Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disadvantages of 3 Bed Terraced vs. 3 Bed Semi-D?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

hmmm wrote: »
    Terraces strike me as having all the disadvantages of apartments and none of the advantages. The point of them I presume is slightly lower cost and meeting density requirements from planners.

It depends when they were built. We live in an old terrace, totally soundproof walls. The sound of someone running across the ceiling overhead (as in an apartment) would drive me batty.
    Have own front door and driveway, back door and garden, stairs, attic converted, no annual maintenance fees, no lift breaking down! Lots of advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I live in a mid-terrace home near the city centre (property circa. 1850s)

Pros:
    .Added sense of security: less potential entry points for break-ins
    .I assume the property is warmer as it is sandwiched between 2 properties

Cons:
    .No side garden for bins, but as I live near the city, we don't have wheely bins anyway and we use city-bags instead so this isn't much of an issue for me.

No kids, eldery neighbours so no noise. So far, so good!

hmmm wrote: »
    Terraces strike me as having all the disadvantages of apartments and none of the advantages. The point of them I presume is slightly lower cost and meeting density requirements from planners.

I can't think of a single advantage to an apartment, over a terrace? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I can't think of a single advantage to an apartment, over a terrace? :confused:
    No external maintenance, security, usually better views, lower heating bills.

I don't want to get into a one vs the other because it's off-topic, but every type of property has its pluses and minuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've seen a few mentions of security. I've genuinely never once had it as a consideration with any of my house moves. Well, maybe I'd avoid an area completely if it looked dodgy but never as regards the type of house.

Anyway, I grew up in a 1950s Dublin terrace. Good size and we never heard a peep from either side. As has been mentioned a few times, bikes, lawnmower etc had to be lifted through the house - I'm having flashbacks of the mother giving out as I type.

Its only been older semis since (actually was sale agreed on a terrace at one point but pulled out) and the convenience is a massive bonus. Garden cuttings, hoses e.g stuff I would never really thought about, all carried around the side.

I would stress that I prefer older houses for sound proof reasons. I have 2 friends with much newer semis in different parts of Kildare who have terrible issues with adjoined neighbour sound - they both mentioned they can hear when stuff is plugged/unplugged on the adjoining wall :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement