Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treats & hidden gems from Cork's ethnic food shops

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've been looking for the frozen veg paratha that they used to sell in Khan Spices on NMS. They were lovely. Nicely spiced and flakey. Can't find them anywhere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Cork could do with a solely Mexican grocery store. I’ve been trying to track down corn tortillas in vain. I did try Mr Bells, and whilst they sell the corn flour you would use there’s no premade ones. I had been looking up Mexican recipes and they require different types of dry chilles. You can get them from a shop in Dublin but delivery is €€€ and long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

My favourite is Cork Oriental Supermarket, awful unfriendly service but a better selection than Jia Jia. They had a hot pot restaurant running out the back at one stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,160 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Cork could do with a solely Mexican grocery store. I’ve been trying to track down corn tortillas in vain. I did try Mr Bells, and whilst they sell the corn flour you would use there’s no premade ones. I had been looking up Mexican recipes and they require different types of dry chilles. You can get them from a shop in Dublin but delivery is €€€ and long.

You need to look in Mr. Bell's again.
    The have a big range of corn tortillas now. Different sizes and some flavoured ones. Good simple ingredients, too.
    They are on an outside shelf facing The Pig's Back.

They have a selection of Mexican dried chillies, too.

Superfruit have had fresh tomitillos recently, too.

The have a big range of corn tortillas now. Different sizes and some flavoured ones. Good simple ingredients, too.

Oh blast. Thanks for the tip. I might go back later.

Oh blast. Thanks for the tip. I might go back later.

Chillies are inside. Ask.

Thanks - I went back and found them. Didn't realize they have goods on the outside too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

There's frozen Blanco Nino ones in Musgraves if you know someone with an account. I think they're planning on getting them into regular supermarkets, but haven't seen them about yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Mr Bells have them online for delivery or pickup in Togher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Surprised nobody has mentioned Zaiqa in Togher / Tramore Road area. I guess it's a bit hidden and nothing out of the ordinary.

It's an Arabic spice supermarket. Has the usual spices, veggies, frozen goods, fresh meat counter etc. They also sold a nice Syrian flat bread last time I was there. Think it's made in Cork.

Before the lockdown they had a restaurant with seats in there too. Had a few kebabs there.

I got some creamy (white) spinach dip from Mr. Bells, the brand is Tostitos.

Salty and oniony flavoured, this is really nice as a dip. It's €5.50 a jar. I might try it to make tuna salad.

Also some more of the corn tacos from there, I am addicted to those. €4.50 for a big pack. Dry fry them on a cast iron skillet or pan. No oil needed.

Spicetown in Bishopstown for Indian sauces and spices. They also do amazing frozen naan bread at a fraction of what you would pay in Irish supermarket and taste just like you would have in a restaurant.

I started buying these after reading this post. Thanks for the tip.

Absolutely delish. They have brought my home made kebab meat platthers to another level. Much better than that dry crumbly shyte in the supermarkets.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Also some more of the corn tacos from there, I am addicted to those. €4.50 for a big pack. Dry fry them on a cast iron skillet or pan. No oil needed.

Tried that the first time but found them a bit hard.
    Subsequently, I steamed them and found that I preferred them.

Mr. Bells are selling chicken salt, that Australian delicacy.

Anyone tried it?

https://twitter.com/MrBellsCork/status/1390973358360219648?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Polonez by the back of Woodies is brilliant, they have a fantastic meat counter (always busy) and a great range of chilled and frozen food, very clean and reasonably priced, it’s my favourite of all the Polish/Eastern European food stores. I bake a lot and find they have a wide range such as fresh yeast, spices etc at a much cheaper price than the Irish shops.
    Also, I 2nd Spicetown in Bishopstown for Indian sauces and spices. They also do amazing frozen naan bread at a fraction of what you would pay in Irish supermarket and taste just like you would have in a restaurant.

Just wondering - there's a selection of different frozen naans in Spicetown. Any particular version / brand you'd recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Hi, the last brand of naan I got were Haldiram but I’ve tried a few other brands and they were all just as nice as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Hi, the last brand of naan I got were Haldiram but I’ve tried a few other brands and they were all just as nice as each other.

Great stuff, thanks! I picked a random packet yesterday so we'll see how they go. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

m*pp*t wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks! I picked a random packet yesterday so we'll see how they go. :D

Tried them after the recommendation here and was not disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

You have to try Mr Bell's all purpose bagel seasoning. It's absolutely unreal on avocado toast, or on top of cream cheese on bread. Amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

Just wondering, shop aficionados, does anyone know anywhere in Cork that stocks Portuguese food?

I am looking for the spiced sardine pate that you get on holiday in Portugal with drinks.

Used to get this from amazon, but it doesn't deliver here anymore after Brexit.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manna-Pate-Sardina-Sardin-Paste/dp/B082H4C8RY/ref=asc_df_B082H4C8RY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463113244719&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4896612767311867062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007835&hvtargid=pla-920916504430&psc=1

I did get a small tin of something really like it on the Olive stand ages ago, a posher brand maybe, but they don't stock it very often.

There's a portugese shop in dublin that have it too, but it's 10 euro shipping

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a Portuguese food shop on MacCurtain Street? Is it still there?

