Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keep on Moving

• 28-02-2021 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

This is my second attempt at a training log, I was so bad at keeping the last one updated for DCM 19 and I regret it now!
    I’ve been running consistently for the last 4 years.
    At the end of 2019, I said I was done with long distances and my plan for 2020 was to concentrate on improving my HM time! That went completely out the window with covid and I ended up running 2 ultras and a virtual marathon!
    Then last November I had my first running stopping injury. I’m still not sure what happened, I was doing any easy run and a mile in my foot went, I hobbled home and had to rest for the next 6 weeks.
    For the last few years I’ve followed the boards grad plan and after 6 weeks of no running I had no motivation to start training again. With a couple of stop starts and encouragement from some of my running girlies I decided to start one of the Garmin plans. So I’m now 6 weeks into a 14 week plan with Greg McMillan to gradually build up my mileage and speed again.
    My goals for this year is to improve my HM time and hopefully run an official race!

My current PBs are
    5k: 23:13 (Dec 2019)
    10k: 47:39 (Oct 2019)
    10m: 1:22:04 (Aug 2018)
    HM: 1:44:46 (March 2019)
    Marathon: 3:50:00 (Oct 2019)
    50k: 4:51:54 (Feb 2020)

Mon 22nd
    50min easy

Tues 23rd
    50min easy

Weds 24th
    Progression run
    5min wu, 30min easy,
    10 min 7:33-7:53
    5min cd

Thurs 25th
    Rest

Fri 26th
    2hr long run, easy

Sat 27th
    60min easy

Sun 28th
    Rest

I messed up my plan a bit this week, I had been manually changing my Saturday long run to a Friday but I officially changed it on the Garmin app mid week so it automatically updated my plan and changed one of my sessions to an easy run. So I only ran one session and 4 easy run. Other than that all good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Runningirl

1st March - 6th March
    Mon 5 miles tempo
    15min easy,
    15min @ 8min/mi (goal pace 7:53-8:13)
    15min easy

Tue 6.2miles easy
    60min

Weds 3.26miles Stride repeats
    10min wu
    10x20sec strides, 45sec rec
    10min cd

Thurs
    Rest

Fri 4 miles easy
    45 min

Sat 10 miles progression
    5min wu, 70 min easy,
    10min @ 8:24min/mi (goal 8:23-43) 5min @ 7:44 (goal 7:33-53)
    5min cd

Total weeks miles 29miles

Loved this week, it was nice to do a bit of speed on Monday and at the end of my long run in Saturday. I can feel I’m getting a bit stronger and my fitness is coming back!

8th-13th March

Mon 8th
    45min easy

Tues 9th
    60min goal pace
    15 easy
    30min @ 8:23 (goal 8:23-8:43)

Wednesday 10th
    45min easy

Thurs 11th
    Rest

Fri 12th
    50min pace
    15min wu
    20min @ 8:22 (goal 8:23-8:43)
    15min cd

Sat 13th
    40min easy

I was a bit nervous about the goal pace runs this week because it was probably last Aug/Sept since I’ve run anything close to that pace but they ended up being completely fine.
    I really enjoyed the week but I was thinking it was a bit odd I didn’t have a long run since my Garmin plan is a HM plan. On Saturday the app gave me all the runs for the next week and it’s basically a repeat of this week with no long run again!
    With the help of Kellygirl we found out there’s a glitch in Garmin coach and basically my plan is stuck and I’m not able to unfreeze it! So there’s no point in me continuing :(
    I’m not sure what to do next, I’m thinking maybe the Grads HM plan again....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Can you restart the Garmin Coach plans? Sounds like it might be a calendar syncing issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah the penny just dropped... welcome back :D

15-20th March

Mon
    60mins easy, 6.2miles

Tues
    8x1min hills, 2min rec, 6.2miles

Wednesday
    60min easy 6.6miles

Thurs
    Rest

Fri
    1hr45 long run, 10.5miles

Sat
    60min easy, 6.6miles

Total: 36 miles

Week 1 of the grads HM plan!
    It was a bit of a disaster especially Tuesdays hills. I was actually looking forward to them but holy fook they were a shock to the system. Apart from my reps being all over the place pace wise, the hill I’ve used before for these was busy with walkers and I was so conscious of breathing all over people or running up behind people that it was uncomfortable.
    I also changed my long run to Friday instead of Saturday so I missed the 25min tempo I was suppose to do, I just did a 60min easy run on Saturday instead.
    I think I’m going to erase this week and start the plan afresh on Monday.
    One good thing for the week was I ran my highest mileage week since October with no ill effects on my foot!

• Advertisement

Can you restart the Garmin Coach plans? Sounds like it might be a calendar syncing issue?

I’ve given up on it! I tried pausing it and left it a couple of days and then restarted it but it still seems stuck with the same workouts and no long run. I think it’s an ongoing issue with the plans which they’re working on fixing and apparently I didn’t help the matter by switching some of my runs around!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah the penny just dropped... welcome back :D

Thanks you :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I hear you on the passing pedestrians thing. Some runners are good at ignoring the issues around passing closely but It m not one of them - I do it, but don’t feel comfortable about it.

My solution has been to find quieter routes, but that’s not always possible for everyone.

Good to see you back at it. Donadea 2022? :)

Murph_D wrote: »

Good to see you back at it. Donadea 2022? :)

I’ve absolutely no want to do Donadea again! I still haven’t recovered from going through the finish line 10 times!
    (I’ll never say never though:pac:!!)

22th- 27th March

Mon 22nd
    3x2000m @ 10k 400m rec
    6.49miles
    I really enjoyed this session. I set this up using my 10k pb from Oct 19 as a guide so the pace range was 7:35-45. In hindsight it was probably a bit too fast for me and my pace did slow in the last minute or 2 but it felt good to get a bit of speed in my legs. I walked the recoveries. My pace averaged out as 7:46, 7:41, 7:48

Tues 23rd
    7m steady @ avg 9:43
    No comment on this run! Wasn’t feeling it at all!

Wednesday 24th
    Rest
    I was suppose to have 6x 1:45min hills but I’d had family commitments which was kind of a blessing in disguise!! My legs were tired from the previous 2 days and my calves were a bit sore so the rest day was perfect!

Thurs 25th
    25min @ tempo, 15min wu & cd 6.47miles
    This run was good although my legs were still tired from the session on Monday. I set the pace for 8:23-8:33 and I averaged at 8:31 which was ok.

Fri 26th
    14m easy @ 10min/miles
    I didn’t know how I’d fare on this run! It was my longest run since October. I enjoyed it though, despite the mad hail showers and crazy winds in the later miles! I’d company for the first 8 miles which was great. The first couple of miles were maybe a little fast and the forest trails also messed up my pace a bit which is always annoying but I felt my effort was consistent throughout and I got the equivalent of a microdermabrasion treatment from the hailstones which was a bonus

Sat 27th
    Rest

Total: 34miles

New week, new plan!!
    I was all set to start the grads plan last Monday and at the last minute I decided to start something different which was recommended to me.
    I was really excited about it and did the first session, then as the week went on I thought oh crap what have I got myself into! I started to doubt I was able for it. It’s definitely the toughest plan I’ve ever done and I went through a complete meltdown from I love running to I hate running to I’m never running again!! Anyway I’m over that and I love running again and I’m looking forward to the next 7 weeks. I was going to use paces from my previous pbs in 2019 but realistically I’m not able for them just yet so I’ve decided reduced my paces a bit so hopefully that will work for me. I’m also going to start my week on a Sunday and continue having my long run on a Friday for the next few weeks, although I do like my takeaway and wine on a Saturday night so I’ll see how it goes!

• Advertisement

28th-3rd April

Week 2
    Sun 28th

6x1000m@5k/CV 400m rec
    8miles

I planned to get up early for this but it didn’t work out so set out at lunch time and decided to stay along the path beside the main road to avoid the walkers. It was another windy day but really warm. I set the pace up for 7:36-7:46 and I averaged 7:35, 7:40, 7:39, 8:01, 7:34, 7:34.
    I dropped pace on the 4th rep but it was uphill and into the wind so overall it wasn’t too bad. I walked/jogged the recoveries. Overall I was pretty happy with this run

Mon 29th
    5m steady @ 9:37
    I loved this run, I got out early and although it was still windy it was a nice comfortable run.

Tues 30th
    30min @ HM, 7miles
    Avg 8:15
    I set the pace up on my watch for 8:01-8:21 and it didn’t quite work out, I was too slow in the first half, I just couldn’t get going but I finally settled into it for the last 15mins so my average pace looks perfect but overall my run wasn’t. I also picked a really bad route so I’d to cross a few roads and even had to stop at traffic lights so it was far from a good run!
    My laps were 8:29, 8:26, 7:59, 7:58

Weds 31st
    Rest

Thurs 1st
    2x10min @ tempo, 7miles

This run was much better and I really enjoyed it. I redeemed myself from Wednesday’s pace fail! I set this up for 8:20-8:33 and I averaged at 8:21 for both reps so I was very happy with that

Fri 2nd
    12m easy
    Nothing to report on this, it was a lovely run and a nice end to the week.

