Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Kolrus - Battle of the Decades - The Reveal

Options
  • 04-02-2021 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭

542001.png

Welcome to the reveal thread. I'm will do them in chronological order.

Nominations Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Disclaimer

The reviews here are my personal opinions and may not reflect popular opinion.
    Possible movie spoilers ahead.

We will be kicking off with the 70s a bit later

Here are some movies that would have done well in the round.

Halloween_%281978%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

Alien_movie_poster.jpg

Thunderbolt_and_Lightfoot_movie_poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if I got last place in every single round of this...

giphy.gif

I see Necro has a reveal running atm, shall we postpone?

Kolido wrote: »
    I see Necro has a reveal running atm, shall we postpone?

Personally I see no harm in two reveals going on simultaneously, but you're the host, so whatever suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fire ahead Kol, I'll be done in about 30 mins tops anyhow

Welcome to the 70s movie reveal.

Great bunch of movies picked in this round. Many I've heard of that I'm glad I got around to watching. Of the 11 nominated, I had only seen 2 fully and another 2 partially before. In fact, 4 of the movies I had never heard of. That for me, made the round great.
    I didn't dislike any of the movies and I felt bad having to place one of them last. This was a really close round, my lowest rating was 6 and highest was only 7.5 so even the last placed movie was pretty good. By the same token though none of the movies were outstanding.

So, let's remind ourselves of the players and best of luck to everyone.

The Purple Tin
    Purgative
    Rebe
    Necro
    Sawduck
    Aris
    ShaneU
    Diamonds
    SineadSpears
    Liz

and....

Also starring Levar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot was a great movie

Welcome to the 70s movie reveal.

Great bunch of movies picked in this round. Many I've heard of that I'm glad I got around to watching. Of the 11 nominated, I had only seen 2 fully and another 2 partially before. In fact, 4 of the movies I had never heard of. That for me, made the round great.
    I didn't dislike any of the movies and I felt bad having to place one of them last. This was a really close round, my lowest rating was 6 and highest was only 7.5 so even the last placed movie was pretty good. By the same token though none of the movies were outstanding.

That's already a higher rating than I expected I would get for this round, even if I am last. :D

In 6th place with 6 points is -
    Purgative

Soldier Blue 1971
    Dir: Ralph Nelson

Heard of it - No
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 6.9

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066390/

220px-Soldier_Blue.jpg

Synopsis [Courtesy of IMDB]

After a cavalry patrol is ambushed by the Cheyenne, the two survivors, a soldier and a woman, must reach the safety of the nearest fort.

Review

I like a good cows and Indians movie but I’ve not seen many to be honest. This one, based on true events, had me intrigued. It starts off pretty frantic but it slows down considerably, with little action until it gets to the last 20 minutes or so. This is arguably the most famous part of the movie. Be warned, it is quite graphic and unsettling. The effects are ropey but it was to be expected from a movie made in 1970. The female lead, played by Candice Bergen, kind of annoyed me throughout the movie but I had empathy for her at the end. The male lead, played by Peter Strauss who I’m not familiar with, did an okay job as a US soldier. One devoted to the country and the other sympathizing with the Cheyenne, the way they bounced off each other throughout made for nice viewing. I should mention the corrupt trader, played by Donald Pleasence, was an interesting addition. I alway see him as Sam Loomis. As mentioned, the movie picks up pace near the end, but a lot of the hour and a half leading up to that was a chore. I’m sure this movie is highly rated within it’s genre, maybe it is just not for me. I still like it but there are much more interesting picks in this category for me.

Trivia

This was the third highest grossing movie at the UK box office in 1970

• Advertisement

In 7th place with 5 points is -
    Liz

Three Days of the Condor 1975
    Dir: Sydney Pollack

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 7.4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073802/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6

Three_Days_of_the_Condor_poster.JPG

A bookish CIA researcher finds all his co-workers dead, and must outwit those responsible until he figures out who he can really trust.

Review

Robert Redford made many great pictures in the 70s, this up there with his best by all accounts. Nice start and then a quite intense assassination scene at around 15 minutes in, I was thinking to myself, okay, this getting good. However, it didn't hit the heights I was expecting. I found it dragged on a lot. Can't fault the acting, location, and plot. I don't know what it was that that didn't make me like this movie more. I really liked Max Von Sydow's character.

Trivia

This is the only feature film filmed inside the World Trade Center.

In 5th place with 7 points is -
    SineadSpears

Soylent Green 1973
    Dir: Richard Fleischer

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 7 IMDB Rating: 7.1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

Soylent_green.jpg

In the year 2022. Overcrowding, pollution, and resource depletion have reduced society's leaders to finding food for the teeming masses. The answer is Soylent Green-an artificial nourishment whose actual ingredients are not known by the public. Thorn (Charlton Heston) is the tough homicide detective who stumbles onto the secret so terrifying no one would dare believe him.

Review

I have had this movie on my watchlist for a long time, so I was excited when I saw it nominated. Charlton Heston was at the top of his game in the 60s and 70s, and made so many fun movies. The premise here, a dystopian society, is a theme I’m always drawn to. You can really notice the 70s decor, although it is supposed to be 2022, I guess they never envisaged we would have mobile phones by then. This is one movie which I could see doing well with a remake (there never was one that I’m aware off) Not a lot of action here, mostly dialogue, not that that is a bad thing but I wasn’t drawn in as much as I was expecting. The visuals and setting I really liked, but as I said, could really shine with a remake. No issue with the plot, if a bit predictable. Watch out for the scoops, really insane crowd control measures. Good movie overall but I was expecting to enjoy it more than I did. Possibly one I will revisit sometime.

