Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those stupid immersion jokes

Options
  • 13-02-2021 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

They are exclusive to Ireland and make no f***ing sense given that there’s a thermal cutoff switch on the immersion that’ll trip if left on. It’s not going to cost you anymore, just the inconvenience of finding a pencil to reset it.

So why do people in Ireland keep repeating it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

i am i wish ( i fink )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Michael Gove is in an Orphan, how come not one Irish person has honestly respected that fact? It cannot have been easy for him?

Why are we always so quick to judge British people of our own generation? I think it is really lazy?

I find this a great failing in the modern Irish mind? It is lazy to assume that contemporary Brits are chunts?

Surely that is a failing, or at best a poor excuse at diplomacy?

I used to have day ( and night ) dreams about kissing Ciara Knightly... I really want her .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Michael Gove is in an Orphan, how come not one Irish person has honestly respected that fact? It cannot have been easy for him?

Why are we always so quick to judge British people of our own generation? I think it is really lazy?

I find this a great failing in the modern Irish mind? It is lazy to assume that contemporary Brits are chunts?

I used to have day ( and night ) dreams about kissing Ciara Knightly... I really want her .

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You were trying to be so sarcastic , you misspelt the object of your affection ??
    Keira ....... (or has she a sister, Ciara? Keira and Ciara... How unusual)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0461136/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

They are exclusive to Ireland and make no f***ing sense given that there’s a thermal cutoff switch on the immersion that’ll trip if left on. It’s not going to cost you anymore, just the inconvenience of finding a pencil to reset it.

Not if your stat is broken!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

came here expecting jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I wish this was always the case. There was a problem with ours and we left it on by mistake one day. Came home and the house was full of steam and water had pooled in the sitting room downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Pffffft. Leaving the immersion on is nothing.

The pump in our well failed when we went on honeymoon for 3 weeks and it ran constantly.

Cost me about 500 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It costs money when left on, once the tank is heated there's no need to leave it on.

• Advertisement

Trip or stop heating?
    So if you went on holidays for a week and left it on, surely it would turn back on when it went below a certain temperature, or does it actually fully trip every time it reaches the designated temperature.

Hey you started it

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Two immersions walk into a bar and order 3 large whiskeys,
    One immersions says to the other."Why did you order 3 whiskeys?"
    sorry, i cant finish the joke, i need to rush home cause i left the immersion on:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wasn't the gag to do with how much things cost , ?
    Or at least the perception of how much things cost ...
    An un-insulated cylinder, the immersion left on , equals cost ...
    Like your dad going round turning off all the lights ,and ending up being ridiculous ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

F*ck the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I haven't heard any jokes.here.or in UK.
    I have heard the anecdotes around the anxiety they caused Irish households.
    We used to be screwed on electricity costs.
    A little knowledge was dangerous, so to see the electric meter wheel spinning at speeds never seen before, represented money being scraped from a near empty pocket.
    They also had poor insulation system, so one vould feel the heat passing the hotpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

F*ck the immersion.

Fcuk the cistern

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No working cut-off on our one when I was growing up, you'd swear the attic was going to explode after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

An English, Scots, and Welsh immersion went into a bar. It was a heated conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I used to live in an apartment where the heating element had some sort of design flaw where the thermal cut off would fail after 3 or 4 months of use. Nothing worse than waking up to a full tank of boiling hot AND cold water.

When the hot tank hits boiling point it has an emergency overflow into the cold tank which eventually because boiling too. Boiling water in the hot, cold taps in the bathroom, cistern full of boiling water, the shower a torture device too.

Disaster (best pronounced in a Dundalk accent).

So you can imagine the anxiety levels if you happen to accidentally switch that on during the day and leave it unattended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Shiny wrote: »
    So you can imagine the anxiety levels if you happen to accidentally switch that on during the day and leave it unattended.

It wouldn't take long to drain the cold water (best not pronounced in a Dundalk accent) tank and let it refill.

I'd say the immersion joke was funny the first time Des Bishop ever used it - in a "haha, that's just like our house" kind of way. That was a long time ago though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Michael Gove was sent to the orphanage because he left the immersion on!
    It was not easy for his parents who had to pay the bill:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Get a thermostat, and leave it on.

My immersion is on 24/7 and my electricity bills are less than when I had it on a timer..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Andrea B. wrote: »
    I haven't heard any jokes.here.or in UK.
    I have heard the anecdotes around the anxiety they caused Irish households.
    We used to be screwed on electricity costs.
    A little knowledge was dangerous, so to see the electric meter wheel spinning at speeds never seen before, represented money being scraped from a near empty pocket.
    They also had poor insulation system, so one vould feel the heat passing the hotpress.

We used to have the cheapest electricity in Europe when ESB had a monopoly. In order to encourage competition the price was increased to some of the highest in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Del2005 wrote: »
    It costs money when left on, once the tank is heated there's no need to leave it on.

Its switches off when it reaches the set temperatures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

greenspurs wrote: »
    You were trying to be so sarcastic , you misspelt the object of your affection ??
    His brain is turning to putty. He must have been beat up by one of those hookers he sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Careful with that joke, it's an antique.

It's the mother in law joke of this generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Tzardine wrote: »
    Pffffft. Leaving the immersion on is nothing.

The pump in our well failed when we went on honeymoon for 3 weeks and it ran constantly.

Cost me about 500 quid.

how did you know it was on all the time ?
    and was it still pumping water or just eating power.

might have same problem ta

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nevermind the immersion....did you put the cat out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I still don't really know what an immersion is, never lived in a house that lived one, as far as I know. But yes Irish comedy seems to be based around it, whatever it is.

Advertisement