Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Computer Science if I have an interest in game development

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OwenM wrote: »
    New business's or startups using node will have a competitive advantage over the same business using Java.

And we're back to the hammer versus the screwdriver again.. Using one language over anther will not give much of an advantage because the cost does not about to very much at the end of the day. If you can't afford the couple of extra dollars for the servers, you are unlike to survive in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

All languages have problems, no matter which one you pick, but some are better for certain tasks than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

OP, I did a computing conversion course in UCC and I found it very good. It was a stepping stone really to decide to further studies in computing or other areas. People from my class branched off to various areas of computing but a good few went into further study and did masters in different courses.

A conversion course gives you a taster if you came from a different degree background. In your case you be best to start off as Mature student in an undergrad degree that way you get a broader insight into the subjects covered. UCC do good computing courses. Any university would be grand they do fairly standard computing courses but if going into games development i'd research the courses. I'd look into other universities as well and research the courses you be interested in. Self learning is a big thing when it comes to computing languages. For me I much preferred the website design/web programming side of things - html, css, php, javascript etc. I found the java more complicated for me but the other languages I picked up more easily. You either pick it up or not similar to that of maths/foreign languages. The languages used for certain tasks more than others for example for a basic Content Management system to create a website HTML would be the key coding language used.

You have computing courses that just cover a broad range of subjects and then you have specific courses that are more in depth. Java would be the key language in the computing industry but you may have more of a flare for one language over the other but they are all relevant regardless what area of the computer industry you are in. Java is fairly standard for most computing courses and computing jobs.

I would been big into video games when I was younger but going from hobby to career is very different you have to really love it to want to work in it. I would say if you do well in your course you will have no issues getting interviews but a University looks better on a CV than an IT from my own experience. I was offered more interviews after university than an IT. Generally its the course that should matter more than the 3rd level institution but it can have an impact sometimes not just getting your 1st or 2:1. I'd look into the other universities as well not just UCC, NUIG, UL and the uni's in Dublin I would think do just as good computing courses as UCC. I've noted that a lot of grads go to the UK after being in UCC.

Work experience would be key as well but not many courses have work experience as part of their courses so look into that aswell when looking into courses the majority is all theory and practical aspects to courses. It be an idea to do work experience in that area in the summer or do an internship each summer, easier said than done but it be a help when finding work after your degree. I would advise to create your own websites/software development projects yourself on the side when you start the course either for yourself or for others and have a sort of portfolio it look really good in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dgallagher_73

starlit wrote: »
    OP, I did a computing conversion course in UCC and I found it very good. It was a stepping stone really to decide to further studies in computing or other areas. People from my class branched off to various areas of computing but a good few went into further study and did masters in different courses.

A conversion course gives you a taster if you came from a different degree background. In your case you be best to start off as Mature student in an undergrad degree that way you get a broader insight into the subjects covered. UCC do good computing courses. Any university would be grand they do fairly standard computing courses but if going into games development i'd research the courses. I'd look into other universities as well and research the courses you be interested in. Self learning is a big thing when it comes to computing languages. For me I much preferred the website design/web programming side of things - html, css, php, javascript etc. I found the java more complicated for me but the other languages I picked up more easily. You either pick it up or not similar to that of maths/foreign languages. The languages used for certain tasks more than others for example for a basic Content Management system to create a website HTML would be the key coding language used.

You have computing courses that just cover a broad range of subjects and then you have specific courses that are more in depth. Java would be the key language in the computing industry but you may have more of a flare for one language over the other but they are all relevant regardless what area of the computer industry you are in. Java is fairly standard for most computing courses and computing jobs.

I would been big into video games when I was younger but going from hobby to career is very different you have to really love it to want to work in it. I would say if you do well in your course you will have no issues getting interviews but a University looks better on a CV than an IT from my own experience. I was offered more interviews after university than an IT. Generally its the course that should matter more than the 3rd level institution but it can have an impact sometimes not just getting your 1st or 2:1. I'd look into the other universities as well not just UCC, NUIG, UL and the uni's in Dublin I would think do just as good computing courses as UCC. I've noted that a lot of grads go to the UK after being in UCC.

Work experience would be key as well but not many courses have work experience as part of their courses so look into that aswell when looking into courses the majority is all theory and practical aspects to courses. It be an idea to do work experience in that area in the summer or do an internship each summer, easier said than done but it be a help when finding work after your degree. I would advise to create your own websites/software development projects yourself on the side when you start the course either for yourself or for others and have a sort of portfolio it look really good in interviews.
    Hi, thanks very much for the helpful information. I'll will take your advice into account.

Can I ask why do UCC graduates seem to gravitate towards the UK? Is it because there is more work there or something? Why specifically UCC graduates though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

All languages have problems, no matter which one you pick, but some are better for certain tasks than others.

Yep, as I said in #48:

You would not take your car to a mechanic who only owned a hammer, nor will an employer take on a software engineer who's skills are limited to a single language or similar technology.

Picking the right tool for the job is part of the requirements. And if you don't know how to use several tools the challenge becomes much bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi, thanks very much for the helpful information. I'll will take your advice into account.

Can I ask why do UCC graduates seem to gravitate towards the UK? Is it because there is more work there or something? Why specifically UCC graduates though?

You welcome hope it be some help to you.

I noticed a lot of grads regardless of the courses they did tended to leave Cork and go elsewhere in Ireland or go to the UK. It is likely there are more job opportunities in the areas they studied in and ended up in the UK for work. Some 'milkarounds' or companies that would have visited on recruitment days some would have been uk companies and they might train in the uk and then come back to Ireland to work.

Some have been lucky enough to find work in Cork but to be honest all the jobs are in Dublin especially for computing jobs if you wish to stay in Ireland. Some people feel that they might gain better or more experience in the UK it all depends on the grad I say.

Advertisement