Total: 38.5miles

This was a good week, apart from Wednesday’s blip. Pacing is really an area I need to work on. My average pace always works out but I want to get better at keeping my rep pace even, I’m going to try and work on that over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi ,

Nice weekly mileage ! I’m looking forward to following your log . Is the plan your following a half marathon one - the format ( 3 sessions a week ) seems unusual ?

Hi, thanks :)
    yes it’s an 8 week half marathon plan. I know I was a bit apprehensive about the 3 sessions too! Any plan I’ve followed before has been 2 hard days and 3 easy but it was recommended to me by someone I trust and knows my running background so I thought I’d step out of my comfort zone and give it a go! Hopefully it works out for me :)

4th-9th April

Week 2
    Sun 4th

4x1600m @10k/thres (7:46-56)400m jog/walk rec
    7:51, 7:51, 7:49, 7:48
    8.60miles

I was really happy with this run. I found the perfect road to run it on, I was up early so there was no one on the roads and the sun was shining! I didn’t know if these Sunday runs would suit me but they’re probably my favourite of the week!
    I was finally able to keep my splits fairly even so it was a good start to the week. The rest of the day was spent eating Easter eggs and birthday cake! :)

Mon 5th
    7miles steady @ 9:31
    Another gorgeous morning, really cold though. I really enjoyed this run!

Tues 6th
    6x2min hills, 2.30min rec @ 10k/thres (7:46-7:56)
    4% gradient 8:00,7:49,7:48,7:55, 7:47, 7:49
    7miles

When I was setting up this run I was nervous about it, it was 2min up and 2.30min down so it was a continuous up down with no real recovery. I spent ages trying to find a hill near me that was a 4% gradient (I think I calculated it right!) My splits weren’t perfect but I was happy enough with them. Overall I enjoyed the run and in hindsight there was no need to be nervous about it!

Weds 7th
    Rest

Thurs 8th
    25mins @ tempo (8:21-33)
    Avg 8:17
    6 miles

This run was all over the pace. I averaged at 8:17min/mile and when I was running every time I looked at my watch I was around 8:20 so I thought I was nailing it but when I got home and looked at my laps they were all over the place. Very annoying! :(

Fri 7th
    14 miles easy

Great run, had company for 12miles. I was definitely feeling the effect of the weeks mileage towards to end but I was still comfortable in the last few miles

Total: 42.9miles

This was a heavy week, I wasn’t sure how I’d go but I surprised myself! All my sessions were pretty good and I’m starting to realise maybe I haven’t lost as much fitness as I thought I had!!
    Next week is a very welcomed step back week and we can finally leave our 5k.... woohoo :D

11th-17th April

Week 4
    Sun 11th
    6x800@3k (7:07-7:16)
    7:31, 7:21, 7:26, 7:29, 7:27, 7:27

Wishful thinking!!!! When I was setting this up I was thinking I’ve never raced a mile but my faster mile is 7:17 and that was downhill! So how the hell am I going to run an average pace of 7:10!! I was right! I couldn’t! So after the first rep I decided to go by effort.. my watch was beeping all over the place but I just ignored it and tried to keep good form and run!
    My splits were slow but still alright and I was happy they were faster than my 5k pace so I wasn’t delighted with the run but not overly disappointed either!

Mon 12th
    Rest

Tues 13th
    6 miles steady

First run on the hills this year and I loved every second..... it was tough going and I’m not as fit as I was when I was training for Maurice Mullins but overall it was a good run. Had tea and scones at the car afterwards, weather was fab and it was a perfect way to spend the morning

Weds 14th
    Rest

Thurs 15th
    2x10mins @ tempo (8:21-8:33)
    This was a grand run. I tried to keep my pace as even as possible and my average split pace was 8:23 and 8:25

Fri 16th
    10 miles easy
    This run was grand, my legs were a little tired but overall I enjoyed it

Total: 32.8 miles

This was a nice recovery week. I was expecting my runs to feel really easy but I was tired all week... in hindsight the hill run on Tuesday probably impacted my recovery time but I’m still glad I did it! I think I’m the future I might do my long runs on the hills and go by time instead of distance

18th- 24th April

Week 5
    Sun 18th
    4x1600m @ 10k/thres, 9miles
    This run was definitely harder than the last time I did it! I managed to just keep the reps in range 7:48, 7:47, 7:49, 7:49 but it was a struggle!

