Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2

2456771

Comments

  • #2


    Wouldn't you feel sorry for the sad, socially inept people here who love spreading a bit of groundless negativity about the pubs never returning in their old form in a thousand years. Sometimes I wonder if a certain government minister is operating a few troll accounts.


  • #2


    Pubs and nightclubs are not there for you specifically. They are a viable industry supporting thousands of families. Just because you don't miss them/never went to them does not mean it's ok for them to be closed, they are businesses and social hubs that need to be fought for tooth and nail.


  • #2


    thing i miss most about the pubs is just being able to ring the brother in law and walk down the local (which apparently will never open again) and have a few pints on a sunday evening.

    or driving by the pub with the misses and kids and just popping in for a few, spur of the moment.

    or going the hotel down the road on a Sunday, kids have their tablets and switches( thats a seperate bad parenting discussion) and having carvery, few pints, watch the matches and walk home.

    all these come down to one thing i miss, freedom. (said in william wallace voice)


  • #2


    Wet pubs will not reopen before September at the earliest and even if they do time limits and social distancing measures will be in place. Simple as that.
    Much as I hate to say it, I think September is starting to look optimistic. Last summer when the infection rate was barely in double-figures and the death rate within statistical noise of zero Dublin pubs remained firmly shut. Leopard never changes its spots, etc.. :(


  • #2


    Edz87 wrote: »
    Pubs and nightclubs are not there for you specifically. They are a viable industry supporting thousands of families. Just because you don't miss them/never went to them does not mean it's ok for them to be closed, they are businesses and social hubs that need to be fought for tooth and nail.

    We absolutely need hospitality venues which employ people, and provide a range of leisure options. These options likely include drinking and addictive, depressive, toxin.

    But we don't need venues dedicated to that and that alone.

    At very least, they need to serve food too.


  • #2


    Do you work with NPHET/government? More bull coming out of your mouth. Sure if they dont open people will just have drinks in there back gardens or local parks. Or shebeens for some people

    Well we know you yourself do go to shebeens anyway after all your attention seeking crowing and peacock like strutting about it on here before and during Christmas. Have any of your buddies in your cosy little drinking group let the cat out of the bag yet?


  • #2


    PommieBast wrote: »
    Much as I hate to say it, I think September is starting to look optimistic. Last summer when the infection rate was barely in double-figures and the death rate within statistical noise of zero Dublin pubs remained firmly shut. Leopard never changes its spots, etc.. :(

    Correct.


  • #2


    Well we know you yourself do go to shebeens anyway after all your attention seeking crowing and peaock like strutting about it on here before and during Christmas. Have any of your buddies in your cosy little drinking group let the cat out of the bag yet?



    Havent been there since the Christmas but planning on heading there this weekend for the rugby. And sorry to disappoint you but no the cat hasnt been let out of the bag and wont be. We are too cute for that ;)


  • #2


    Havent been there since the Christmas but planning on heading there this weekend for the rugby. And sorry to disappoint you but no the cat hasnt been let out of the bag and wont be. We are too cute for that ;)

    You think so?:D Pride comes before the fall.:)


  • #2


    You think so?:D Pride comes before the fall.:)

    Not a chance :D . I will enjoy my few pints this weekend and not be told what to do by the muppets in the government


  • #2


    We absolutely need hospitality venues which employ people, and provide a range of leisure options. These options likely include drinking and addictive, depressive, toxin.

    But we don't need venues dedicated to that and that alone.

    At very least, they need to serve food too.

