Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Motivation in home Gym

Options
  • 13-02-2021 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I've started building up a home gym over the past year. I have all of the equipment that I could possibly need. I have the motivation to go and start my workout, but during the workout I just don't feel the motivation to push my self hard. Even after taking a pre workout.

I often just find myself just not having the energy to finish the workout, stopping after two or three exercises, or even mid way though a set. This never used to happen when I went to an actual gym. As I would always push myself to do more and go heavier. I can get through the cardio, but with the weights it all just seems harder.

Does anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on how to get the motivation or energy to push myself at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Massive problem for me too. I just can't match the intensity I do at an actual gym. Can't really explain it tbh - I'll start my workout with great intentions and effort, but it doesn't take long for me to lose interest. What was going to be 4 sets becomes 3, or I'll just leave out an exercise or two that I had planned.

It's just poor discipline I guess. I can't give any suggestions because I haven't overcome it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I have this issue the whole covid periods when the gyms were closed.
    During warmer months I used to get down the park at 0630 with a preworkout and it was a nice buzz esp with the sun coming up . Pre workout and the warm sun was enough back then.
    park is a swamp now so that's out.

Do you have a set program with goals for each workout?
    The only thing keeps me going now is I have a program I must do. I have a bodyweight program I bought from an MMA coach online (phil daru).
    But now I have a plan I just start it and say to myself I can't finish till everything is done. That gets me through just ticking off the list of movements that workout - with myself under orders that the log book needs to be filled before I can quit.

I think a lot has to be said about the social aspect of the gym even if it is just a break from the house.
    Something sadly lost on the "bUt YoU cAn WoRkOuT aT hOmE" crowd.

As for motivation I wouldn't beat myself up , everybody I know no matter what their interest (outside of fitness) are finding this lockdown the worst by far. Motivation is in the toilet for 99% of people I talk too esp me.

If you are on social media I'd be careful about what you watch a lot of
    , some of the rah rah- [insert motivation] - I'm a wannabe David Googins - waffle you see from PTs and others in fitness is utter trash.
    Does your head no good, when you are not feeling great about yourself (imo)

Tbh if you want to do fcuk all , don't beat yourself up. Go for a long walk instead and try the next day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Its a combination of a number of things including:

1) poor weather / general miserableness makes running outdoors unpleasant, and I normally start a workout with a bit of cardio.

2) house too small for a big setup or for anything elaborate such as machines or indoor cardio

3) home weights are a bit light

4) home routines are boring and limited

5) hard to compartmentalise (ive found myself spending the whole 1h30m slot during covid in the gym, whereas without the time limit i probably would leave after 45 mins)

6) distractions of home

Etc

For a wide variety of reasons, none of which is an absolute bar to a workout, really demotivate me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I've started building up a home gym over the past year. I have all of the equipment that I could possibly need. I have the motivation to go and start my workout, but during the workout I just don't feel the motivation to push my self hard. Even after taking a pre workout.

I often just find myself just not having the energy to finish the workout, stopping after two or three exercises, or even mid way though a set. This never used to happen when I went to an actual gym. As I would always push myself to do more and go heavier. I can get through the cardio, but with the weights it all just seems harder.

Does anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on how to get the motivation or energy to push myself at home?

Maybe break the weights sessions into shorter, more frequent sessions. I struggled during the last lockdown...I don't really get a chance to train until after 8.30 so an hour then would feel like a chore...I used train at the 8.30 session in the gym and that wasnt an issue but inside the same 4 walls as I'd been all day was totally different.

This time, instead of doing an hour every second day, I do a half hour 6 days. Its easier to start and keep it going for the half hour.

I don't have much in the weight of equipment...some bands, push up handles and a pair of dumbbells. The lack of equipment doesn't bother me too much. It's far from ideal but it is what it is so the more I do, the less ground I have to make up when the gym reopens.

Tl;dr maybe try breaking the weights into smaller, more frequent sessions so you're doing the same work in the same time frame but shorter sessions are easier to sustain (or at least I've found that)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

I'm finding the same. The first lockdown I kind of enjoyed the novelty of calisthenics and having to be creative with equipment but there's no way I could remain motivated to train like that for basically a year. Thank god I managed to get the loan of a squat rack and bench with some decent weight for the last two lockdowns. It's still not exactly enjoyable. I find myself slugging through the programme as opposed to really enjoying it like I would in the gym.

It is strange though isn't it, it's like everything just feels harder at home. Funny enough I always said I'd love a home gym. Maybe it would be different if it was purpose built and not some equipment in a cold cramped shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Got a bad dose been lazy ass last night and tonight. Been a week where I have to force myself to train. Forced myself last night and give up the fight about 45mins ago. Maybe after six week of training I need a week off ??
    Sometimes taking a break like that makes me get more pumped about it afterwards. Finger crossed it will happen tomorrow. Either way I am not going to force it. Clean slate tomorrow, if I beat myself up about missing a session here or there. It will demotivate me more. Look at the positive you are keeping the habit going by even doing one exercise. Plus with that one exercise you are getting a benefit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I can see how some people will miss the social aspect of gym training, no matter how good their home training set up. That’s completely valid.

Training at home probably suits me because I’m the opposite. I like the solitude!

But to be honest there’s no way around it if you’re the type who is a bit more gregarious or performs better in a busier setting or especially a group class.

What I would say about intensity is that it’s one of three variables that programming is based on manipulating. The other two are frequency and volume. If you cannot manage to sustain any one element at home then bear in mind you can potentially program around that by tinkering with the others. There’s good programmes out there that don’t require you to summon up much intensity, or even volume, necessarily. Dan John’s 40 day programme is an example. But you’ll need to up frequency.

I do believe that programming for training at home must be more rewarding and more varied that what people often do, which is grind themselves into dust with repeated metabolic conditioning workouts. There are only so many full body circuits you can do before you get tired of it. The more limited your available equipment the harder it will be.

My other observation is that I really believe in the power of habit. For a long time I’ve believe in doing things I didn’t like in the belief that when they become habit then whether I am motivated to do them or not is irrelevant. Unfortunately it means being miserable for a sustained stretch of time to get there. “Atomic Habits” by James Clear came along and basically stretches this into a book, but it’s worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

This cold weather is a right pain out in a shed!
    Ive a heater but Jesus the barbell is like holding onto a block of ice !
    Its not good on my elbows or shoulder joints feels much more awkward!
    Cant wait for a little more temperature increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm no expert but I struggle more with finding the time to do a good session rather than motivation due to the demands of 4 month old and toddler :)

As a solution, I work out when I can...15 mins fast on rower in the morning, upper body weights before lunch, squats, push ups, sit ups in the evening in the living room. Breaking it up throughout the day, I'm getting more done, more consistently and in intense bursts rather than trying to imitate a PT session/gym session.

My other observation is that I really believe in the power of habit. For a long time I’ve believe in doing things I didn’t like in the belief that when they become habit then whether I am motivated to do them or not is irrelevant. Unfortunately it means being miserable for a sustained stretch of time to get there. “Atomic Habits” by James Clear came along and basically stretches this into a book, but it’s worth a look.

I'd second that. I think having the habit and a programme to work with are the two most important parts of getting through the lockdown without letting training fall by the wayside.

I found it a struggle the last time but I only did two less workouts than I would have done if I did every one I intended to because of the habit and not having to think about what I was going to do.

I'm stubborn as well, which probably helped...

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I struggle more with finding the time to do a good session rather than motivation due to the demands of 4 month old and toddler :)

As a solution, I work out when I can...15 mins fast on rower in the morning, upper body weights before lunch, squats, push ups, sit ups in the evening in the living room. Breaking it up throughout the day, I'm getting more done, more consistently and in intense bursts rather than trying to imitate a PT session/gym session.

Totally valid way to handle the kid situation.. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Set a performance goal that you really care about. You’ll care more about the quality of the workouts when you see them as a stepping stone towards a bigger goal.

I’d also recommend journaling, as it makes a lot more sense of what makes it easier/harder for you to get things done. For me personally I know that my odds of getting stuff done is much less if I leave it until after 6pm.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Set a performance goal that you really care about. You’ll care more about the quality of the workouts when you see them as a stepping stoke towards a bigger goal.

I’d also recommend journaling, as it makes a lot more sense of what makes it easier/harder for you to get things done. For me personally I know that my odds of getting stuff done is much less if I leave it until after 6pm.

What all do you track in the journal Cill is it purely fitness metrics or ?

holdfast wrote: »
    Got a bad dose been lazy ass last night and tonight. Been a week where I have to force myself to train. Forced myself last night and give up the fight about 45mins ago. Maybe after six week of training I need a week off ??
    Sometimes taking a break like that makes me get more pumped about it afterwards. Finger crossed it will happen tomorrow. Either way I am not going to force it. Clean slate tomorrow, if I beat myself up about missing a session here or there. It will demotivate me more. Look at the positive you are keeping the habit going by even doing one exercise. Plus with that one exercise you are getting a benefit.
    You should be taking an easier weak every 4-6 weeks or so regardless. Just drop the volume down and stay well away from failure on all of your sets. You should be well recovered physically and should help mentally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Some good suggestions above, especially journals, set program to begin with. Here’s a daft suggestion: maybe you should mimic how you got to the gym pre lockdown. Mentally, getting in to the car and driving to the gym prepared you for the work out. If that’s how you got there. Or cycled, or whatever. Drive around the block with your gym bag, get out, go in to the house and straight to your weights. Sounds daft, but might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

Had the same issues with motivation. Started engaging the gf in strength workouts. Was pretty frank with her that it's more for my own motivation. She was up for helping out even though she's never been interested in strength work before and was mostly running/doing HIIT sessions.

Now i feel positively 'pressured' to do my best during our sessions cause if she's working hard i feel i have to as well. Helped me over the really bad slump right after Christmas and I'm starting to really enjoy it again. Could also be a seasonal mood disorder, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

BiggJim wrote: »
    What all do you track in the journal Cill is it purely fitness metrics or ?

Nah I have a separate training log book for that.

In this instance I'm actually talking about a journal for reflecting on the day etc. Not a 'dear diary' kinda thing, more like a few short lines assessing how the day went, how you could improve tomorrow, etc.

https://dailystoic.com/journaling/

Cill94 wrote: »
    Nah I have a separate training log book for that.

In this instance I'm actually talking about a journal for reflecting on the day etc. Not a 'dear diary' kinda thing, more like a few short lines assessing how the day went, how you could improve tomorrow, etc.

https://dailystoic.com/journaling/

I always think I'd just have a lot of "See yesterday" entries

I'd be very motivated from my teens, swam on the team at school, did martial arts etc and then the gym, never have an issue with motivation BUT I am this time. I have plenty of equipment even that my friends don't but it just feels like an ordeal, its weird but I'll just have to get over it I suppose.

In saying that even a bad day is 2 x hourly walks with a very energetic breed dog, so I'm still staying the same weight albeit missing some muscle tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Very hard to use the outdoor pull up bars, parallel bars etc in the local park due to the weather
    Used to do 4/5 sets before a 25 min run.

The weights in the shed are absolutely frozen to hold - not much incentive to use them

Also, get out in the sunshine. Your body needs it

• Advertisement

Very hard to use the outdoor pull up bars, parallel bars etc in the local park due to the weather
    Used to do 4/5 sets before a 25 min run.

The weights in the shed are absolutely frozen to hold - not much incentive to use them

Also, get out in the sunshine. Your body needs it

The sun has been in lockdown as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The sun has been in lockdown as well.

aint that the truth :(

I can't even remember what it was like to lie on a blanket in the sun. Lockdown will become much more tolerable when that's an option again.

Sitting right by a 7' x 7' window with the sun shining in. It's quite nice to be working with sun shining in like that.