Mon 19th
    7m steady
    Got my legs out for the first time this year and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!! Lovely morning and lovely run in the park :)

Tues 20th
    12x30sec tempo hill, 5.6miles
    This was only a 12min session but it was tough! 30sec uphill 35sec downhill with no recovery. The hardest part was probably the turn around on the way down to run back up the hill. Because the reps were so short I ran by effort, it was tough going but I really enjoyed it

Weds 21st
    Rest

Thurs 22nd
    25m @ tempo (8:21-8:33) 6miles
    Ran this a little too fast, avg 8:13. I kept having to pull back, I’ve no self control whatsoever... I had a close encounter with a dog too so that helped speed me up!

Fri 23rd
    14 miles easy
    Another gorgeous morning. My legs were tired from the week but I really enjoyed the run

Sat 24th
    4miles easy
    I decided not to do this run for no reason in particular just thought I’d deserved a rest day :)

Total: 41.6miles

Overall this was a good week for me. Sunday’s run was the hardest but I feel I’m getting stronger as the weeks go by

Week 6
    25th-30th April

Sun 25th
    6x800m @ CV
    7:37,45,35,33,36
    I went to the park for this, it was much nicer than running along the road which I’d been doing for my previous Sunday sessions. The weather was lovely and there wasn’t many people about.

Mon 26th
    5m steady avg 9:34

Tues 27th
    30mins @ HM avg 7:57
    This was probably my favourite run of the week and it felt a lot easier than when I attempted it in week 2.

Wed 28th
    Rest

Thurs 29th
    7.5mile hill run
    On my plan I had 2x10min tempo but I decided to go up to the hills instead. The weather turned bad in the last mile or 2 but it was still a lovely run!

Fri 30th
    13miles easy
    To quote Wubble Wubble “Kids to school, home, run half marathon distance...simple as that” :D:D

41miles

I loved this week of running, it was tough and I was pretty tired but I loved it all the same. The only downside was my foot started to niggle just a little bit again. I had stopped strapping it up about 2 weeks ago but I’ve started again and hopefully it will behave

Week 7
    2nd-7th May

Sun 2nd
    5x1200m @ threshold (7:46-54)
    7:53,49,49,42,53
    I messed up by setting this run up wrong on my watch. Instead of putting .4km recovery I stupidly put .4m so after my first rep it went straight into the second. Luckily I had my phone with me so I could change it. Anyway it was a good run and I really enjoyed it (apart from a fellow runner hawking up behind me and then doing a big snot blow as he passed:mad:)

Mon 3rd
    7miles steady @ 9:19
    The wind and rain during this run was mad but it got madder as the day went on so I’m glad I went out when I did.

Tues 4th
    12x30sec tempo hills, 35sec rec
    Short but tough session

Wed 5th
    Rest

Thurs 6th
    25min tempo, avg 8:25, 6miles

Fri 7th
    12miles easy @ 9:26
    I usually have company for my long runs and end up being all over the place with my pace, every time we get excited about what we’re talking about we speed up :pac:

Total: 39miles

I’m on the last week if my plan now. If I’m completely honest I really didn’t think I’d be able for it when I started but I’m so glad I did it now, it’s really given me a confidence boost in my running and has brought my fitness back up to where it was before I got injured at the end of last year. I can safely say I love running again!!
    I was hmming and hawing about what to do at the end of the plan, I’d love to have a real race to do. The thought of a solo HM had crossed my mind but I don’t know if I’d be able for it on my own. In hindsight I probably should of done the equivalent 5k plan and TT at the end. The more I think about it I might just continue on to a 5k plan next week. At least I’ve a few days to decide anyway.

Well done on finishing out the plan - you sound like you are in a good place .

We may see some real races over the summer fingers crossed .

A solo half does sound hard but in the right frame of mind you might enjoy it. A 5k TT is always handy mind - the pain ends quickly and it gives you something to build on .

I was contemplating doing the race distances that might be in soft pb territory for me . For instance the ten miler - shorter than a half but you could really fly it after your training cycle .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you love your running again, sure isn't that what it's all about:)

Best of luck with whatever plan you decide to do next. Hopefully it won't be too long before we are running real races.

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »

A solo half does sound hard but in the right frame of mind you might enjoy it. A 5k TT is always handy mind - the pain ends quickly and it gives you something to build on .