    Why do they need to serve food


  • #2


    i was hoping to get to Clare on holidays this summer, if i can't even have a pint then whats the point,
    shebeens will start popping up all over the place soon if mehole carries on with this crap after half the country is vaccinated


  • #2


    Not a chance :D . I will enjoy my few pints this weekend and not be told what to do by the muppets in the government

    Make the most of them. They may be your last for a long while.;)


  • #2


    i was hoping to get to Clare on holidays this summer, if i can't even have a pint then whats the point,
    shebeens will start popping up all over the place soon if mehole carries on with this crap after half the country is vaccinated



    Thats the crap we are dealing with and people are happy to stay in the current restrictions. If the gob****es in the government dont open up the hospitality trade during the summer there will be uproar. Why go on holidays down the country when you mighten be able to dine out or get a few pints. And shebeens/home made bars are popping up all over the country. Cant blame people for having them


  • #2


    ShyMets wrote: »
    Why do they need to serve food

    That’s exactly what I was wondering. Under covid I can see why we would limit just-drinking and nobody seems to se a problem with nightclubs being closed for that reason.

    But after covid, the market should dictate the type of pubs. I suspect the market for pure drinking pubs was moving towards gastropubs, but I wouldn’t support getting rid of drink only pubs.


  • #2


    That’s exactly what I was wondering. Under covid Incan see why we would limit just-drinking and nobody seems to se a problem with nightclubs being closed for that reason.

    But after covid, the market should dictate they type of pubs. I suspect the market for pure drinking pubs was moving towards gastropubs, but I wouldn’t support getting rid of drink only pubs.

    I agree. I think we'll see less drink only pubs but there will still be a demand for them.

    And if the market's there then they should be allowed to open. Just because some people disagree with drink only pubs is not a valid reason to keep them closed


  • #2


    Pubs are gone for good.

    The docs are looking at the reduced number of drunken injuries coming thru A&E and the reduced alcohol harm to most of the population, and doing the sums.

    Restaurants will be back. That's all.
    I don't think they're gone for good but a lot of them wont be around 5 years from now. And to be honest it's got little to do with vivid. Pubs and particularly niteclubs have been suffering due to the rise of dating apps - there is simply no reason for a lot of people to go to them anymore.

    That's why Dublin had a night ambassador to try and revive the scene. That's a lost battle already though


  • #2


    That’s exactly what I was wondering. Under covid I can see why we would limit just-drinking and nobody seems to se a problem with nightclubs being closed for that reason.

    But after covid, the market should dictate the type of pubs. I suspect the market for pure drinking pubs was moving towards gastropubs, but I wouldn’t support getting rid of drink only pubs.
    I think the fact that this is even being considered/debated is symptomatic of the cancel cuture prevalent at present. "I don't like/agree with traditonal pubs, so they should all be forced to serve food". Thankfully that vocal minority will still be sitting in their bedrooms in a few months typing soliloquies on Boards/Twitter whilst the rest of us are out enjoying ourselves.


  • #2


    We absolutely need hospitality venues which employ people, and provide a range of leisure options. These options likely include drinking and addictive, depressive, toxin.

    But we don't need venues dedicated to that and that alone.

    At very least, they need to serve food too.
    jaysus


  • #2


    ShyMets wrote: »
    Why do they need to serve food

    It slows the absorption of the addictive toxin.

    And a full stomach slows the amount you can drink.


  • #2


    That’s exactly what I was wondering. Under covid I can see why we would limit just-drinking and nobody seems to se a problem with nightclubs being closed for that reason.

    But after covid, the market should dictate the type of pubs. I suspect the market for pure drinking pubs was moving towards gastropubs, but I wouldn’t support getting rid of drink only pubs.

    god i hope you're wrong, i'm an older chap who isn't interested in tarting up going to a gastro pub, i want a spit and sawdust type place with real people having a real chat with a barman that knows your name.
    Small, dark and dreary the old fashioned irish way !


  • #2


    I think the fact that this is even being considered/debated is symptomatic of the cancel cuture prevalent at present. "I don't like/agree with traditonal pubs, so they should all be forced to serve food". Thankfully that vocal minority will still be sitting in their bedrooms in a few months typing soliloquies on Boards/Twitter whilst the rest of us are out enjoying ourselves.

