Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films you heard were good but havent seen

• 05-02-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Ill start this off . Ive never seen

There will be blood

Shinlers list

Inglorious bastards

Missing out ?

Comments

The Invisible Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,045 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Call Me By Your Name.

And I won't be watching it now after one of the lead actors real life allegations.

Call Me By Your Name.

And I won't be watching it now after one of the lead actors real life allegations.

nevermind the fact that he looked old enough to be yer man's dad in that same movie anyway - it was off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Minime2.5 wrote: »

There will be blood

Shinlers list

Inglorious bastards

Missing out ?

I wasn't much into There Will Be Blood. Very slow moving.
    Definately recommend Inglorious Bastards. Thought it was a bit slow moving when I saw it in the cinema. But saw it again few years later on the smaller screen. And loved it.
    Can't remember Schinders List. Ages ago since I saw it. But I remember that it is very good. Very bleak,as I'm sure you know.

Out of those, I'd go for Inglorious Bastards. There are some long scenes and lots of dialogue. But it's quite entertaining overall.

2001; a space odessy. Often meant to watch it. But haven't done it yet.
    And The Irishman. It's the length of the films thats putting me off.
    Have couple of young kids so no time during the day. And not suitable films for starting into at 10 at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭lucalux

Have couple of young kids so no time during the day. And not suitable films for starting into at 10 at night.

On the Irishman, I read at the time that people had split it into sections, with time stamps, so that you could watch it in 3 "episodes"

Might be an idea for you if you want to get around to it, here it one of the versions anyway:

"This is what a Twitter user suggested:

Episode 1: I Heard You Paint Houses

Watch from start to 49 mins - cut when Jimmy Hoffa ends the call.

Episode 2: Hoffa

Watch from 1:49 to 1:40

Cut when Joey The Blond is introduced.

Episode 3: What Kind of Fish?

Watch from 1:40 to 2:47:30

Cut when Frank exits the house. (You'll know when.)

Episode 4: It is What It Is

Watch from 2:47:30 to the end."

I haven't seen loads of really popular, classic movies, but I get the most disbelief from people about the Godfather movies, and Star Wars.

+1 on the recs for Shindler's List, and Inglourious Basterds, I enjoyed them both.
    Schindler's List I'll rewatch, along with The Pianist, every year.
    That's probably why I miss a lot of movies, I rewatch the ones I love out of comfort viewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

The Irishman....at 3 & a half hours, I just don't have the attention span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I wasn't much into There Will Be Blood. Very slow moving.
    Definately recommend Inglorious Bastards. Thought it was a bit slow moving when I saw it in the cinema. But saw it again few years later on the smaller screen. And loved it.
    Can't remember Schinders List. Ages ago since I saw it. But I remember that it is very good. Very bleak,as I'm sure you know.

Out of those, I'd go for Inglorious Bastards. There are some long scenes and lots of dialogue. But it's quite entertaining overall.

Slow moving doesnt mean bad. There will be blood is a superb piece of cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sam Hain wrote: »

There will be blood was always intense, everything is there for a reason, would love to watch it for the first time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,881 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

glasso wrote: »
    nevermind the fact that he looked old enough to be yer man's dad in that same movie anyway - it was off.

Fully agree with this

The wife read the book pre the movie ever being made.

She was lookin forward to seeing the movie and in fairness the setting/scenery etc is v good.

BUT...She said the age gap is meant to be approx 3-5 years.

In the movie armie hammer is pushing 30 (he looks as auld as the hills compared) and chalamat looks around 16.

As you said both of us commented independent to each other that it seemed “off”, and not faithful to the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,719 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Rocky horror picture show

Fear and laughing in Las Vagas was in the list but watched it over Christmas

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The Irish man is well worth your time. I saw it in the cinema and have also watched it on Netflix. It’s very good if you like Scorsese “gangster” movies I’d recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Apocalypse Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

lucalux wrote: »
    Inglourious Basterds

Assumed this is the movie the other posters are reffering to and not actually 'Inglourious Bastards' the Italian flick from the late 70's.

I rewatched not so long ago not as good as I originally thought wouldn't have the replay value of some of Tarantino's other work but certainly a worthwhile viewing if you've not seen. The cafe bar scene is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

Sam Hain wrote:

I agree, it's a masterpiece. P.T Anderson would be my favourite filmmaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Assumed this is the movie the other posters are reffering to and not actually 'Inglourious Bastards' the Italian flick from the late 70's.

the original is very good as well and I was surprised when I watched it that it wasn't more well known or shown on tv when all they showed was old WWII movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Indeed it is, and certainly a far better movie than Inglourious Basterds. A modern classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

Shutter Island.

I've yet to watch any of the LOTR properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

It's worth it just for deniro saying to pacino

"It's what it it is"

And pacino and Tony pro discussing their pensions in jail

Shutter Island.

Shutter Island is fooking brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's as close to the books as could ever be made by Hollywood.

Sam Neill should gotten Agent Smith's role. And I don't buy Liv as an elf. I must do a marathon sometime.

The Hobbit series is what you'd expect from Hollywood and best avoided. Seek out the fan edits where they've removed half the runtime to remove the worst excesses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Man with a Movie Camera
    An experimental 1929 Soviet silent documentary film, directed by Dziga Vertov and edited by his wife Yelizaveta Svilova.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Unless you've an aversion to anything fantasy'esque.... you should be blown away. Staggering feat of filmmaking.

I know I should watch This is Spinal Tap, but I haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭Mississippi.

Any of the Godfather film's

I plink therefore I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭crushproof

Apocalypse Now

Oh lordy, I finally watched it last year. Actually no 2019, re released in the cinema and it was magnificent. Instantly into my top 10. Cannot recommend it enough.