I was just thinking on my run today that I might try a 5K TT this weekend, I'll see how I go but if anything it will give me an idea of where I'm at and as you say something to build on and I think I should (hopefully) be able to shave a little bit off my PB!

Great to see you love your running again, sure isn't that what it's all about:)

Best of luck with whatever plan you decide to do next. Hopefully it won't be too long before we are running real races.

Fingers crossed we'll be able to sign up for some soon

Sunday 9th
    6mile hill run
    Nice run up Tibradden and Cruagh.

Monday 10th
    Rest

Tuesday 11th
    6x600m @ CV (7:25-7:35)
    7:29, 7:29, 7:20, 7:22, 7:29, 7:20, 7:22.
    I messed this up on my watch again, the second week I set the recoveries up in metres instead of km so I had to stop after the first rep too fix it. Other than that it was a good run

Wednesday 12th
    Rest

Thursday 13th
    5miles with strides

Friday 14th
    8miles easy

Saturday 15th
    5k time trial
    I was thinking about doing this all week but hadn’t completely made up my mind, then on Saturday afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and just do it!
    I drove to my local park after a huge rain shower which was perfect because I was one of the only people there.
    I knew about 2 loops would get me 5k and if I started in one corner of the park I’d only have to run up a draggy hill once!
    The first mile was perfect, it nearly felt easy, I had planned not to look at my watch and just run but I couldn’t resist when the first mile beeped... 7:14!!! I couldn’t believe it!
    Mile 2 was tougher, the “hill” was half way through this mile and my pace did slow, I could feel my legs were tired and when I got back to the corner I started at I glanced at my watch again and my pace was 8mins, mentally I lost it, I stopped briefly twice and walked.. disaster... I had to give myself a good talking to and I got going again. I tried to imagine how disappointed I’d be if I’d didn’t finish it out. Mile 2 beeped at 7:35.. ugh!
    Mile 3.1 I just tried to stay relaxed and just run, I managed to up the pace and I finished at 22:50
    It’s a pb by 25seconds, ok but not great since my last pb was pretty soft.

I’d mixed feelings about this, I didn’t run it right. I was glad I got a pb but I was really disappointed I stopped in 2nd mile. I don’t have a lot of experience racing 5ks, I was always afraid of them but I do think I could do better in a proper race so that’s my goal for the summer... did I really just say that!!.....

Sunday 16th
    8mile hill run
    This run was perfect, I loved every second of it

Total: 39miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I totally get what you mean about not being happy with how it went! 5ks are a tough distance to get right imo, I have struggled with it at different times, going out too hard, holding on for dear life, wanting to stop...I think it's all part of the process but I do believe in a race you would dig deeper & the competitiveness would kick in!

Well done on the pb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done.., a bit of mental maths tells me the last 1.1 was ok which means you weren't physically in a heap. There's also the possibility that you looked at the watch in a bad spot for GPS. If I am not mistaken you have been doing a HM plan which is not ideal for a 5k. :pac: Nothing to be turning your nose up at....a good PB which you can improve on during the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You got it done! A PB is a PB! Better still, at least you know where you are now and what you might do differently next time :) That middle mile in a 5k is the mental one. You are working hard, the pain is settling in but its too soon to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Completely agree with the others, the middle mile of a 5k is the real pain locker for me as well. So easy to get disheartened, you don't have the freshness of mile 1 or the lure of the finish line of mile 3.

Well done on the Pb - a good building block for the summer months !

Thanks for the comments everyone! I’m definitely going to focus on a 5k plan now and hopefully the parkruns will be back up and running soon so I can practice getting through the torture of the second mile :)

• Advertisement

17th-23rd May

Mon17th
    Rest

Tues 18th
    7miles easy

Weds 19th
    Physio
    I’ve never had a good going over by a physio so decided to make an appointment with one that was recommended to me to sort out a couple of niggles in my hips, knees and ankles. It’s turns out I’m hyper mobile/double jointed in all my major joints which might be good for some activities but not for running!! (The more I thought about this afterwards I vaguely remember someone telling me this before but didn’t take much notice!) She gave me loads of stabilising exercises to do and I’ve to stay on top of my strength work, I’m really bad at this at the best of times but I think I’ve finally seen the light and if I want to continue running it has to be part of my everyday routine

Thurs 20th
    7m easy

Fri 21st
    10m easy

Sun 23rd
    9mile hill run

Total: 33miles

Nice easy week of running :)

Advertisement