    Ah, some people always think like that. They rephrase the question "should people be permitted to do x?" as "do I personally want to do X?". Nothing to worry about . I don't think its being considered or debated at all. I think a handful of people have suggested it and been shot down. Not much of a debate happening.


  • #2


    It slows the absorption of the addictive toxin.

    And a full stomach slows the amount you can drink.

    So once you're eating a bit food its ok to ingest an addictive toxin. Grand.

    But heaven forbid you have a couple of pints on there own

    I suspect come late August/September you're going to be disappointed


  • #2


    Ah, some people always think like that. They rephrase the question "should people be permitted to do x?" as "do I personally want to do X?". Nothing to worry about . I don't think its being considered or debated at all. I think a handful of people have suggested it and been shot down. Not much of a debate happening.
    Oh I know. For one thing the demand will still be there for regular pubs - think post match pints, stags, weekend late nights (to name a few), people don't want big meals when they are out to socialise in such capacities.
    I just think it's hilarious that posters are coming on here with an obvious agenda and an even more obvious disdain for pub culture, and offering their views as fact. I guess that news during week of reforming the licencing hours, extended opening times, etc. must have thrown them over the edge :pac:


  • #2


    It slows the absorption of the addictive toxin.

    And a full stomach slows the amount you can drink.

    Which is why I cook something a half hour before I start getting ready, or grab a chipper/ McD's if I'm on the run.

    I don't like having a sip of beer 20 seconds after eating food and am proud to say I didn't eat a morsel in a pub during summer/ autumn (would either not touch it if I was on my first pub or would have her bagged up if I was on my last one. Or preferable to all of that would occasionally find a pub that either didn't insist or served me the cheapest item available like a 4 quid soup, which I also didn't touch)

    Irish law regarding pubs in 2020 became quite literally a sketch from the Inbetweeners sending up a bizarre facet of English alcohol laws.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l0zGihopKc


  • #2


    god i hope you're wrong, i'm an older chap who isn't interested in tarting up going to a gastro pub, i want a spit and sawdust type place with real people having a real chat with a barman that knows your name.
    Small, dark and dreary the old fashioned irish way !

    Ah yeah but people go a bit far to play up the darkness and dreariness of these pubs and then wonder why other people get a bad impression of them. Spit and sawdust is an evocative image but i don't think it's a particularly sensible thing to wish for.

    Likewise i think people often describe the conversations in pubs as "talking sh1te". They call it sh1te and then try to convince other people it's important. That's a strange way to on.

    And FWIW, my favourite pub in the world is in my home village (the only pub in the village). It is dark, dingy, small crowd where the barman has plenty of time to talk to the customers, toilets are smelly and not very clean. I think those things could all be improved and it would give it a better chance of surviving. I don't think it's objectively a good pub but it's got the people from the village and that's why i like it.


  • #2


    UI_Paddy wrote: »
    Indeed these pubs were real, always packed in the city centre, especially in the evening and at weekends. They were a part of what was Dublin in the rare Auld Times.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zHE4o2qVg


  • #2


    I've been told they are looking to some of the liquor licensing laws in other jurisdictions that require the establishment to serve food.



    The new laws won't mandate that you have to have a substantial meal with your drink, but the establishment will have to serve food.


  • #2


    I've been told they are looking to some of the liquor licensing laws in other jurisdictions that require the establishment to serve food.



    The new laws won't mandate that you have to have a substantial meal with your drink, but the establishment will have to serve food.
    Give it up Paddy boy :D:D:D


  • #2


    It slows the absorption of the addictive toxin.

    And a full stomach slows the amount you can drink.

    NO,thats terrible health advice, worst thing you can do is eat a heavy meal after 8-9pm. why on earth would you want nightclubs serving food?! theres a thing called a chipper /kebab shop for that! nobody is forced down on a table and poured alcohol down their neck, its a thing called living in a free ,democratic country. sure fags are still being sold there worse for you.


Sign In or Register to comment.