Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar Presents: The Very 1st TV Walrus REVEAL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Once again I don't know any of the shows so far.

Sure I didn't even know my show that well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Once again I don't know any of the shows so far.

Sure I didn't even know my show that well :pac:

Comedy clearly not one of your favourite genres I'm guessing... :D

In 4th with 11 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Schitt's Creek

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3526078/
    IMDB wrote:
    When rich video-store magnate Johnny Rose and his family suddenly find themselves broke, they are forced to leave their pampered lives to regroup in Schitt's Creek.

VhjfEHDl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes
    Episode 1 Rating: 8.8
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.6
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 94%

Episode 1: "Our Cup Runneth Over"
    Some of you may be aware that I'm a huge Schitt's Creek fan, and I genuinely adore this show, although it does take awhile to hit its stride, and while I'd probably rate most of the episodes in the later seasons high 9's or a full 10, quite a few of the earlier episodes aren't quite there yet. That said, this episode sets up the premise really well and I always enjoyed the characters from the very beginning… except for maybe Roland. Really enjoyed it and I'm always happy to revisit Schitt's Creek.

Episode 2: "The Drip"
    Maybe the earlier episodes are a lot better than I remembered, because I thought this one was already quite a step up from the first episode, and adds a bit more depth to a bunch of shallow characters. It lacks a lot of the heart and sincerity that the later seasons bring to the table, but the writing is solid and everyone is already playing their parts to perfection, so works very well.

Episode 3: "Don't Worry, It's His Sister"
    Another really great one, it plays to everyone's strengths, and there's some great laughs in none of the locals seeing a problem with the town sign. Everything is starting to settle in and the cast are definitely getting more comfortable and having a bit more fun with it, especially Katherine O'Hara who really gets to let loose a lot more in this episode.

Final Thoughts:
    There's probably episodes later in the first season that aren't quite at the standard of the rest of the series, but these first few are a lot of fun. I was already planning to start a re-watch of Schitt's Creek (even though it only ended last year) because I love the show, so it's a no-brainer that I'll be keeping up with this one.

Which leaves us with our Top and Bottom 3, one of whom has put forward my least favourite show of the entire tournament...

Sweating it out...

(in alphabetical order)

cee_jay
    Electric Nitwit
    Hello 2D Person Below
    JP Liz V1
    Sawduck
    ShaneU

In 11th with 3 points is
    JP Liz V1

The Mindy Project

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2211129/
    IMDB wrote:
    A young Ob/Gyn doctor balances her personal and professional life, surrounded by quirky co-workers in a small office.

fms20X8l.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No
    Episode 1 Rating: 4.2
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.1
    Episode 3 Rating: 8.3
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 71%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    I've always been on the fence about Mindy Kaling as an actor, I really only know her as a side character on The Office, where she is mostly inconsequential and really only gets a couple of lines of dialogue every so often, but if I had to rank all of the characters of The Office, she'd probably be my least favourite, and I really struggled to warm to her character here on this show ; whatever about being a supporting player in a large ensemble, she's certainly no lead. She was also on the writing staff of The Office and scripted her fair share of episodes, so she's obviously a talented writer, but I didn't find this particularly funny or interesting. There's a couple of good jokes, but nothing spectacular, and I really didn't get a sense of what the show is or wants to be. The only two who get more than a couple of lines here are Mindy herself and Chris Messina's character, Danny. Messina is the diamond in the rough of this pilot, the best lines come from him, and although the character is an assh*le he plays it well. It's no awful, but it's a bit of a mess, and I'm hoping it'll sort itself out a bit before the next episode.

Episode 2: "Hiring and Firing"
    This felt like a completely different show. The first episode was a hot mess, but this was a coherent, enjoyable, very funny episode of television. I've warmed to Mindy Kaling completely after this, her rom-com airhead schtick really works for me here, and in general the cast are really enjoyable. Although I'm not mad about Ed Weeks, he just comes across as a token stiff upper lip budget Hugh Grant-esque type character, and feels out of place. He doesn't get a whole lot of screentime thankfully, but his scenes do drag the episode down for me a bit.

Episode 3: "In The Club"
    Because the first episode was such a mess, and the second episode worked better as an introduction to the show, doing a work night out episode when the character dynamics and relationships weren't really established yet, felt like a bit of a pre-mature follow up to me. This episode needed more of the workplace setting, maybe focused more on Morgan settling into the job or something. Speaking of Morgan, Ike Bairnholtz was the MVP of this episode, and his addition to the cast in the second episode is what elevated the show so much for me. That said, I really did enjoy the episode, reminded me a lot of various work nights out I've had myself over the years, I just wish I knew these characters a bit better before getting an episode like this.

Final Thoughts:
    This kind of feels like it could grow into a show I really love, it just happened to stumble out of the gate, and there are a couple of teething issues, but it kind of reminds me a bit of Cougar Town which took a few episodes to find its footing and settle on what kind of show it wanted to be, but once it figured itself out, it was fantastic, and I'm getting similar vibes from this, so gonna keep watching it to see how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In 3rd with 12 points is
    Sawduck

My Name Is Earl

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460091/
    IMDB wrote:
    A ne'er do well wins $100,000 in the lottery and decides to right all the wrongs from his past with his newfound realization.

3qjjrfUl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 97.6%

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    Was a huge fan of this show when it first aired, and absolutely loved the concept. I was 18 at the time, so I understood what karma was, but it's because of My Name Is Earl that I actually embraced the concept, and it's been working out for me pretty well ever since, so I guess you could say the show played an important part in making me who I am. It's a solid pilot, introduces the premise and all of the characters really well, and it's easy to become immediately invested in the show, because it's so relatable.

Episode 2: "Quit Smoking"
    Another great episode, really enjoyed it. Love all the cast in this, but think Ethan Suplee is especially fantastic as Randy, who is one of my favourite comedy characters, and he bounces off the other characters so well. As a Prison Break fan, it was also great to have Silas Weir Mitchell as a guest star for this episode, the scenes with him were particularly great.

Episode 3: "Randy's Touchdown"
    A solid episode for the main cast, who can occasionally fall into the background a bit when there's a guest character that needs to be crossed off Earl's list, but since it was Randy's name on the list this week, there wasn't a need to introduce new characters meaning more screen-time for the regulars, and a re-appearance for Kenny, who I remember being a fairly regular recurring character. Really liked the side-plot with Joy and Darnell here too. Any episode where Randy gets to be the hero though, is always gonna be a favourite of mine.

Final Thoughts:
    This is another one I had been intending to do a re-watch of at some point in the foreseeable future anyway, so glad to get the kickstart and looking forward to revisiting the remainder of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I was getting worried there for a moment, it's one of my favourite comedy shows ever, glad you liked it too

Being top of the overall leaderboard starting to look like it comes with a curse...

In 12th with 2 points is
    ShaneU

Russian Doll

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7520794/
    IMDB wrote:
    A cynical young woman in New York City keeps dying and returning to the party that's being thrown in her honor on that same evening. She tries to find a way out of this strange time loop.

DeGm0kFl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 6.5
    Episode 2 Rating: 7
    Episode 3 Rating: 5.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 64.6%

Episode 1: "Nothing In The World Is Easy"
    I only half watched this before, think I had it on in the background one day while I was focused on something else, so I don't really remember much beyond the basic premise, and I'm not sure how many episodes I had actually watched (I don't think I finished the season anyway). Bit of a slow burn, and it's a bit light on the actual comedy side of things. I do enjoy time loops, but it can take some time to set up that premise, and I feel that's probably the case here, as it really only feels like it's starting to hit its stride by the end of the episode. I like Natasha Lyonne, and her comic timing can be amazing, so it's got all the right ingredients to go from enjoyable enough to something great, it's just not there yet.

Episode 2: "The Great Escape"
    More loops makes things a bit more fun, but the pacing is still a bit off ; the middle part of the episode has some good momentum, lots of loops, lots of comedy, but the first ten minutes and the final ten minutes move along at a snail's pace and get a bit bogged down in the details. I do very much enjoy the way Lyonne pronounces "cockroach" though, found that more amusing than I was probably supposed to.

