Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2021

• 05-02-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now it's Australia's turn to host a grand slam in a global pandemic.

Men's draw

Women's draw

Here's to some great matches with a bit of atmosphere, hopefully!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Serena wont be breaking any records with that draw i dont think. Possible Sabalenka/Halep/Osaka and just to reach final. Well set up for barty though you'd have to expect a few more shocks than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Serena wont be breaking any records with that draw i dont think. Possible Sabalenka/Halep/Osaka and just to reach final. Well set up for barty though you'd have to expect a few more shocks than usual.

Am I correct that Barty basically hasn't played since last years AO? Hard to see her being up to speed.

Mens draw looks balanced enough, Djokovic /Thiem on one side with Nadal / Medvedev on the other, Nadals side looking a bit tricker on paper.

lostcat wrote: »
    Am I correct that Barty basically hasn't played since last years AO? Hard to see her being up to speed.

Thats correct, played one tournament after AO last year i think and called it a halt. Serena withdrawing from their scheduled match tonight won't help much either. Still, has best draw you could possibly ask for and didnt have to quarantine so that much is in her favour. Wide open though, even more than normal. Think Azarenka might go well and Alexandrova is another i'm keeping my eye on of late.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyone else thinking potential upset on the cards for Osaka against Pavlyuchenkova? Obviously depends on which Pavlyuchenkova shows up, but not an easy first round at all.

First impressions are it's a very, very good draw for Barty, and not a bad one for Kenin. Tricky comeback draw for Andreescu but I won't believe she's playing until I see her on court.

Potential Djokovic-Wawrinka match in the fourth round, is Stan up for carrying out the Lord's work at almost 36 years of age?

Shapovalov-Sinner in the first round, that could be great. Potential Thiem-Kyrgios in the third is also one to watch.

Also a potential Muguruza-Osaka fourth rounder, I googled to see what the h2h was.. turns out this would be the first match! Same goes with Serena-Sabalenka, on a collision course for their first ever match. Sabalenka probably won't get that far though. Halep-Swiatek is another to watch out for in the fourth round.

Going by seeding Osaka would have to beat Pav, Garcia, Jabeur & Muguruza just to reach qf. She'll be earning it the hard way if she wins. Bottom half of that draw is vicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Looking forward to dimitrov vs cilic, Shapovalov vs sinner and Thiem vs Kukushkin. Hard to know who is in form with the build up to this. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Kerber is done at this level sadly.

No shame in that had an excellent run a few years ago, won 3 Grand Slams and made loads of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nadal for the mens, can't see anyone else realistically.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Kerber is done at this level sadly.

No shame in that had an excellent run a few years ago, won 3 Grand Slams and made loads of money.

Didn't realise that Kerber is 33. Her game has really dropped of a cliff, reminds of Jelena Jankovic had a couple of good years and the dropped of a cliff.

There's a shocker.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    There's a shocker.

Bookmark it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Didn't realise that Kerber is 33. Her game has really dropped of a cliff, ....
    didn't see the match but in her presser she noted that two weeks lockdown isn't the best preparation when facing someone who hasn't been in a lockdown..
    I think it will take the first week for a lot of players to find their feel/feet.

Kerber hasn't been at the business end of things for a good while however.

So envious of Australia, look at the audience there, we can only dream of this in Europe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I hope they have to fetch their towels themselves like they did in the French Open last year, I got kick out if it. Didn't realise how much I disliked the kids running around like lackeys after a flick of the wrist from the players.

Djokovic still doing the heart throw cringe, jaysus doesn;t he have PR people ?

hamburgham wrote: »
    I hope they have to fetch their towels themselves like they did in the French Open last year, I got kick out if it. Didn't realise how much I disliked the kids running around like lackeys after a flick of the wrist from the players.

Never liked the whole towel at the back of the court and toweling down after each point. For years sweat bands were enough. Maybe the fact they have to get their own towel now the players may just do without it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭josip

Happy New Year Hector.
    Out with the old, in with the new :)

What people don't realise is that everytime he does the heart thing, he's actually thinking "Jebi se, Jebi se".

It's the greatest in-joke in tennis. He knows he's disliked everywhere. He knows that's not going to change just by making shapes with his arms. It's him against all of us. And he likes it that way.

What people don't realise is that every time he does the heart thing, he's actually thinking "Jebi se, Jebi se".

It's the greatest in-joke in tennis. He knows he's disliked everywhere. He knows that's not going to change just by making shapes with his arms. It's him against all of us. And he likes it that way.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

josip wrote: »
    What people don't realise is that every time he does the heart thing, he's actually thinking "Jebi se, Jebi se".

Never the impression I've gotten tbh, I've always thought he's desperate to be liked, and his lack of popularity bothers him greatly.

• Advertisement

Never the impression I've gotten tbh, I've always thought he's desperate to be liked, and his lack of popularity bothers him greatly.

Can't see how he'd have won so many slams if it bothered him 'greatly'.
    I think he's able to feed off it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Such a shame Shapa and Sinner meet so early, its a great match.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Such a shame Shapa and Sinner meet so early, its a great match.

Indeed fantastic stuff, sorry one has to leave so early.
    Sinner will be a future slam winner, great player.

40/40 there at *5-4, fifth set, tennis is such a knife edge sport ...

Great match between Kyrgios and Humbert. Say what you like about Kyrgios he is exciting to watch. Bit of controversy with the net sensor going off on serves when the ball has clearly cleared the net. Kyrgios asking for the sensor to be turned off.

Big scare for halep there, survives a bit of a war against Tomljanovic. A round away from a potential rematch against Swiatek.

Kyrgios in trouble now, Humbert a break up in the 4th set and leading 2 sets to 1.

Great match between Kyrgios and Humbert. Kyrgios saving 2 match points in the 4th set. Next up Thiem.

The Melbourne crowd cheering like Kyrgios just won the tournament.

Great match between Kyrgios and Humbert. Say what you like about Kyrgios he is exciting to watch. Bit of controversy with the net sensor going off on serves when the ball has clearly cleared the net. Kyrgios asking for the sensor to be turned off.
    Big scare for halep there, survives a bit of a war against Tomljanovic. A round away from a potential rematch against Swiatek.

Great matches, felt bad for Tomljanovic, but she has a future in the game for sure.

Kryios is great, don't really like the guy as a person but total entertainment and something Tennis badly needs.
    Glad he went through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Are people watching this on Eurosport player? I don't understand their highlights..literally all matches replay are posted, even some doubles, EXCEPT the Tiafoe-Djokovic one is not there?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Half asleep watching the Wawrinka-Fucsovic only to wake up Fucs winning in the end, surprising! Also happy to see Su Wei Hsieh the bamboozler/giant killer again!

Advertisement