Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

This is the one. I have it connected to smart plug linked to home assistant and automated then to come on depending on temperature readings pulled from the Solis inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Better weather today, checked the Solis core temp and it was 54°.

Turned on the fan and 2 hours later its 33°.

Battery is 22° and nearly full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Ordered one of these bad boys myself https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GP622YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will set it to max speed and let HA control a smart plug with this plugged in based on the inverter temp.

I was going to go for a DIY project and build one of these esphome fan controllers https://github.com/patrickcollins12/esphome-fan-controller but don't wave the time for that 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Again you are mixing up things a little there scunermac.

Standard Inverter : Can take power generated from your panels and give to your house (including EDDI hot water)

Hybrid Inverter : Can take power generated from your panels and give to your house (including EDDI hot water) and also, if you have a battery present, it can charge and dis-charge a battery.

You don't have to have a battery installed with a hybrid inverter, but if you install a Standard one, then you are effectively closing the door on adding a battery down the road without either replacing the standard inverter with a hybrid, or adding a 2nd inverter such as a "ME3000"

If you are unsure or don't have the money right now for a battery, but feel that it's likely you will add a battery down the road, I'd ask for a "hybrid inverter". They are perhaps €200-300 more expensive than the standard one, but you'll keep your options open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Agreed.

It makes no sense to me to get a standard inverter now and then be faced with an upgrade or a second inverter later.

Much cheaper and easier to get a hybrid now to future proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

Also Check if the inverter is Tied to a battery , will lessen any oprions later ..

The solis hybrid inverters are nearly double the price of standard inverters (700 vs 1300 + vat)

Its not hard to swap out inverters, but it's still more work than just putting in a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Yep exactly. It doesn’t mean you can never add a battery to a system that has a standard inverter installed. It just means there is a bit of extra work (and cost) to do it.

The dilemma I had was trying to justify the cost increase now for a hybrid inverter ‘just in case’ I wanted to add a battery later. I decided to save my money for now by just going with a standard inverter, with the understanding that the system could still be upgraded later if needed (with an additional cost at that time).

Plus, the installer I decided to go with only install standard inverters (they operate a very fixed model). So it would have meant changing to a different installer with a higher price. I was very happy with the installer I’ve gone with as they were brilliant during the initial planning stage. I’m now just waiting until the second half of this year for the system to be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

The important thing is that keeping with the original install keeps that warranty and support intact.

I do feel that a separate storage inverter gives several benefits over hybrid, the most useful being being able to install both in separate locations (maybe PV inverter in the attic and a Storage Inverter in the shed with the batteries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

That's it. The Solis hybrid inverters are compatible with loads of batteries. Polyntech batteries will become relatively "cheap" once stock is back.

The Solis hybrid is only 400eur dearer than their string inventer model. I think it is a total non-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I have been lurking for a while and have read most of the posts of the last few months. Thanks all for some really great information! I am planning to build a DIY 10 / 20 kWh battery system using either 16 or 32 of the standard 200AH Lifepo4 cells at the end of the summer. I'll probably play it safe and just go with a 10kWh 16p1s system now.

Some stores on AliExpress have a sale on at the moment to celebrate 618. I see most people mention OYE Store and PWOD Store when it comes to LifePO4 cell purchase. Has anyone used OOzing Store? Comparing the VAT inc price, OOzing are about 300 euro cheaper than the other two stores for 16x '2022 200AH Lifepo4 4-32PCS 200ah Battery High Capacity Battery Pack NEW Lifepo4 Battery For RV Golf Cart Battery EU US duty free'.

Good value or too risky?

I'm not aware of anyone actually receiving cells from anyone other than PWOD and OYE. Several of us have bought and received refunds from other sellers

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I purchased mine from Docan Power on Alibaba. Very easy to deal with and all arrived.

But like you I also purchased some from Aliexpress which did not arrive and had to wait for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

On a slightly tangential topic, what are people using as enclosures for DIY batteries?