Episode 3: "A Warm Body"
    Lots of relationship drama, very little comedy, and it does drag a bit, but I thought the final ten minutes or so were really good, and saved it a bit for me. Great twist at the very end, which progressed the story in a big way, it would've been nice if it hadn't taken so long to get there. It almost felt like they knew how they wanted to end episode three, but didn't have enough material to fill all the space prior to that, so you kind of have to wade through a fair bit of bullsh*t before the ball really starts rolling.

Final Thoughts:
    I'm curious to see where it goes, the ending of episode three definitely adds an interesting element that has piqued my interest as I really don't remember anything that's going on. Despite it being a bit slow at times, it's managed to get my attention enough to continue watching and seeing where it all goes.

In 2nd with 13 points is
    cee_jay

Fleabag

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5687612/
    IMDB wrote:
    A comedy series adapted from the award-winning play about a young woman trying to cope with life in London whilst coming to terms with a recent tragedy.

C5E8nzAl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 9.9
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.7
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.9
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 98.3%

Episode 1: "Episode 1"
    I had been putting off watching Fleabag, because I had heard so much great things about it that I was certain it could never live up the the expectations and would only disappoint me, so I continued to put it on the long finger, but this is without a doubt the kind of dark humour that I'm a huge fan of. I love the fourth wall breaking style and the non-linear storytelling, there were more than a few laugh out loud moments (usually I do my laughing on the inside, so out loud is a great sign), and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is superb. Safe to say it exceeded my expectations.

Episode 2: "Episode 2"
    I just realised the main character hasn't been named yet, so I think I'm just supposed to call her Fleabag. Anyway, Fleabag is an assh*le, but I kind of love how much of a sh*t she is. Any of the scenes with her and Harry were amazing here. Didn't think it was strong as the first episode was, but still very very good overall.

Episode 3: "Episode 3"
    Yay, Bus Rodent is back. Aside from Fleabag herself, he was the best thing about the first episode, so I'm glad to see he wasn't a one episode wonder. Just looked up who played him and it's Jamie Demetriou who is the brother of Natasia Demetriou from What We Do In The Shadows, who is amazing, so that seems like a fun family (and I just spotted they're both in a Channel 4 sitcom called Stath Lets Flats, which I'll have to check out). The episode was on a par with the first episode, some very funny moment and amazing awkward interactions.

Final Thoughts:
    A really well written show, really enjoying it, and will be watching the rest of the series once this Walrus has concluded.

• Advertisement

Which only leaves Electric Nitwit and Hello 2D Person Below

Prior to this round 2D was confident that the show I disliked the most wouldn't be his, while Nitwit was worried and claimed his wife was less than impressed by the show he submitted...

Could it be that they've predicted their fates correctly or will someone will be doubly disappointed by my next post...

Utterly inconceivable that I came last.

Inconceivable apparently, but that's the way the cookie crumbled on this occasion...

I do feel bad, and am really am very sorry for being so cutthroat with this one, but everyone who's taken part in my previous Walruses will know I'm not one to pull any punches...
    :(

In last place with 1 point is
    Deleted User

Chappelle's Show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353049/
    IMDB wrote:
    Comedian Dave Chappelle hosts this sketch-comedy show that parodies many of the nuances of race and culture.

XIxRsNUl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 0.6
    Episode 2 Rating: 0.3
    Episode 3 Rating: 0.1
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 3.3%

Episode 1: "Popcopy & Clayton Bigsby"
    Sketch comedy can be very hit and miss and the majority of this just didn't work for me at all. A big part of it could be due to the fact that what I've seen of Dave Chappelle's stand-up I haven't found to be in the slightest bit funny. I've heard people rave about how great this show is and how great Chappelle is as a comedian, but I don't get the appeal, I think he's more than a bit of an assh*le, and his style of comedy is just not for me. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, with the remaining two episodes, but I won't get my hopes up.

Episode 2: "Tyrone Biggums At School & Wrap It Up Box"
    The "comedy" was worse than last time, didn't find any of it even mildly amusing, and was mostly just waiting for it to be over. There was a musical act at the end with Mos Def, and that was the only part that was in any way bearable.

