Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric moped insurance

Options
  • 03-03-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello,
    Thinking of buying an E moped as I only have about 3 mile to and from work.
    Anyone know who would insure them and roughly what the quotes would be for a 44 year old male with a spotless driving history clean license and already have car insured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Canosonic did you have any luck on this? I know legislation is on the way, but could you/will you be able to insure it as a moped, assuming you have AM (or Q UK Driving Licence) or higher on your licence.

I rented an e-scooter in the UK and they look after insurance but you needed your licence for it! (Like here I still think it is not legal there yet, to use your own e-scooter on the road)

I know it looks like here you won't have to tax, vehicle registration or insure the "vehicle" but surely you should be able to insure yourself as a user/rider/driver - if you wanted to?

Do/will any insurance companies offer on their car policies, that they will also insure you as an e-scooter user?

It annoys me that if you try and do the right or sensible thing you get punished! and that they make things so much more difficult than it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Are you talking about an electric scooter, or and e-scooter? Two different things... one requires a license, tax and insurance, the latter doesn't (under new legislation)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The right and sensible thing to do is wait to see what the legislation is on e-scooters/e-bikes. If the law is then enforced a lot of people will find out they're still using them illegally.

For proper electric mopeds and motorbikes once it's got EU type approval it should be insurable, there's only 4 companies that'll insure bikes in Ireland so won't take long to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I just think - you should be able to easily add an e-scooter (or indeed electric moped) as an add-on to your car insurance. Since you are insuring an individual or should be and not a vehicle/device?

I think the legislation will be a loophole for some electric-moped/electric-scooters, to be classified as e-scooters, or for some e-scooters to become more like mopeds.

What would the rule be if you stand up it's an e-scooter and if you can sit it's an electric scooter?

Many of those pushbikes with motors are I think overstep the mark, with more emphasis on the motor than on the pedaling

An electric version of the Yamaha FS1E anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The new legislation will designate e-scooters in the same way as electric bikes. Insurance will not be mandatory and they will not require tax or helmet use. their speed and power will be restricted in the same way as electric bikes. anything exceeding the legally set limits will be classified under separate designation and will require further roadworthy specifications such as registration, indicators, mirrors etc. like any other road worthy vehicle.

Most of the mainstream manufacturers already produce with the new standards in mind, so don't go for anything dodgy and you'll be fione.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mentioned in dail debates in the last week they'd legislate for high powered e bikes too, they'd be classed in L category same as mopeds and motorcycles and you'd need license, tax, insurance, helmet.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2022-05-31/154/?highlight%5B0%5D=scooters

Advertisement