Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of quitting my job to do an apprenticeship. What are the ins and outs of doi

Options
  • 02-03-2021 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I was looking at a website (apprenticeshipjobs.ie) and while there isn't a huge selection, it looks relatively easy to sign up for one. Is there much work involved in signing up and do they tend to me worth it. There isn't anything suitable available right now so I won't be diving into the first thing I see. I've moved into a role in work I'm not happy with and I'd love to start fresh and get my hands dirty with a trade like an electrician

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you realise that the first step is to get a job with an employer who takes apprentices? You don't just get to sign up for the course and maybe get a job later.
    How to become an Apprentice
    - You must obtain employment as an apprentice in your chosen occupation.
    - The employer must be approved to train apprentices.
    - The employer must register you as an apprentice within two weeks of recruitment.

https://a.storyblok.com/f/83224/x/bf852a6f8f/electrical-v4-a4-brochure.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Do you realise that the first step is to get a job with an employer who takes apprentices? You don't just get to sign up for the course and maybe get a job later.

https://a.storyblok.com/f/83224/x/bf852a6f8f/electrical-v4-a4-brochure.pdf

Thanks for the link, I genuinely have no idea. I'm not happy where I am and I've just putting out some feelers to see what my options are

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Thanks for the link, I genuinely have no idea. I'm not happy where I am and I've just putting out some feelers to see what my options are

There are employers that offer apprenticeships themselves e.g. DePuy. Worth contacting them for more info.

Out of interest, is there something particular about an apprenticeship that you like the sound of? Have you considered 3rd level education (cert, diploma, degree?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

I'm a big supporter of people doing things they want to do and not staying in something because it's safe. I ended up hating what I went to college to do, so I left behind a well paying job and took a pay cut of €10,000.

However, apprenticeships are a big commitment. Have you ever done any sort of manual job? Are you any good with your hands? How's your maths? You okay with some aul lads taking the piss out of you and giving you the crap jobs for a year because it's the toxic culture they endured too? I love the idea of being an electrician, but I'm afraid of heights, terrible at math and hate manual labour. So.

Wages are the other issue. Sparks are one of the better paid rates, but might be hard to manage unless you're living at home rent free or own your own home with someone who can support you for at least the first two of the four years.

And of course, COVID. Possibly the worst possible time ever to take up a trade. Last in the door, first out. Plenty of apprentices now stuck without work and will end up spending longer than four years to get qualified.

dragx wrote: »
    I'm a big supporter of people doing things they want to do and not staying in something because it's safe. I ended up hating what I went to college to do, so I left behind a well paying job and took a pay cut of €10,000.

However, apprenticeships are a big commitment. Have you ever done any sort of manual job? Are you any good with your hands? How's your maths? You okay with some aul lads taking the piss out of you and giving you the crap jobs for a year because it's the toxic culture they endured too? I love the idea of being an electrician, but I'm afraid of heights, terrible at math and hate manual labour. So.

Wages are the other issue. Sparks are one of the better paid rates, but might be hard to manage unless you're living at home rent free or own your own home with someone who can support you for at least the first two of the four years.

And of course, COVID. Possibly the worst possible time ever to take up a trade. Last in the door, first out. Plenty of apprentices now stuck without work and will end up spending longer than four years to get qualified.

I really appreciate this comment, you're pointing out so many different aspects of a trade. And to be honest, other than covid I'm comfortable with all of this. I'm currently in a highly technical job where I was trained from day one. It's very labour intensive and it involves working indoors, outdoors, long days, short days and I could be working anywhere in the country at short notice. I enjoy all of that about my current job. I work with my hands constantly as it is and there is a lot of piss taking where I am now - I'm well able to give it and take it. I also work with heights a lot now, no issues there.

I am relatively well paid now but I have saved a lot of money, especially over the last year so u can afford to take a significant pay cut.

As I said, covid is the big issue I'm facing but I think it's more import at for me that I try something new, otherwise I'll always find an excuse not to move to a job I'd be happier with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

I really appreciate this comment, you're pointing out so many different aspects of a trade. And to be honest, other than covid I'm comfortable with all of this. I'm currently in a highly technical job where I was trained from day one. It's very labour intensive and it involves working indoors, outdoors, long days, short days and I could be working anywhere in the country at short notice. I enjoy all of that about my current job. I work with my hands constantly as it is and there is a lot of piss taking where I am now - I'm well able to give it and take it. I also work with heights a lot now, no issues there.

I am relatively well paid now but I have saved a lot of money, especially over the last year so u can afford to take a significant pay cut.

As I said, covid is the big issue I'm facing but I think it's more import at for me that I try something new, otherwise I'll always find an excuse not to move to a job I'd be happier with.

Well then mate it sounds like you have all the important bases covered! I thought you were moving from something like an office job but obviously you're already good with your hands and well able for the conditions. As I said I'm not cut out for a trade but I know plenty in them, including a lot of my family.

The part about working anywhere at short notice will stand to you in a huge way, I assume that means you have your own transport? Plenty of places want that as it's a pain having to send someone to pick up the apprentice at cockcrow.

JobsIreland.ie is the place you'll want to keep an eye on now, they regularly list apprenticeships, and sometimes the likes of Jobs.ie and Indeed.ie will have them too. The ESB are also currently recruiting. Stiff competition but I believe it's one of the best programmes you can get into!

Best of luck with it mate :)

dragx wrote: »
    Well then mate it sounds like you have all the important bases covered! I thought you were moving from something like an office job but obviously you're already good with your hands and well able for the conditions. As I said I'm not cut out for a trade but I know plenty in them, including a lot of my family.

The part about working anywhere at short notice will stand to you in a huge way, I assume that means you have your own transport? Plenty of places want that as it's a pain having to send someone to pick up the apprentice at cockcrow.

JobsIreland.ie is the place you'll want to keep an eye on now, they regularly list apprenticeships, and sometimes the likes of Jobs.ie and Indeed.ie will have them too. The ESB are also currently recruiting. Stiff competition but I believe it's one of the best programmes you can get into!

Best of luck with it mate :)

Yep, I applied for the ESB role yesterday. Been thinking of doing an electrical apprenticeship for a while and I saw the ad the other day so seemed like fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 billybull999

What job are ypu leaving? After 1.5 years, I'm thinking of quitting my apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭al2009

I'd also look at automation / instrumentation. It's worth contacting your local apprentice coordinator, and larger employers like STS or Jones engineering. Refrigeration are also crying out for decent apprentices, linkedin could be a good start as well. There is plenty of work, biggest issue is block release dates due to covid backlog, this could push the term out beyond 4 years in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Lads above, you do realise the original thread was posted in 2021.

• Advertisement
Advertisement