For me the LOTR trilogy has never really appealed me,also yet to get around to watching classics such as Casablanca

crushproof wrote:
    Oh lordy, I finally watched it last year. Actually no 2019, re released in the cinema and it was magnificent. Instantly into my top 10. Cannot recommend it enough.

The scene at the start with Martin Sheen where he cuts himself is apparently real blood and he was supposed to have had a breakdown during that period. I don't know if that's myth or truth though.

Dades wrote: »
    Unless you've an aversion to anything fantasy'esque.... you should be blown away. Staggering feat of filmmaking.

I know I should watch This is Spinal Tap, but I haven't.
    Watch
    The Rutles too if you've ever heard of Beatlemania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭lucalux

Dades wrote: »

This thread reminded me of being sat down and made to watch the LOTR trilogy, and the Matrix trilogy in the one weekend, by people who wouldn't stand for my wilful ignorance any longer.. Pretty sure it was after a festival and we were all feeling pretty fragile..

Was stunned at LOTR, had read the books, and was afraid I'd hate it - oh how wrong I was!

Watched the Matrix and thought, that coulda been done in one movie.
    Probably best to see them as they come out in some cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

Running time is nearly one of the first things I check when finding something to watch. So many movies are just unnecessarily long these days. No need for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭pah

Drexel_3 wrote: »
    Running time is nearly one of the first things I check when finding something to watch. So many movies are just unnecessarily long these days. No need for it

Unless they are necessarily long

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

pah wrote: »
    Unless they are necessarily long

Most aren't. Some of the Avenger movies take the piss

Skerries wrote: »
    the original is very good as well and I was surprised when I watched it that it wasn't more well known or shown on tv when all they showed was old WWII movies

Haven't seen it in quite sometime but it's on Prime video (as is Basterds) so might actually have a gander during the week, It's probably a disservice to Tarantino to call it the original as they are very different films but at the same time let's be honest he created the link with the title and even casting Bo Svensson and the director for roles in his film.

No secret he likes paying homage to old cinema I suppose he done similar with also another Italian film Django and cast Franco Nero for a small part in Django Unchained perhaps that's more well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Point break, bad boys 2 and hot fuzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Point break, bad boys 2 and hot fuzz.

Don't watch bad boys 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is but would you watch it again? Never been tempted personally. Definitely in that category of being in the mood for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Don't watch bad boys 2.

Presume post was a windup

I didn't say it was bad. I just said it didn't do it for me.

Hmob wrote: »
    Presume post was a windup

Defo, imagine mightybashful hasn't seen Hot Fuzz. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Minime2.5 wrote: »

There will be blood

Shinlers list

Inglorious bastards

Missing out ?

there will be blood isnt much of a story - plot but the acting by day lewis and paul dano makes it worth it

inglorious bastards is a blast if you like Tarantino

i actually have never seen much of Schindlers List but it sort of bored me what i saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i had never seen Casablanca until christmas gone by

its truly great

• Advertisement

The Knacker

Collateral Damage

Behind Enemy Lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Shutter Island is fooking brilliant

Except for the fact that it's as transparent as a pane of glass and as shallow as a puddle.

It plays out ok, but it holds absolutely no surprises and that's its central reason for existence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I beat you all lol: Citizen Kane. I have the DVD ready to go but keep forgetting to get around to what's often considered the lodestone of American cinema itself.

I know what to expect - pterodactyls in the background n all - just never remember to get to watching the damn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Star Wars
    Godfather 2
    Casablanca
    Birdman
    Reservoir Dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The Irishman - is not a good movie IMO and I felt like turning it off a few times. Anyone who hasn't seen it, I would say you are not missing anything if you've already seen Goodfellas, etc. as there's nothing new or novel here and it just seems like a requiem for these aging actors in a long, drawn out more of the same and what you've already seen done better in other films kind of way. "I wasted hours of my life watching this" was my main takeaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 mithAine

1. Adam and Paul
    2. Disco Pigs
    3. Eden
    4.Patrick's Day

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

This thread may be dealing solely with movies made in the west as opposed to foreign movies ? but I could not survive on that diet alone.

Armed with Pirate bay - i have d/loaded some of the best cinema i have seen. Western movies can be very formulaic. Open up the senses - Korean / Japanese cinema is awash with gems !

Samples of a few foreign gems i've seen :
    The lives of others (German)
    A separation (Iran)
    Poetry (Korean)
    Leviathan (Russia)
    Burnt by the sun (Russia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

The scene at the start with Martin Sheen where he cuts himself is apparently real blood and he was supposed to have had a breakdown during that period. I don't know if that's myth or truth though.

Its true, anyone who likes the film needs to watch the documentary on it, its just as a good as the movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102015/

newmember? wrote: »
    The Irishman - is not a good movie IMO and I felt like turning it off a few times. Anyone who hasn't seen it, I would say you are not missing anything if you've already seen Goodfellas, etc. as there's nothing new or novel here and it just seems like a requiem for these aging actors in a long, drawn out more of the same and what you've already seen done better in other films kind of way. "I wasted hours of my life watching this" was my main takeaway.

Respectfully Wouldn’t agree with this at all

There’s more to it than simply a gangster story like the one in goodfellas don’t get me wrong I love goodfellas but this is something else entirely

It’s an epic featuring not only frank sheeran (de Niro) but also Russell bufalino played brilliantly b by Pesci and of course the enigmatic Jimmy Hoffa played by Pacino.

The direction, sets, soundtrack- everything is class act in it

Well worth the time and attention required imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

London After Midnight
    The Magnificent Ambersons - Director's Cut
    The Day the Clown Cried

• Advertisement
Advertisement