Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The truth about the Irish and the English

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I find I gravitate more towards the Scots or Welsh.

A lot of English people I meet are blindly ignorant. The amount of times I've heard "you know back in the UK" followed by something we should have in common. They appear stunned when I point out I'm not from the UK. The Scots or Welsh never make that mistake, despite being products of the same Education system.

I've met plenty of English people I liked, but even then they come out with some whoppers sometimes.

For some reason I don't understand I make a lot of friends from Latin America. I find people from Mexico, Chile, Bolivia and Argentina very easy to get along with.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

But that's just because Kurt from Klagenfurt is a prick.
    You take that back! Kurt is a gentleman :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Marcusm wrote: »
    The thing is that Jacob Rees Mogg is not actually that odd for an Englishman. There are so many of his type with the overly affected accent, trust me I worked with lots of them. Most would have a more limited pedigree than JRM.

He’s the kind of guy who gives English people a bad name. In general I’d agree that Irish and English people are culturally pretty close (mostly their culture that we’ve imported tbf (tv, music, sport etc.) British Govt or State is something else I feel, and I’d say most Irish view them with a healthy suspicion at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

vriesmays wrote: »
    The English are led by graduates of Oxford and Eaton; the Irish are led by schoolteachers.
    Unfortunate that your schoolteacher didn't tell you how to spell Eton.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

On my work trips to the North of England, namely Manchester and Birmingham there wasn’t a single person whom I encountered, of whatever background who I didn’t like and get on with... line employees, contractors, management....all sound as.... couldn’t do enough for me including the manager taking me and two others for dinner and beers.....similar experiences in other European locations and on the other hand two locations, one the East End of London, the other North London were the only locations where I was let’s just say not availed of much of a welcome whatsoever and colleagues who went from here also hated having to go..they reported the same...

I recall once checking in at reception at 8.50 having been told to be there for 9.00... it was 9.45 before anybody could be bothered coming down to sign me in... when 1.30 came and it was lunch... they disappeared, I had no clue about the lunch room, or anything, if I hadn’t brought lunch and a drink from the subway on my way in I was fûcked... they came here, brought to spar in our own cars, met for a pint after work, guess just culturally ‘different’.

I and others drove the same muppets to the spar, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I live in Canada and work for one of the banks here. Was at this big conference once and noticed one of the fellas at our table was an English lad. Once the first coffee break hit, everyone is milling around talking awkwardly or trying to network.
    I make a bee line for the English lad with one thought in my mind, a good chat about the footie. After exchanging a few pleasantries and the usual "hows the weather" chit chat, I throw in my opener. "So what football team do you support?"
    Yer man answers " I don't really watch football".
    My face dropped and I don't even think I registered what he said. I was like, "sorry, what??". He repeats it and I just go "oh, right", stare off in to the distance for a few seconds, then make my excuses and leave.
    Still haven't got over it.

could you not ask him something else like whats tv Shows do you like? peep show? the inbetweeners? do you like oasis or blur? we have loads in common with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ive met a few really great English people, though in the main the ones I've met are really shallow and very boring.

A photo of Sylvia from Stutgart would solve this quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pgj2015 wrote: »
    could you not ask him something else like whats tv Shows do you like? peep show? the inbetweeners? do you like oasis or blur? we have loads in common with them.

Is that what being English and Irish is to you? TV & Music.

To me that's only a part of culture but too many people nowadays thinks that's all that culture is.

I think Irish and English people definitely have different cultures. This relates to outlook on life, work ethics, attitude to class (for example look our different attitudes to Republicanism and Monarchy, attitude to other countries and also how they feel about their own country's place in the world.

Whilst Irish and English could share a joke and a pint I do find once you go deeper that our mindsets are very different and recent evidence of this can be seen with all the Brexit events over the last few years.

In my time I have never met any Irish person with the "Brexiteer" attitude to the world. I find Irish people enjoy foreign cultures and ideas. Meet an Irish person living abroad, they'll most likely speak the local language.

It's just a completely different outlook in my opinion.

murpho999 wrote: »

To me that's only a part of culture but too many people nowadays thinks that's all that culture is.

I think Irish and English people definitely have different cultures. This relates to outlook on life, work ethics, attitude to class (for example look our different attitudes to Republicanism and Monarchy, attitude to other countries and also how they feel about their own country's place in the world.

Whilst Irish and English could share a joke and a pint I do find once you go deeper that our mindsets are very different and recent evidence of this can be seen with all the Brexit events over the last few years.