If I go the DIY route I'll probably end up putting the battery downstairs in the utility room as it's reasonably convenient for the CU and cable runs from the panels

This opens up the possibility of the kidderlings messing with the wires or trying to lick the busbars or something

So something which is fairly secure like a metal cabinet seems like the best approach (small server cabinet springs to mind). Or maybe a lockable box made from fire rated plywood?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Also how much ventilation to the cells need? Would a few temperature activated exhaust fans on the enclosure do the job?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

If you put under a table or bench, you could get a piece of wood as a door, hinged along the bottom / floor edge, with a bolt or lock keeping it closed

Never underestimate the amount of trouble kids can get into 🤕

I was thinking of putting a kitchen cabinet in and putting the batteries inside with a padlock across the door

I would probably line it with fire resistant material since modern furniture is basically kindling

Bit worried about ventilation though, the utility room gets fairly warm and inverter plus batteries will only add to the heat. Maybe a few vents in the bottom and top of the cabinet would be enough? Plus some temperature activated fans to assist in warmer weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭munsterfan2

Got a battery capacity tester from Aliexpress, working through my cells, but here is a sample output. Tested down to 2.6v.

A few more to test as was away on holidays. Will get on to OYE store again then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I look forward to the day that this happens to PV batteries so I can upgrade

Between holidays etc and back and forth I finally got all the discharge reports sent and I must be making progress as we are now talking to the leaders :-)

"我将情况反馈给领导

I will feedback the situation to the leaders."

Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Best of luck with it and I really hope you get sorted. I had one cell discharging much lower that the other 15 and after tooing and froing for over a month this is where I got to.

我们问过工程师了 这个电池的电压是正常的 电池也是正常的 ,如果需要将电池超级平衡 建议需要使用 平衡器

We have asked the engineer that the voltage of this battery is normal, and the battery is also normal. If you need to super balance the battery, it is recommended to use a balancer.

I held off on contacting PAYPAL until it was too late as I thought the company would replace the cell. lesson learned. all cell within 25 mv of each other when resting.

Did they have you run a capacity test on the cell ? I used bench charger to charge to 3.65v and close to 0a. Then connected to discharger which gives a full spreadsheet of the discharge and I sent them these. None of my cells are to spec. Let me know if you need a loan of the discharger

@irishchris have you been able to pull 5kw (steady) from the inverter for more than about 15 minutes?

I've wedged a desk fan temporarily on top of the inverter, it's kept the temperatures below 40, the whole time but still throttles after about 15 odd minutes to 63 amps.

The bms readouts are still showing 100 amps charge /500 discharge (it's the default on my bms) so it's not that.

I wonder is it the aobo setting. Next thing I'll try is to change the name in the bms so I don't get a name error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Only noticed this last night myself as the missus was baking so had good few appliances on and seems to stay 5kw for about 15/20 mins then drops to about 68amps.

I originally thought as well it was temperatures but have a wall mounted fan above and keeps temperatures around 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

Looks like there's European stock of some server rack batteries Will Prowse has had on his youtube videos.

JK48V100PRO I Server Rack 51.2V 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery - €1,739

https://www.europe.sokbattery.com/product-page/sok-battery-100ah-48v-server-rack-battery, SOK Battery 48V100Ah Server Rack Battery - € 2,019

Great to see some more brands coming on the market so Plyontech is not the one one in town. Anyone have nay thoughts on how well they would work with a sofar me3000sp?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

Hello,

Thanks for all help in advance. Apologies if this has been asked already. I am getting in a hyundai system with the hyundai sun2000 controller. Is it possible to power a couple of ordinary deep cycle batteries(not lithium) from this controller? Do I need another piece of equipment to connect first to the controller to charge said batteries? One more question; in the event of a power cut would this system still charge the batteries(I know it will not continue to feed the grid in my house)

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Good to see different options all right.

Are SOK batteries compatible with Solis hybrid inverters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Those are not great prices for the SOKs, you might as well get the puredrives for that price.

Advertisement