Episode 3: "Zapped & It's A Wonderful Chest"
    Nah, this just really isn't my kind of thing at all. Painful viewing from start to finish.

Final Thoughts:
    As I've said many time, Comedy is subjective, and I just didn't enjoy this at all. Tried to come up with something I liked in just about every show I watched, but this was the biggest struggle for me to find any positives for. There are certain comedians I just can't stand and Dave Chappelle is one of them.

UnsightlySpeedyBasenji-max-1mb.gif

Tell your wife I said she is wrong and you were not only right, but knocked it out of the park... :D

In 1st with 14 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Coupling

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0237123/
    IMDB wrote:
    Six best friends talk about all aspects of sex and relationships on their never-ending quest to find true love.

phhZqvBl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 10
    Episode 2 Rating: 10
    Episode 3 Rating: 10
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 100%

Episode 1: "Flushed"
    I f**king adore Coupling, it's criminal just how underrated and underappreciated (yes it would've been my dealer's choice for the previous round had it not being submitted into the Walrus) this amazing series is. People actually have the audacity to refer to this masterpiece as "the British equivalent to Friends" which is like comparing a Van Gogh original to a pre-schoolers finger painting. And I realise that I've made references to Friends during both the Sign-Ups and my write up of Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip, that might lead someone to believe that I hate Friends, which isn't the case, it's fine (its continued popularity annoys me though and for those who had initially wanted to submit it for the '90s category, it would not have done well with me, in case you were still wondering), but to suggest it's even on the same level as Coupling is an insult. Coupling was created and written by Steven Moffat, and being a fan of his era on Doctor Who is what led me to checking out Coupling many years ago. It's very clever, very funny, and the cast are amazing. This episode is genius, there's a lot of big laughs in it, and a very creative way to introduce and bring all of the characters together.

Episode 2: "Size Matters"
    Another perfect episode (not that I'm surprised), the writing is superb, and the cast are all so likeable. I know I talk about pacing a lot in these write-ups, but good pacing is really important to me in a TV show, and Coupling has got it ; it's on the ball the jokes come consistently and everything is given the right amount of time to breathe, but is never dragged out, which is all the more important when it comes to comedies.

Episode 3: "Sex, Death & Nudity"
    Full marks for Coupling, as three out of three obtain full marks. There's nothing about these three episodes that I didn't thoroughly enjoy, it's just a joy to watch, all the characters are great, they all have some amazing lines and each have their moments to shine. I have nothing else to add that I haven't said already, it's just a brilliant show, with sharp writing, and all the cast have great comic timing.

Final Thoughts:
    I consistently had a massive smile on my face while watching these episodes, with a few outbursts of laughter sprinkled in there for good measure. Easily one of my favourite comedies and I'm glad I get to review it for this Walrus, and hopefully some people who haven't seen it before will now be convinced to give it a shot.

UnsightlySpeedyBasenji-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Glad I'm not alone in my dislike of Dave Chapelle.
    Neither his jokes nor the way he presents them appeal to me. . . like, at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Haven't seen Coupling but I'm told I'd like it. Someone told me once it was the British Friends actually now that you mention it LeVar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Fleabag

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5687612/

A really well written show, really enjoying it, and will be watching the rest of the series once this Walrus has concluded.

Yay... I don't do much pure comedy, but I love this. Last thing I saw in a cinema before 'you know what', was the NT Live Show that started it.

And you have
    sexy priest
    to look forward to... if that's your thing ;) It was for Paloma Faith :D :eek :D

Despite being a big contender for the overall win earlier on in the game, two back-to-back disastrous rounds sees Hello 2D Person Below tumbling down the table, which cee_jay returns to her perch at the top after a couple of rounds away, and after a belter of a round, a dumbfounded Electric Nitwit currently finds himself only two points off the lead in second place, but a slew of contenders are well within striking distance, with a final regular round of play, and two game-changing bonus rounds yet to come...

At the other end of things there are a few stragglers struggling to keep up, but who knows what could happen yet...