In my time I have never met any Irish person with the "Brexiteer" attitude to the world. I find Irish people enjoy foreign cultures and ideas. Meet an Irish person living abroad, they'll most likely speak the local language.

I reckon this is a manifestation of class/your social circle?
    Brexit arguably being a working class driven issue, V 'Remainers' being the liberal, educated elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I agree although English and Irish people share some cultural similarities, I can't help but overlook how much anti-Irish prejudice still exists in the UK. Not as much as there once was, but its still there if you scratch the surface.

90%+ of all anti-Irish content I find online comes from one country (and a disproportionate amount of that from Scotland). Anytime I'm posting in US/Canada or Australian forums I don't see anywhere near the same amount of anti-Irish bile. American/Canadian conservatives don't dislike the Irish, a lot of British right wingers do.

I also find the Irish diaspora are better integrated in US/Canada/Australia/NZ. A lot of 2nd generation Irish in England, particularly in Scotland still identify as Irish only or just don't feel in anyway at all British.

I reckon this is a manifestation of class/your social circle?
    Brexit arguably being a working class driven issue, V 'Remainers' being the liberal, educated elite.

Don't see what my class is as I'm Irish nor do I have an English social circle.

My point about Brexit was also completely separate to class.

The point was that it's different to Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Went over to England 2 years ago to Gloucester v Munster in the Heineken Cup. English guy next to me was chatty and I mentioned it was my first time in Gloucester and Kingholm was on my bucket list of rugby stadiums to visit, he likewise always wanted to go to Thomond Park...
    Me: so why don't you go?
    Him : aaahh it's kinda....
    ME : Limericks not a million miles away just a short flight...
    Him: ya but...
    Me: you'll have a great night out in limerick as well!
    Him : look I'm ex military don't think it would be a good idea...
    Me: who's gonna know? Go you'll be fine...
    it has stuck with me what he said that night the notion that Southern Ireland is a no go for him.

E mac wrote: »
    Went over to England 2 years ago to Gloucester v Munster in the Heineken Cup. English guy next to me was chatty and I mentioned it was my first time in Gloucester and Kingholm was on my bucket list of rugby stadiums to visit, he likewise always wanted to go to Thomond Park...
    Me: so why don't you go?
    Him : aaahh it's kinda....
    ME : Limericks not a million miles away just a short flight...
    Him: ya but...
    Me: you'll have a great night out in limerick as well!
    Him : look I'm ex military don't think it would be a good idea...
    Me: who's gonna know? Go you'll be fine...
    it has stuck with me what he said that night the notion that Southern Ireland is a no go for him.

Is Limerick Southern Ireland, like Cork & Kerry?

Would he be safe in Eastern & Western Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Is Limerick Southern Ireland, like Cork & Kerry?

Would he be safe in Eastern & Western Ireland?

I'm meant in the context of the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I have a couple of English friends that are good people and we have loads in common, but you have to make some allowances and try not to get annoyed when they are completely clueless about Ireland.

When I first met my English housemate here in Ireland, he had just moved over, and asked me why the local shop didn't accept pounds.

They often repeat what I say in a terrible Irish accent too, the joke never seems to get old. I saw James Haskell do this to Sean O Brien on a podcast recently, seemingly after an entire career of mixing with Irish players the joke is still funny. But overall, we have the same sense of humour and interests.

Having said that, when I was in France for the Euros the English fans were unbearable, I lost count of how many times a slur was shouted at me when wearing my Ireland jersey. The French hated them.

England is the bigger country and therefore is under no obligation to learn our history nor care about it and why should they.

Australia doesn't care about NZ either but NZ has lots of opinions on them.

It's a weakness on our part

The history is shared. And it’s not like they know much about India either.

That said i do like most English people.

E mac wrote: »
    I'm meant in the context of the Republic of Ireland.

Well that's not Southern Ireland in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

In my job my team is based throughout Europe and I have to agree with a lot of the posters here regards having more in common with my English colleagues versus the Dutch and German guys I work with, the English guys are generally very light hearted and easily approachable. If I was to choose a group to have a pint with it would be the English as the craic would be good, I find you have to give allowances for their slagging as its a big part of their humour.
    My one bugbear with them is that they can be unprofessional at times when there is a need for it, this is where I appreciate the Dutch and Germans more as you know they are taking the situation seriously instead off looking for a quip.

I have to say though, reading the comment section of the daily mail these days is pretty depressing. Lots of anti Irish bile on there now.

• Advertisement

I have to say though, reading the comment section of the daily mail these days is pretty depressing. Lots of anti Irish bile on there now.

