Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Live in Knockananna co Wicklow hopefully should do okay

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

I'm not too hopeful being in north coastal Dublin. All the showers missed me today, but apparently friends in Balbriggan had non stop snowball fights today. I'm definitely not at all jealous(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

heffoo wrote: »
    Live in Knockananna co Wicklow hopefully should do okay

That far inland in Wicklow you have a better chance than most I would say. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The 18Z ICON barely has any snow making it past a line from Mullingar to Dublin tomorrow night. It has more of a focus on Saturday now. It also has a mixed bag of almost all weather types possible; rain, snow, freezing rain (red) and even thunderstorms (pink)!

giphy.gif

The latest models indicate Friday night and Saturday morning show could be disruptive for places.

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    That far inland in Wicklow you have a better chance than most I would say. Good luck!

Its also got lots of height and adjacent to higher
    Along with Aughavanagh and Sally Gap its in Wicklows top 5 snowiest locations

• Advertisement

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Beautiful pic
    We've had ice anywhere sheltered all day too in sth wicklow ,never thawed
    I notice a lot of the Davis stations up your way were below freezing again well before dark

Yea this morning was down to -6C in places. Seen one station showing -9C in Derry but how correct that was don't know. Between -1C and -4C in Donegal already.

BBC Northern Ireland going for a significant fall of snow on Saturday morning

https://twitter.com/newslineweather/status/1359616129161957384

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

HARMONIE numbers @ 6am Friday

Swords 2cm.
    Dundrum 5cm
    BlackBriars gaff 4cm
    Villian aka 'Grapple's' snow shed 9cm
    JS 0.2cm
    Oneiric's chateau 5cm

18z gfs for saturday certainly puts the cat in with the pigeons

GFSOPUK18_66_53.png

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Its also got lots of height and adjacent to higher
    Along with Aughavanagh and Sally Gap its in Wicklows top 5 snowiest locations

Aunty knows their stuff 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Tomorrow's fronts are fairly ill-defined out to the southwest. Currently some deep convection forming along or behind part of one front but this will fizzle out before reaching the south tomorrow morning. The surface charts look very different. The FAX forecasts have those fronts really stalling until Saturday.

giphy.gif

ukmo_nat_fax_2021021018_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My station right now in Arklow

Impressive. Dew point temp got down as low as -7.5c at the met eireann climate station in Arklow earlier:

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/20210210u9et4gmm4ee6zd9pyyb96smhow

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Funny how we all got invested in this thread because of the chance of snow from an eastely and we now end up getting it from the west. Shows what can change in a few days

18z gfs for saturday certainly puts the cat in with the pigeons

Looks oddly like the charts the models were showing earlier in the week for tomorrow, and we know how that turned out.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

My dewpoint in Arklow is touching -7c now
    51% humidity
    Wind now gone ESE gusting 35kmh
    Fascinating with the wind off the sea,So Rare
    It augers well for the snow!
    Airtemp is 1.8c

The sea temp of 8c isn't able to do much

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Impressive. Dew point temp got down as low as -7.5c at the met eireann climate station in Arklow earlier:

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/20210210u9et4gmm4ee6zd9pyyb96smhow

That station is actually closer to the sea than mine,its about 1km from the beach
    Its located about 6kms Northeast of me beside the Arklow Rugby club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Yea this morning was down to -6C in places. Seen one station showing -9C in Derry but how correct that was don't know. Between -1C and -4C in Donegal already.

-9c not a chance. We had a streamers overnight

Cw85 wrote: »
    Funny how we all got invested in this thread because of the chance of snow from an eastely and we now end up getting it from the west. Shows what can change in a few days

But it would be rain from the west without the Easterly :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME 18Z rolling out, now showing more an emphasis with falls in Galway, S Mayo, Roscommon, Tipp, parts of Offaly and Laois and some other parts of the midlands. S Kerry, E and N Cork, Waterford and Killkenny all featuring well. Clare, parts of limerick and Wexford also.

anim_dfa2.gif

anim_zsi2.gif

anim_yvc4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

AROME 18Z rolling out, now showing more an emphasis with falls in Galway, S Mayo, Roscommon, Tipp, parts of Offaly and Laois and some other parts of the midlands. S Kerry, E and N Cork, Waterford and Killkenny all featuring well. Clare, parts of limerick and Wexford also.

anim_dfa2.gif

anim_zsi2.gif

anim_yvc4.gif

Does the Shannon act as a snowshield in Limerick City or is it the lower altitude which results in lower snowfall generally compared to other parts of Limerick?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

American models still quite light tomorrow apart from high ground. Plenty of precipitation accumulations in the S.

anim_bih8.gif

nmm_uk1-25-36-4_lya3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Snowbie wrote: »
    Weather forecast done for tomorrow if anyone is interested. I reckon this has upgraded over previous runs. South midlands at risk of highest totals. Fridays event into Saturday morning, Ulster and N Leinster most at risk for now.

https://youtu.be/-FO7MRsCxpE

Really excellent detailed forecast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Looks kind of marginal in the southern half tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dublin's latest TAF has absolutely no mention of any precipitation at all until midnight tomorrow night.

TAF EIDW 102300Z 1100/1124 11014KT 9999 FEW020 SCT040
    TEMPO 1103/1105 11016G27KT
    BECMG 1105/1107 12019G32KT
    TEMPO 1113/1121 12022G37KT=

My head's spinning after reading Cork's... Still a bit more of a snowy slant up to mid-afternoon now, with SNRA rather than RASN.

TAF EICK 102300Z 1100/1124 12020G30KT 9999 FEW020 BKN030
    BECMG 1105/1107 12025G40KT
    BECMG 1105/1107 4000 -RASN BKN008
    TEMPO 1107/1121 2500 -RASN BKN003
    PROB40 TEMPO 1107/1121 1500 RASN
    PROB30 TEMPO 1107/1112 0800 SNRA
    PROB40 TEMPO 1112/1115 0800 SNRA
    BECMG 1120/1122 12020G30KT
    TEMPO 1121/1124 2500 -RADZ BKN004=

Those dew point temps moving into south Connacht on Meteorite's chart above look to be closer to be in sleet/cold rain territory than snow.

New Moon

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

The Shannon estuary and Cratloe may have a factor and even the Dingle peninsula, then you've the higher terrain in North Clare shielding it from the North West

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    Does the Shannon act as a snowshield in Limerick City or is it the lower altitude which results in lower snowfall generally compared to other parts of Limerick?

I'd imagine what the AROME is showing is snow accumulations on hilly ground like the area in the Map below.

kzxgkYB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

My dewpoint in Arklow is touching -7c now
    51% humidity
    Wind now gone ESE gusting 35kmh
    Fascinating with the wind off the sea,So Rare
    It augers well for the snow!
    Airtemp is 1.8c

The sea temp of 8c isn't able to do much
    You always did get very low Dp there, impressive.

Is Croghan close to you? Are you on the downslope or close by etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Every chart now is chipping away at the amount of snow we'll get. I've already had a massive 4cm of snow this winter. I don't think I can take another 2cm without a snow shovel.

Advertisement