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    cee_jay 13 6 13 11 3 6 13 65
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 10 7 9 9 14 63
    Alfred Borden 10 10 6 12 13 1 9 61
    SineadSpears 5 3 11 9 12 14 6 60
    ShaneU 14 1 12 11 11 8 2 59
    Sawduck 9 7 9 8 4 10 12 59
    JohnGreenFan 7 11 4 5 7 13 11 58
    Necro 2 4 14 14 1 12 10 57
    JP Liz V1 11 12 2 7 14 5 3 54
    Hello 2D Person Below 7 14 7 13 6 2 1 50
    the purple tin 12 9 8 1 10 3 7 50
    aaronjennings 8 5 3 5 8 11 4 44
    Irish Aris 3 8 5 2 5 4 6 33
    Kolido 4 2 1 5 2 7 8 29

That's all for today, but hopefully I can move ahead with the Finale Night tomorrow evening - as usual will decide on an exact time for that tomorrow afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thank you LeVar, you're so efficient and keep us busy everyday!! :)

Necro wrote: »
    Haven't seen Coupling but I'm told I'd like it. Someone told me once it was the British Friends actually now that you mention it LeVar :D

giphy.gif

If it convinces people to give it a watch, whatever, but I hate that comparison... :rolleyes:

ari101 wrote: »
    Yay... I don't do much pure comedy, but I love this. Last thing I saw in a cinema before 'you know what', was the NT Live Show that started it.

And you have
    sexy priest
    to look forward to... if that's your thing ;) It was for Paloma Faith :D :eek :D

giphy.gif

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Thank you LeVar, you're so efficient and keep us busy everyday!! :)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Watch out folks I'm feeling confident for myself for tomorrow. I've a cracker of a show coming up :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Watch out folks I'm feeling confident for myself for tomorrow. I've a cracker of a show coming up :P

So have I ;)

11-1.jpg

I'm starting to understand how Trump felt after November 3rd.

I'm starting to understand how Trump felt after November 3rd.

Why would you want to compare yourself to Trump? :eek:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Despite being a big contender for the overall win earlier on in the game, two back-to-back disastrous rounds sees Hello 2D Person Below tumbling down the table, which cee_jay returns to her perch at the top after a couple of rounds away, and after a belter of a round, a dumbfounded Electric Nitwit currently finds himself only two points off the lead in second place, but a slew of contenders are well within striking distance, with a final regular round of play, and two game-changing bonus rounds yet to come...

At the other end of things there are a few stragglers struggling to keep up, but who knows what could happen yet...

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 R.7 R.8 B.1 B.2 Total
    cee_jay 13 6 13 11 3 6 13 65
    Electric Nitwit 1 13 10 7 9 9 14 63
    Alfred Borden 10 10 6 12 13 1 9 61
    SineadSpears 5 3 11 9 12 14 6 60
    ShaneU 14 1 12 11 11 8 2 59
    Sawduck 9 7 9 8 4 10 12 59
    JohnGreenFan 7 11 4 5 7 13 11 58
    Necro 2 4 14 14 1 12 10 57
    JP Liz V1 11 12 2 7 14 5 3 54
    Hello 2D Person Below 7 14 7 13 6 2 1 50
    the purple tin 12 9 8 1 10 3 7 50
    aaronjennings 8 5 3 5 8 11 4 44
    Irish Aris 3 8 5 2 5 4 6 33
    Kolido 4 2 1 5 2 7 8 29

That's all for today, but hopefully I can move ahead with the Finale Night tomorrow evening - as usual will decide on an exact time for that tomorrow afternoon

Well at least I know I won't be able to come in last... I think?! My next pick is bound to send me tumbling down the table because top of the leaderboard seems cursed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

In 4th with 11 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Schitt's Creek

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3526078/

VhjfEHDl.jpg

Episode 1 Rating: 8.8
    Episode 2 Rating: 9.6
    Episode 3 Rating: 9.8
    Aggregated Approval Rating: 94%

My favourite TV show all time. I had it in my nominations originally and switched it out as Season 1 is definitely the weakest of the whole show. If anyone hasn't watched this, make it a priority. Its excellent.

Advertisement