It has felt like a grey pall has been hanging over everything for so long at this stage and while things aren't brilliant, the sunshine does make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Same here..I find even the days I wasnt in the mood once I got to the gym that stopped and I got stuck in. Dont have heavy weights, have bands etc. Am using my imagination but the intensity isn't there. I also know how much strength I lost last time round and how slow the build up was that half of me thinks whats the point in doing anything at home. Ill have to start from scratch when the gyms open again anyway.

But I have been trying. My gym are posting daily workouts. HIIT, BLT and yoga. I have been using free workouts I see on instagram and youtube. Anything really to get my heart rate up. Once I do that I pull out my bands and focus on one body part. Im been trying to do this 5 times per week and build those habits again.

jrosen wrote: »
    Same here..I find even the days I wasnt in the mood once I got to the gym that stopped and I got stuck in. Dont have heavy weights, have bands etc. Am using my imagination but the intensity isn't there. I also know how much strength I lost last time round and how slow the build up was that half of me thinks whats the point in doing anything at home. Ill have to start from scratch when the gyms open again anyway.

But I have been trying. My gym are posting daily workouts. HIIT, BLT and yoga. I have been using free workouts I see on instagram and youtube. Anything really to get my heart rate up. Once I do that I pull out my bands and focus on one body part. Im been trying to do this 5 times per week and build those habits again.

I'm in the same boat except I had a 25kg sandbag along with the bands. Don't underestimate what you can do with them. Think of it as an extended hypertrophy phase so that you're ready to go into strength. Mentally it makes it easier to think of what you do as part of a bigger picture.

Managed to set a bench PR between lockdown 1 and 2. Wasn't far off my high bar max in the same time frame (though I have a hip issue that got worse over the lockdown).

Having a programme and a habit will do more than you might give it credit for.

Just plot out a programme of exercises that you have at hand rather than trying to think of things on the fly when you do take out the bands. You'll do more as well.

If there are any areas you're struggling for ideas to work with the bands just shout and maybe I or someone else will be able to give some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's always easy to find an excuse when you are at home, I've been there. I've young kids, they have to be schooled at home, have to work as well, and keep the house in shape. Not easy finding time these days. But I haven't skipped a workout in 12 months unless I was under the weather.

I find that having a good interesting workout helps, having no distractions, and committing to the same time and days of the week really helps. I workout Mon, Wed and Thur at 11pm and on Sunday at 2pm. During the week the kids are in bed and on the weekends they are mostly doing something somewhere that gives me time. I have an app where I keep track of my progress and that is a real motivator, you can follow progress on the graphs and it is nice when you look at the calendar overview and you see consistent dots from when you worked out.

There are days when I have no motivation to do it, but I always go down stairs and get changed, and once changed I get stuck in. I always remind myself that I have not once regretted working out and that alone helps me get through the days when I am not up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some great suggestions in this thread - the whole idea of not relying on motivation and instead focus on routine/discipline are particularly useful.

I would second that the weekly emails/tweets from James Clear can be good

This thread from Reddit a few weeks back has really stuck with me and use it as a daily reminder - https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/kk7ueu/lpt_exercise_when_you_dont_want_to/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I will not follow my own programming/random plans on internet so I get online programming from one of the coaches at my gym. We've a few bits of equipment rented from them.

My husband jumped in on this and 1 1/2 months in we refuse to do the workouts alone as it's just misery or you end up not quite doing all the sets. Also the fact that we have to report back what we did helps.

We are very lucky that our son can entertain himself for the time that we are training.

Everything feels heavier/more difficult in this lockdown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

jester77 wrote: »
    There are days when I have no motivation to do it, but I always go down stairs and get changed, and once changed I get stuck in. I always remind myself that I have not once regretted working out and that alone helps me get through the days when I am not up for it.

Have to agree here. I've never regretted working out and I always feel better afterwards. Motivation doesn't really play into it, it's just habit and discipline I suppose.

Advertisement