Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best takeaway for weight loss?

• 13-02-2021 12:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭

Myself and the wife like to get the odd takeaway but we're both in the process of losing weight. Just curious what would be the best option for takeaway in this scenario. As I understand it Chinese foods are very fattening due to the GMOs etc added.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

BiggJim wrote: »
    Myself and the wife like to get the odd takeaway but we're both in the process of losing weight. Just curious what would be the best option for takeaway in this scenario. As I understand it Chinese foods are very fattening due to the GMOs etc added.

I think Mao have calorie count on their menu. They don't deliver out my way any more but they used to and their food was very good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

I think Mao have calorie count on their menu. They don't deliver out my way any more but they used to and their food was very good!

Is this a chain or just a Dublin based restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Camille thai have some low calorie options if you have one near you.

Chinese sauces in takeaways have a lot of oil. If you are having a Chinese a stir fry type dish is better. Beef in black bean or black pepper is better than a Chinese curry. Just go very easy on the rice as the portions are very large. And no chips.

Thai stir frys would tend to have less thick sauces so would be better.

Japanese would also be an option that tends to be better. I love sushi myself but not to everyone's taste.

Some nicer kebab places do meals instead of the kebab. So you can have rice instead of the bread and less sauce. There is a place near me that does it and I have the chicken and salad with a smaller portion of rice.

Tandoori as well is fairly good if you have an Indian near you. Chapatti or roti with it instead of naan. They taste amazing but are very fattening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

Camille thai have some low calorie options if you have one near you.

Chinese sauces in takeaways have a lot of oil. If you are having a Chinese a stir fry type dish is better. Beef in black bean or black pepper is better than a Chinese curry. Just go very easy on the rice as the portions are very large. And no chips.

Thai stir frys would tend to have less thick sauces so would be better.

Japanese would also be an option that tends to be better. I love sushi myself but not to everyone's taste.

Some nicer kebab places do meals instead of the kebab. So you can have rice instead of the bread and less sauce. There is a place near me that does it and I have the chicken and salad with a smaller portion of rice.

Great thanks, never even considered Japanese. There's a sushi place here that would definitely be an option for tomorrow night. Will also split a starter and desert as opposed to one each (although the wife isn't as keen on dieting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm probably not answering your question directly but my advise is have whatever you want. Picking one type over the other is a tallest dwarf competition - none of the options are that great - even sushi.

Order sparingly - like once a week but you need to consider all food and drink to be linked. Once a week takeaway shouldn't derail your goals but if that once a week treat is in addition to sweets / booze at other times then of course you'll make no progress.
    You'll need to account for the calories eaten in that takeaway so I'd recommend that you don't horse into it - main course only type thing - no gourmet 4 course specials. Ultimately you are trying to take in less calories than you are burning leading to weight loss.

You should be able to make progress with 1 takeaway every so often provided the rest of your eating/drinking is decent and in line with your goals

think overall eating rather than specific meals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have this blind faith in sushi being the best option, am I completely misguided?

I usually get Salmon & Avocado roll, Salmon Nigiri and then a Dragon Roll which contains tempura prawn which is obviously a little less healthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's rare you can answer a question with a simple 'yes', but in this case, 'yes', sushi probably is the best option.

You could eat quite a bit of salmon roll, sashimi and ngiri and you would be satiated well before you hit the same calorie count as in a pizza, indian, chinese, burger and chips etc.

The macros are also far better with sushi.

If I were to think of another option, I would mention trying to do something like a burrito in a bowl, or perhaps an Indian mixed tandoori grill and try to have a 1/2 portion of what rice and naan you would usually eat.

In general if you are eating clean the rest of the week then personally I also just wouldn't stress too much about it. If you are training and your calorie intake is down across the week as a whole then you can keep your takeaway once a week. Of course it's not ideal but train/eat to live, not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I have this blind faith in sushi being the best option, am I completely misguided?

I usually get Salmon & Avocado roll, Salmon Nigiri and then a Dragon Roll which contains tempura prawn which is obviously a little less healthy.

Sorry I didn't mean to demonise sushi, it's pretty decent but depends how it's made. some places will add things too it. And ,of course, how much you eat.
    But it would be up there with the better (or best) option.

burritos are a well balanced meal - once you don't add a heap of sauce etc..
    much as I love a burrito or the bowl option (if you want, i don't personally)

But if you are getting a takeaway - get what you want and balance the rest of the week with calories and good food - I think is the best option cos it allows you foods you really want and still stay on track.

nothing worse than deciding to treat yourself to some faint hearted compromise ..I mean is there anything more soul destroying?

reminds me of years ago - the cauliflower pizza base craze amongst fitness people. That isn't pizza :confused: if anything it would make me eat even more sh1te. But whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BiggJim wrote: »
    As I understand it Chinese foods are very fattening due to the GMOs etc added.

GMOs have nothing to do with why takeaways are bad for weight loss.
    No cuisine will be inherently good either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I didn’t give up my Friday night Indian when loosing weight, instead of stuffing myself with a Madras, rice & garlic Nan, I just had the Nan with approximately a third of the madras & rice, had the remaining madras & rice, following evening,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You could eat quite a bit of salmon roll, sashimi and ngiri and you would be satiated well before you hit the same calorie count as in a pizza, indian, chinese, burger and chips etc.

The macros are also far better with sushi.
    Sushi isn’t bad for a snack.
    But I you could put away a huge amount of calories if you tucked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I didn’t give up my Friday night Indian when loosing weight, instead of stuffing myself with a Madras, rice & garlic Nan, I just had the Nan with approximately a third of the madras & rice, had the remaining madras & rice, following evening,

RIP your Nan

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

We tried going for healthier take aways in the past, but found that it just makes me feel less satisfied and would be more likely to end up binge eating.

You need to balance your health eating with enjoying your food.

We now get one takeaway a week and eat whatever we want. An Indian curry, tray of rice each and a bit of nan and a can of coke. So many calories, but so worth it and I just make sure to look at my calories in the grander scale over the week. So I cut down a little extra during the week to make up for it.

Half a dominos pizza and a portion of chicken sides isn't that bad, same with most of the meals from Mao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I think just get what you crave and build that into your diet. If you start restricting your treat too much it stops being a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Watch out as some takeaways tell total lies about their calorie content, stating it is way lower than it really is.

They might get it tested by 3rd party companies so must be sending out tiny portions to be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshine2018

Dominos do a delight pizza that’s about 650 calories which it tasty and you can keep well inside your calorie count for the day - it’s small but I find it more than enough - often follow with a bit of halo ice cream - take away and dessert for under 1000 cals. I understand the advice to have what you want but for me that doesn’t work - I’m better when I keep on track

Dominos do a delight pizza that’s about 650 calories which it tasty and you can keep well inside your calorie count for the day - it’s small but I find it more than enough - often follow with a bit of halo ice cream - take away and dessert for under 1000 cals. I understand the advice to have what you want but for me that doesn’t work - I’m better when I keep on track

Yeah that's the same with me. I would rather just go a bit above what I would usually have rather then a load more calories for the sake of one meal.

Different for different people.

Advertisement