Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Cork Street

Options
  • 14-02-2021 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anyone know what's the story there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

What are you asking innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Open 9 - 9 today. It's a store or supermarket with a Lidl sign over it.

Anything else, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

breadman wrote: »

Think they are doing a total refrub on it. Went past it Friday and it was still under construction

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There had been a sign up saying due to open 11th Feb - haven't been past it since then, I take it it's not re-opened yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There had been a sign up saying due to open 11th Feb - haven't been past it since then, I take it it's not re-opened yet?

Still closed and no announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

messrs wrote: »
    Think they are doing a total refrub on it. Went past it Friday and it was still under construction

They went ahead with it's closure after Xmas and seem to have been caught out by the restrictions on construction .

For reasons best known to themselves they left up the "Reopening on February 11th" sign til at least 9th February even though apparently little work has been done on it since early January .

From what I gather it will be a few weeks till construction begins again and a few weeks then to finish so possibly late March/early April

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

SPDUB wrote: »
    They went ahead with it's closure after Xmas and seem to have been caught out by the restrictions on construction .

For reasons best known to themselves they left up the "Reopening on February 11th" sign til at least 9th February even though apparently little work has been done on it since early January .

From what I gather it will be a few weeks till construction begins again and a few weeks then to finish so possibly late March/early April

Great reply thanks I think you have it well summed up

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭global23214124

It was shut an hour ago when I went past it. Luckily there was one a few minutes away for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Doodah7

breadman wrote: »

Once upon a time there was a supermarket in Cork whose name was Lidl. Lidl's overall appearance was starting to get a little shabby so Lidl's mammy decided it was high time that he got a nice fresh makeover.

The workers came along and starting making Lidl all nice and new. Unfortunately the big and nasty Pandemic monster was rampaging through the town so the workers couldn't continue their work.

Hopefully, when the Pandemic monster goes back to his cave for a long hundred year sleep, Lidl can get his new set of clothes and look smashing for all his friends who are soooo desperate to go visit him, even though Lidl's brothers are all over the town.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Is the problem the Covid level 5 restrictions have stopped construction work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to appropriate regional forum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Is the problem the Covid level 5 restrictions have stopped construction work?

Think so, they were revamping the whole shop including the outside I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Once upon a time there was a supermarket in Cork whose name was Lidl. Lidl's overall appearance was starting to get a little shabby so Lidl's mammy decided it was high time that he got a nice fresh makeover.

The workers came along and starting making Lidl all nice and new. Unfortunately the big and nasty Pandemic monster was rampaging through the town so the workers couldn't continue their work.

Hopefully, when the Pandemic monster goes back to his cave for a long hundred year sleep, Lidl can get his new set of clothes and look smashing for all his friends who are soooo desperate to go visit him, even though Lidl's brothers are all over the town.

The end.

Not Cork though...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Doodah7 wrote: »
    ... a supermarket in Cork...
    In Dublin (Cork Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vivah

Just went on Lidl’s official site and looked up our local Lidl (Cork Street D8) and it says it’s “permanently closed”. Anyone knows anything about this? Isn’t is just under construction, not discontinued? It’d be devastating if it never opened its doors again...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

vivah wrote: »
    Just went on Lidl’s official site and looked up our local Lidl (Cork Street D8) and it says it’s “permanently closed”. Anyone knows anything about this? Isn’t is just under construction, not discontinued? It’d be devastating if it never opened its doors again...

I doubt it...they had done some work on it before it closed for full renovation, and were working on it at the start of lockdown before the govt stopped all non-essential building.
    Place was always packed, don't see how it couldn't be making money and I doubt rent or anything at that end of Cork st would be that expensive. The lidl plus app still has it as 'open', which is also wrong, maybe they just changed it to closed as they have no definitive re-open date as lockdown drags on and they cant work on it?

Went by this last night and noticed 2 things

The reopening soon sign is still there and more interestingly there is some work going on in it .

Taking a look through the shutter at the door I can see someone has being doing work on the electricals near the door .

There is now different coloured cable coming out of the ceiling and about 4 spools of it on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The middle of May, I was told. Just waiting for the post-April5th go ahead on construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donaldonal

vivah wrote: »
    It’d be devastating if it never opened its doors again...
    Devestating? There's another Lidl on Thomas Street about 10 mins walk away

The Thomas st one is pretty crap though, forever out of stock.
    Depending on where in D8 you are, the Aungier St Lidl is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

retalivity wrote: »
    The Thomas st one is pretty crap though, forever out of stock.
    Depending on where in D8 you are, the Aungier St Lidl is better

Did the not extend the size of the Thomas Street one? It used to be tiny

Jizique wrote: »
    Did the not extend the size of the Thomas Street one? It used to be tiny

Dunno, its still smaller than a regular lidl, was never in the thomas st one up until 2-3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

donaldonal wrote: »
    Devestating? There's another Lidl on Thomas Street about 10 mins walk away

There’s no car park at that Lidl. I live in Kilmainham and my nearest Lidl (with parking) is in Walkinstown which is a 15 minute drive. Same with Aldi, 15 minute drive (Long Mile). First world problem I know, but it’s a pain in the arse!

There’s no car park at that Lidl. I live in Kilmainham and my nearest Lidl (with parking) is in Walkinstown which is a 15 minute drive. Same with Aldi, 15 minute drive (Long Mile). First world problem I know, but it’s a pain in the arse!

Hear hear!!

I wish they'd open an Aldi near here, it's def my preference of the two shops.

But the nearby lidl would do....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lidl put up that construction restarts on 4th May on Cork St.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hear hear!!

I wish they'd open an Aldi near here, it's def my preference of the two shops.

But the nearby lidl would do....

Aldi bought the old Windsor Motor premises to turn it into a store and some apartments on top .

Got permission from the Corpo , Planning appeals Inspector said it should go forward with some small changes

An Bord Pleanála turned it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

SPDUB wrote: »
    Aldi bought the old Windsor Motor premises to turn it into a store and some apartments on top .

Got permission from the Corpo , Planning appeals Inspector said it should go forward with some small changes

An Bord Pleanála turned it down

ABP happy to leave the city a dump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Lidl Ballyfermot not a little bit closer?

Drove me mad living in Kilmainham and Inchicore with no car, no decent supermarket!

Twee. wrote: »
    Lidl Ballyfermot not a little bit closer?

Drove me mad living in Kilmainham and Inchicore with no car, no decent supermarket!
    Walkinstown is much easier to get to, I think they're much of a muchness in terms of distance but the traffic through Ballyfermot would put me right off using that one.

Hadn't heard that about the old cinema, I knew it was in for redevelopment alright. That would be very close to the Cork Street one, though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I used to walk past it a lot. The willingness of people to queue up outside behind at least 10 other people always threw me.

Advertisement