss games that would appeal to me. Just glad the 3DS is hacked so that stuff is perserved forever.

Also other recommendations, get all the 'Guild01' games.

These are short experimental games made by famous japanese developers. They are all weird, inventive and crazy ideas and they range from good to incredible. All are worth trying.

In particular is Yasumi Matsuno's Crimson Shroud, a great little 6 hour RPG in the style of a table top D&D game. Great story and soundtrack. There's one stupid difficulty gate that is hard to figure out, use a faq for that. But well worth a play.

3DS really was a great system.

Pretty much an identical feeling to my own. There was a coolness about having a Jap handheld, which quickly wore off trying to navigate around.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's tonnes of amazing stuff on that eshop but it's so ****ing bad for browsing. If it's not new and you aren't looking for something in particular you will never stumble across something interesting.

Couldn't agree more, awful to browse through.

Now waiting for case from ali :D

What's the case you mention? A shell swap, travel case or a display case?

What's the case you mention? A shell swap, travel case or a display case?

only getting a protective case

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001140624304.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.31764c4dqSppfH

Ordered Mario kart one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm just waiting on my analogue pocket to arrive. Checked twitter to check for an update and they have just been teasing with videos of handheld games on their account for months.

Back to October now. I missed out on the pre-order and have given up on getting on in the foreseeable future so I'm going to get an RG351V instead.

I already have and RG350M which is a beautifully put together little machine with build quality to almost match the Sony/Nintendo consoles but the form factor of the 351V is just too tempting to turn down.

While ago i've purchased a black PSP 3000 on adverts. It was in working order but in very poor condition. Buttons were erratic , not always working. PSP was very dirty and plastic was peeling off , front and back. Screen scratched in a number of places. All in all in a sorry state. It was not my intention to buy it in such a poor state but pictures were somewhat misleading to say the least.
    So ordered full case replacement from aliexpres and after watching some videos went about replacing it.

20201119-205404.jpg
    20201119-210346.jpg
    20201119-210920.jpg

20201119-213315.jpg

At this point i was thinking oh no, what have i done :eek:
    20201119-213322.jpg

And now putting all the bits together hoping for no "spare parts"
    20201119-220327.jpg
    20201119-222938.jpg

And finally!!
    20201120-161655.jpg

Total about 5 hours of work in my case

Large image:
    20201120-161655.jpg

Well done. I done the same to two old PSP's years ago, got some decent new replacement cases and fit them. Well worth doing.

• Advertisement

I just kind of hate everything about the PSP control interface. It's just not good enough for me with retrogames.

I'd kill for a handheld with the Neo Geo Pocket controls. I was playing the Switch collection and it's excellent except it's a disaster to pull off anything in the fighting games. On the actual hardware it's an absolute breeze.

Advertisement