Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What can I plant on the back wall to gain privacy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Have you considered a narrow flowering cherry?

https://clarenbridgegardencentre.ie/online-garden-shop/trees-l-z-page-2/prunus-amanogawa/

RHS says its mature height is 8m.

Prunus%2Bserrulata%2BAmanogawa.jpg

I think the birch I mentioned above, the mature height is 12m.

The only thing is of course, you might be waiting a long time for it to get to the height you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the same way the Cordyline on the left is doing an excellent job of screening the windows of that house, a single tree - I'd go for Silver Birch, but I am a Silver Birch enthusiast! - would screen you very nicely from the windows opposite without creating a solid mass of shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

Weird that label that says Red Robin would only grow to one metre in 5 years. In my experience it will be at 3 metres minimum by then. More like four I'd expect. That's if you don't trim it of course.

The tricky part in answering your question is that very fast growing, vigorous plants are by their nature going to be difficult to control. e.g. bamboo or leylandii.

If you are looking for a quick solution to add privacy without waiting 5+ years, I would do as someone else suggested and buy wooden panels in woodies and fix them on top of your wall. Then grow your trees/bushes of choice up against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions and Ive followed a few of them and decided Ill post some photos here as I go along with the project.

Ive cut down the hedge at the side of the garden and Im going to make borders there and at the back with sleepers.

I cut down all the brambles from the lane way at the back. Then got in touch the neighbour and he said I could have the land, he didn't want it. So Ive now knocked down a gap in the wall and Ill build a gate. Im going to attach cladding to the side and back walls and trellis on top.

Ive also bought some fruit trees that I saw in lidl last Friday.

Heres some pics of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Wall knocked and brambles cleared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

That's really cool you're making progress. Those brambles were epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

iba wrote: »
    Was in Woodies earlier and they had some of the Robin but according to the text on the description, the only grow to 1 metre high. Do you think the text is accurate?

My neighbours planted a hedge that size about 6/7 years ago and it's now about 8' so wouldn't believe the 1 metre.

Advertisement