(you have got me going with the idea of sardine pate! I have never come across it, but it sounds delicious. This recipe looks good https://irenamacri.com/recipes/sardine-pate/)

Thanks! Might try to make it at home.
    The original has a little spice in them , not sure what it is, but it's definitely not mayo. It's everywhere in portugal.

More like this maybe
    https://tortillafortea.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/portuguese-sardine-pate/comment-page-1/

Shipping food via addresspal isn't a runner I think, plus I'd get caught for customs on top. Just too awkward.

What was the name of the shop on mccurtin street do you remember?

notAMember wrote: »
    What was the name of the shop on mccurtin street do you remember?

I can't remember I'm afraid :(
    I had a quick look on Google Maps, but I can't find it there either.
    notAMember wrote: »
    The original has a little spice in them , not sure what it is, but it's definitely not mayo. It's everywhere in portugal.

This is a different variety, but from the same brand, there is mustard in there:

Sardine (40%), mackerel (20%), vegetable oil (sunflower), water, tomato concentrate, soy protein, Mustard condiment (water, vinegar, sugar, salt, modified corn starch, mustard, stabilizers [carob seed flour and guar gum] and spices), spices and salt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mann%C3%A1-Tinned-Sardine-P%C3%A2t%C3%A9-Portugal/dp/B003TRU4AC

Unfortunately "spices" could mean anything!

I like the idea of making it at home, with sundried tomatoes, and any spices you like.

On a side note, you should be able to get anchovy paste in Mr. Bells (or at least I used to get it there).
    It's quite salty, but lovely spread thinly on toast.

Shop on Mc Curtain Street was called O Português I think. I'm not sure it's still open, though.
    There's a Brazilian shop on Cogburg Street - perhaps they have something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

There is a Portuguese shop in Fermoy, my friends go there.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hbbz7wKYi2bTWNXW6

There is a Portuguese shop in Fermoy, my friends go there.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hbbz7wKYi2bTWNXW6

Cool Thanks! I'll check it out next time I'm in North Cork.

I had a stab at it myself after a rummage around in the supermarket

I found these
    https://www.shinesseafood.ie/product/shines-wild-sardines-in-tomato-sauce-118g/

and blended that up with lemon juice, salt and olive oil.

Pretty successful I think! Spread on crostini it was very nice in the garden with drinks. Only based on the memory of tasting it on holidays loooong ago. :)

They have a website it seems, all in Portuguese but it might save a trip! https://welcomeshopportugal.com/

yes, found the product I'm looking for, but shipping has a min shop of 65 euro.
    https://welcomeshopportugal.com/produto/pate-de-sardinha-solo-natural/

Torres potato crisps.

These are delicious. Light and crispy, cooked in quality extra virgin olive oil.

From Quay Co-op.

At €1.33, I think they must have been accidentally underpriced!

IMG-20210621-171238.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Got the naan breads from spicetown at the weekend, delicious!

Sonrisa wrote: »
    Got the naan breads from spicetown at the weekend, delicious!

What is the brand please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What is the brand please?

I picked up the Haldiram brand there the last time I was out there. I think there were other brands there at the time, but I went with what was recommended in this thread a few pages back. They were lovely. Need to re-stock now though.

This satay sauce from Mr Bells is delicious. You get two pouches of dried mix. One for the marinade and one for the dipping sauce. Just need coconut milk and protein of your choice.

I love Haldiram's stuff. Haven't tried the naans yet, but found a good selection of their products in Asian Foods on North Main Street. Delicious paratha and ready made (but salty) vegetarian curries.

Thanks for the tip!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in Super Valu in Grange this evening and they had loads of Mr. Bells spices there. I hadn't noticed them in my local Super Valu up the country, might just be the Ryan's Super Valu outlets. Took the opportunity to stock up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I think the Grange, Glanmire and Togher Super Valu outlets all have the same owner, or at least they did when I worked in the Grange one years ago.

The riceberry is back in Mr Bell's. @the beer revolu

I picked up some Jimmy's satay sauce too, looking forward to trying that.

• Advertisement

Lol, my wife came home with a Kg of it from Jia Jia yesterday.

Different brand, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Gas flushing package. That could mean a number of things. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Anywhere in Cork selling good Baklawa? The stuff in Lidl is dry as a board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

think there's a middle eastern place on MacCurtain street selling it but haven't tried it there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Any Turkish owned shops or takeaways around?

• Advertisement

Also worth checking out is the Greek shop GeoFood on South Main street, right next to Shake Dog. Yould nearly miss it, but the owner/staff are lovely. Got come great canned dolma/rice in vine leaves and pickles there.

They said that they are planning on opening a deli or hot food section soon. Looking forward to that.

Summerstown Road halal shop. Haven't been in in ages, must get some suçuk and make pide.

Nosta on Marlboro street and Istanbul on Oliver plunker street.

For similar ish food I'd also recommend four liars in Shandon. Syrian food with lovely grilled meats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Jia Jia is awesome, love the new Greek/Georgian shop on South Main St too! "Geofood".. try the Georgian pear drink!

Has anyone seen smoked canned sardines for sale?

These one are just sardines with smoke flavour added. Maybe I just might try adding liquid smoke to my sardines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement