Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware wallet

Options
  • 01-03-2021 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone I have some coins in a wallet on binance I want to transfer them to a hardware wallet or if someone can tell me another way to secure store them

Question I have is if you lose hardware wallet they say you can get new one and re-enter your seed phrase and the coins will be restored but where are they restored from are they stored some where else waiting to be restored and is that secure or how does it work

Thx XL 500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

xl500 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I have some coins in a wallet on binance I want to transfer them to a hardware wallet or if someone can tell me another way to secure store them

Question I have is if you lose hardware wallet they say you can get new one and re-enter your seed phrase and the coins will be restored but where are they restored from are they stored some where else waiting to be restored and is that secure or how does it work

Thx XL 500

When you re-input your seed phrase all you are doing is regenerating your private keys to allow you to access your coins and tokens on whatever blockchain you happen to be using. They've never been anywhere else but on the blockchain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

You do not store your coins in the hardware wallet. The hardware wallet is just your private key in physical form. You can make any hardware wallet yours by inputting your 24 key mnemonic which generates the private key in your hardware wallet. Your coins are in the blockchain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

xl500 wrote: »

Thx XL 500

Ledger or Tresor hardware wallets are available:

https://www.ledger.com/bitcoin-wallet/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

Also helpful is this podcast by Peter McCormack on hardware wallets:

https://www.whatbitcoindid.com/podcast/bitcoin-tech-3-wallets

I think that everyone with interest in crypto should listen to this considering it is so important for all HODL ers out there :-)

Advertisement