Yeh. I don’t know if it was always there or not. Of course there is anti every other country in the EU bile as well.

Love only for the US and Israel.

I think Irish people are socially open. Not just for english, but when I go to a convention in Germany or Switzerland or wherever, the Irish get well with everyone, but the englinsh get to the Irish because they speak English. Most Europe is not big fans of English ��

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I disagree completely look a bit deeper and there is a massive overlap between the Irish and the English.
    Language, sport, tv, culture, jurisprudence, civil service structure, architecture, comedy.

Take your average working class English person and your average working class Irish person and they are one and the same. They read the same tabloids and watch the same soaps and sports. Also there is the massive overlap between those in England who claim Irish heritage Oasis, The Beatles and the like.

The slight difference is that many Irish working class (especially in Dublin) delude themselves into pretending they are republican UI types. When the reality is many have not spoken a word of Irish since school at best. They try and make themselves sound more Irish than they really are, Going on about a UI etc it has zero effect in their day to day lives.

Ask a German, Spaniard or French person to tell the difference between an average Irish person and English person. They would struggle to:
    A) See any difference - drinking culture etc pubs SKY SPORTS
    B) Be able to tell you any difference.

As for your point on Brexit the UK was only ever lukewarm on the EU at best and really only joined when those in favour mobilised at the right time. Ireland only joined the EU after the UK. That is how tied to the UK Ireland is and was.

Plus where do Irish people go to get work if it is not in the USA or Australia? First port of call they go to England and have done for decades.

Where do musicians and entertainers, sports people go to make it big? England,
    Plus words in the Irish language have been borrowed from English. And reinvented and Gaelicised. Such as 'Craic' which was invented in the 1950's 1960's. Yep, craic is an invention a fabricated 'Irish' word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craic

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/is-craic-a-fake-irish-word

A lot of Irish people's view of modern Irishness was only invented in the 19th century. 'Irishness' which is now is just a myth built increasingly on sand, in my opinion.

The overlap between what is Irish/English and who is Irish or English, runs deeper than people care to admit. What's the craic with that?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

England is the bigger country and therefore is under no obligation to learn our history nor care about it and why should they.

Australia doesn't care about NZ either but NZ has lots of opinions on them.

It's a weakness on our part

Education should not be based on obligation. Our history is their history in no small part.

I disagree completely look a bit deeper and there is a massive overlap between the Irish and the English.
    Language, sport, tv, culture, jurisprudence, civil service structure, architecture.

Take your average working class English person and your average working class Irish person and they are one and the same. They read the same tabloids and watch the same soaps and sports. Also there is the massive overlap between those in England who claim Irish heritage Oasis, The Beatles and the like.

The slight difference is that many Irish working class (especially in Dublin) delude themselves into pretending they are republican UI types. When the reality is many have not spoken a word of Irish since school at best. They try and make themselves sound more Irish than they really are, Going on about a UI etc it has zero effect in their day to day lives.

Ask a German, Spaniard or French person to tell the difference between an average Irish person and English person. They would struggle to:

As for your point on Brexit the UK was only ever lukewarm on the EU at best and really only joined when those in favour mobilised at the right time. Ireland only joined the EU after the UK. That is how tied to the UK Ireland is and was.

Plus where do Irish people go to get work if it is not in the USA or Australia. They go to England and have done for decades.
    Where do musicians and entertainers, sports people go to make it big? England,
    Plus words in the Irish language have been borrowed from English. And reinvented and Gaelicised. Such as 'Craic' which was invented in the 1960's. Yep, craic is an invention a fabricated 'Irish' word.

A lot of Irish people's view of modern Irishness was only invented in the 19th century. 'Irishness' which is now is just a myth built increasingly on sand, in my opinion.

The overlap between what is Irish/English and who is Irish or English, runs deeper than people care to admit.

One similarity is that their right wingers are pro British and our right wingers are pro British.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I work in an international environment at the moment and I agree with on some level but not on others. You seem to be conflating rudeness among "Eurofolk" (whatever that means, an Estonian is about as different from a Portuguese person as an Irish person might be) with the very important fact that they are almost always speaking in their second language (assuming you are speaking English) and so may not feel as comfortable talking openly to you as an English person would. I imagine you would probably find it similarly difficult to be as open, friendly and laid-back if the main working language was French or German.

But it is true that there are different values and attitudes when it comes to personal interaction. British and Irish people by and large are incredibly indirect communicators and often use sarcasm etc to avoid saying something that they feel might be rude. Many Northern Europeans however are much more direct and blunt - that's not down to rudeness, it just reflects the fact that they value honesty more than what they see as insincere politeness. In Southern Europe, it's a bit of a mix - French people are very blunt, but Greeks for example are much more like us in my opinion, quite indirect.

Once the language barrier is out of the way though it really doesn't matter, and it more often than not boils down to individuals - people can be interesting and friendly regardless of their nationality. In my own experience, I tend to think we gel well with Southern Europeans actually, Spaniards, Portuguese and Italians. I guess they're quite like us in the fact that they're very personally intimate and extroverted. But again, we are very Anglicised and we have that familiarity with the UK, so it's easy to find more things to chat about with Brits on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

BBC comments section is just as bad. As is any pro brexit account on twitter.

As I say, for all the faults of the USA, which there are many, I still consider them a better friend and ally for Ireland than I do the UK.

From what I observe there's a huge difference from what the average American/Canadian writes online about Irish people and what the average English person writes. I post on the City-Data forums for example (huge big American forum), there is a UK section but I rarely post in it because so much anti Irish bile is written in there, full of brexiteers, ulster loyalists, bigots etc. Don't find it anywhere else on the forum.

A lot of the racist stereotypes and caricatures of Irish people although written over a century ago still exist in minds subconsciously of some British people. I.e. backward/lesser/poor/unintelligent/drunk/"white n*ggers". Aussies have reputation for being direct and blunt but even I don't think they think of Irish people in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

This is a silly thread. The UK is our closest neighbour...

The continent may as well be Antarctica to us

Language, sport, tv, culture, jurisprudence, civil service structure, architecture, comedy.

I never said there was no similarities or overlap but that we are different.
    We still have our own culture of language, sport, music, TV etc that is totally Irish.
    Other stuff like architecture and jurisprudence is an outcome of hundreds of years of colonialism.

Massive and inaccurate generalisations there but I simply refuse to accept that a person's culture, identity and outlook on life is formed by what tabloid they read or soap they watch especially as so many people do neither. I woudn't really associate Oasis or The Beatles with Ireland, they're very much British.

More inaccurate generalisations that's really not worth arguing about

Why is that? It's down to language. They're not native English speakers and would not immediately know the difference.
    However, I've had it loads of times in Europe that attitude changes when they find out you're Irish and not English.
    Look at how Irish football fans were received by locals and police in Poland an France for Euro 12 & 16 and compare that to the trouble with English fans. Completely different mindsets.

Also people who have travelled here would know the difference.

I also fail to see how Sky Sports, a very recent phenomenon, defines culture.

Wrong again. Ireland joined on the very same day as the UK along with Denmark on 01/01/73 and it's brought about massive changes. Ireland let go of the shirt tails of Britain and forged its own path with an open and enthusiastic view of Europe and the world whilst the UK could not accept its lesser European position and missed its more influential past position and ultimately gone the path of Brexit.
    For me Brexit is a massive event that really highlights the different mentalities of Britain and Ireland.
    Plus where do Irish people go to get work if it is not in the USA or Australia? First port of call they go to England and have done for decades.

Where do musicians and entertainers, sports people go to make it big? England

Seriously. That's a result of language, geography and access. Still does not make us the same.
    If not UK why is it USA or Australia? Anything to do with the language? Plenty of Irish in Europe too you'll find.
    Plus words in the Irish language have been borrowed from English. And reinvented and Gaelicised. Such as 'Craic' which was invented in the 1950's 1960's. Yep, craic is an invention a fabricated 'Irish' word.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/is-craic-a-fake-irish-word

So what? Landscape comes from Dutch. People say cojones, schadenfreude etc.

Irishness very much exists and has done for a long time. Why do you think that Ireland never fully accepted British rule and became one of the first colonies to gain independence?
    There's always been a different attitude here and we've had our own culture, based on more than newspapers and soaps for centuries.

Why are we independent? Why are we in the EU? Why do we have the EURO?
    Why are we not members of the commonwealth?

The overlap between what is Irish/English and who is Irish or English, runs deeper than people care to admit. What's the craic with that?

As I've said, there are similarities but there also stark differences too. Bound to be similarities as we're neighbours that was also colonised for hundreds of years. But to see that Irishness is a fallacy or that we were more alike than different is totally wrong in my opinion.

• Advertisement

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    This is a silly thread. The UK is our closest neighbour...

The continent may as well be Antarctica to us

But it isn't though is it?

Plenty of Irish people living, working and holidaying on the continent. It's well known to us unlike Antarctica.

Advertisement