Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokey & the Bandit appreciation thread

Options
  • 13-02-2021 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Just caught it this afternoon by chance, it's one of those movies that always leaves a smile on my face, it has to be the greatest "feel good" movie of all time.

It has Burt Reynolds & Sally Field both in their prime...brilliant car chases, hot women, and a kickin theme tune.

And of course the star of the show Sheriff Buford T. Justice played brilliantly by
    Jackie Gleeson.

"There's no way, no way! that you came from my loins, Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth!" :pac:

thats a big 10-4 rubber duck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"We got a... long way to go
    And a short time to get there.
    We're gonna do what they say can't be done..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

fryup wrote: »
    And of course the star of the show Sheriff Buford T. Justice played brilliantly by
    Jackie Gleeson.

Jackie Gleeson was great in these. :D

The actor who played his dimwit son in the movies died last month. He was ex NFL and in Tarzan surprisingly

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/mike-henry-tarzan-actor-dies-1234900132/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'll be kind.

It did not age well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"Daddy wait for me, who's gonna hold your hat"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Preferred ‘The Blues Brothers’ but Smokey and the Bandit is good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'll be kind.

It did not age well.

It's a perfect movie of its time and should be looked at with that in mind.

Hard to see it now and not enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Just caught it this afternoon by chance, it's one of those movies that always leaves a smile on my face, it has to be the greatest "feel good" movie of all time.

It has Burt Reynolds & Sally Field both in their prime...brilliant car chases, hot women, and a kickin theme tune.

Jackie Gleeson.

"There's no way, no way! that you came from my loins, Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth!" :pac:

thats a big 10-4 rubber duck

Rubber Duck was Kristoferson in Convoy, not Smokey and The Bandit.

But Sally Fields' ass.....Whoa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

How would you rate it versus ‘Over The Top’, OP?

(The Stallone one where he is an arm wrestling truck driver.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Smokey & The Bandit and Cannonball Run were two of my favourite films when I was a child :)

Rubber Duck was Kristoferson in Convoy, not Smokey and The Bandit.

thats a big 10-4

• Advertisement

thats a big 10-4

10-10 till we do it again, over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Watched it again last night. Absolute classic. Only thing I was missing was a few beers and one of my best friends over to really enjoy it. The OH wasn’t as taken by it.

Blues brothers another great movie.- usually my go to movie after a night in the pub.

Every which way but loose is another one I must watch again.

Thanks op for opening a very important thread! 10-4 buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fun fact - Jackie Gleason improvised most of his dialog in the first movie, the director just let the cameras role.

I sincerely hope they never remake this classic. It just doesn't fit in to today's over sensitive world.

"and don't play with yourself, it wouldn't look nice on the highway" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

"and don't play with yourself, it wouldn't look nice on the highway" :pac:

Words to live by! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"a barrel of monkey nuts".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

just caught the last short bit of it today - what a fantastic movie. A real throw back to my youth, and as a car nut - one that left a huge impact on me. I'd say I've seen it 50 times, brilliant.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sat down with the kids and it was on the telly when we turned it on. Got a few questions, who is he, what year was it released in. Did they swear a lot back then. Ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

It did not age well.

Nothing has aged well. Political correctness has sucked the fun out of everything. You cant have sexual tension, demonise an social group or populations and you have to token member from every representative group!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,889 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How would you rate it versus ‘Over The Top’, OP?

(The Stallone one where he is an arm wrestling truck driver.)

It did have a cheesy song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nothing has aged well. Political correctness has sucked the fun out of everything. You cant have sexual tension, demonise an social group or populations and you have to token member from every representative group!!!

Crocodile Dundee was on TV yesterday and had loads of bits cut out of it for risk of offending. Surprised me as it was channel 4.
    Back to smokey, Sally Field is gorgeous in it. So pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Saw it for first time ever.

Not particularly funny, like an extended Dukes of Hazzard. Had to have subtitles on, I can see why rednecks liked it. Terrible nonsense plot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

Jackie Gleeson was great in these. :D

The actor who played his dimwit son in the movies died last month. He was ex NFL and in Tarzan surprisingly

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/mike-henry-tarzan-actor-dies-1234900132/

He was the last of the old-school MGM/RKO/Lesser/Weintraub Tarzans, the series that began with Weissmuller. After him came the Ron Ely teleseries, and then the odd one-off every few years that never starts a franchise.

Gleason's parents were from Cork.

I'll be kind.

It did not age well.

you watch your goddamn mouth boy!!

you hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And all over Coors. We can’t get it here either but there ain’t no Bandit to bring it in for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Sum bitch !

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Crocodile Dundee was on TV yesterday and had loads of bits cut out of it for risk of offending. Surprised me as it was channel 4.

yet RTE show Smokey & the Bandit on a saturday afternoon with all the cuss words included, bit mad isn't it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Loved Smokey and The Bandit as a kid growing up and the last time I watched it - about 20 years ago - it was still very entertaining and funny.

It has to be remembered that it was made in 1977 - 44 years ago - a time when political correctness, wokeism, virtue signaling etc were unheard of and decades in the future.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some sort of gender identities course in university hold this film up to be an example of toxic masculinity, sexism, etc. It’s just a lot of good old fun! Yee haw!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

probably the ultimate Red Neck flick

i say this with no disdain or malice but every **** kickin rube i knew growing up was a massive fan of Smokey and the Bandit

that and the Clint Eastwood movie with the orangutan

• Advertisement

Preferred ‘The Blues Brothers’ but Smokey and the Bandit is good also.

The Blues Brothers was one annoying turd of a movie.

Advertisement