Trivia

Edward G. Robinsons final movie

In 8th place with 4 points is -
    Aris

Deliverance 1972
    Dir: John Boorman

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 7.7

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Deliverance_poster.jpg

Intent on seeing the Cahulawassee River before it's dammed and turned into a lake, outdoor fanatic Lewis Medlock takes his friends on a canoeing trip they'll never forget into the dangerous American back-country.

Review

I’ve heard that this movie was not an easy watch and I’d have to agree. One of the reasons I had never watched it before. Again, not really my thing. Decent acting, apparently making Burt Reynolds a star. Looks like this was made on a budget. One thing I did notice was the lack of a score, apart from the famous Dueling Banjos there is little other soundtrack here. This was a bit like a more grown up Stand By Me and if you remember my previous walrus, that did not score good with me either though I probably would prefer it to this. Not much else to say, it was okay though not my type of movie.

Trivia

To minimize costs, the production wasn't insured, and the actors did their own stunts.

In 4th place with 8 points is -
    Necro

Jaws 1975
    Dir: Steven Spielberg

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 7 IMDB Rating: 8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073195/

JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

When a killer shark unleashes chaos on a beach community, it's up to a local sheriff, a marine biologist, and an old seafarer to hunt the beast down.

Review

Needs little introduction, the pioneer of the Summer Blockbuster genre. I had rewatched the whole series last year. Obviously the best of them is this one. Whilst I really like this movie, I do find it a tad overrated. I think it runs a bit longer than it needs to. The acting is fine, as you would expect with high concept movies, there is little character development. Can’t talk about Jaws without mentioning the theme. Great work was done here by the ever impressive John Williams. The tension in this movie takes a lot of influence from Hitchcock in the way it suggests danger. In fact this kind of came about accidentally because the mechanical shark malfunctioned a lot.They actually at the outset wanted to try to train a shark :) I did jump at one point, a scene I had forgotten about. The missus beside me was none too pleased! All in all, a great movie but you’re gonna need a bigger score to win this round!

Trivia

The highest grossing movie at the time and until Star Wars was released.

That leaves us with a top 3 and bottom 3 between
    Sawduck
    Rebe
    ShaneU
    The Purple Tin
    LeVar
    Frostie

In 9th place with 3 points is -
    Rebereta

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage 1970
    Dir: Dario Argento

Heard of it - No
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6.5 IMDB Rating: 7.2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065143/

Bird-with-crystal-plumage.jpg

An American expatriate in Rome witnesses an attempted murder that is connected to an ongoing killing spree in the city, and conducts his own investigation despite himself and his girlfriend being targeted by the killer.

Review

I don’t usually watch foreign movies as I find reading subs distracting. I suppose you can get used to it. I actually ended up watching a dubbed version. These movies from the 70s really have their charm, and being foriegn adds to it. The plot was nothing too elaborate but the little twist at the end was nice. My attention was kind of weaning throughout the movie. I guess I didn’t see it earlier. I must say, the acting was kind of dodgy here. Not sure how well known these local actors were at the time. None of the names struck a chord with me. The kills scenes, again ropey but with a certain charm. Not a kind of movie that I would seek to watch so thanks for nominating this one, it is what makes these games fun. A fun movie that I may actually watch again. A tough category which is why it didn’t score higher. Good pick though.

Trivia

Directorial debut for Dario Argento

I fear I may be in the bottom 3

Sawduck wrote: »
    I fear I may be in the bottom 3

Me too. I expect it.

In 3rd place with 9 points is -
    Frostie

The Godfather 1972
    Dir: Francis Ford Coppola

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 7.5 IMDB Rating: 9.2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Godfather_ver1.jpg

An organized crime dynasty's aging patriarch transfers control of his clandestine empire to his reluctant son.

Review

This is probably a staple of every movie list, not just the 70s. When I said I’ve seen it, I probably have but not really sure, this was however the first time I watched it properly. Crime drama or gangster genre would not be my thing in general, saying that, I watched Goodfellas during my previous movie walrus and loved it. How did this movie compare in comparison? Well it is not as good and is overrated imo. I did like it though, it is considered one of the best movies ever made so to call it overrated doesn’t mean it is bad. I should say I’m not really a fan of either Marlon Brando or Al Pacino. What I really liked about this movie was James Caan's performance and I would have to say the transformation of Pacino’s character was really good. I suppose it was the pioneer of it’s genre and a great influence on many movies. Lots of Oscar nominations and few wins. I actually expected it to be more violent than it was. So yeah, it’s overrated but good, if I liked the genre more this movie would have won the category easily. Funny thing is, I’m going to have to go watch the other 2 now.

Trivia

Al Pacino, James Caan, and Diane Keaton were all paid $35,000 for their work on the film

In 10th place with 2 points is -
    The Purple Tin

A New Leaf 1971
    Dir: Elaine May

Heard of it - No
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6 IMDB Rating: 7.4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067482/

A_New_Leaf.jpg

Henry Graham lives the life of a playboy. When his lawyer tells him one day that his lifestyle has consumed all his funds, he needs an idea to avoid climbing down the social ladder. So he intends to marry a rich woman and - murder her.

Review

This was the first movie I watched for the contest. Never heard of it and having checked who stars in it, I wasn't looking forward to it tbh. I'm not a fan of Walter Matthau and my opinion didn't change here unfortunately. I did however enjoy the quirky Henrietta played by Eliane May, who also directed the movie.
    Walter's character is very unlikable (within the movie, not because I don't like the actor) and the change he makes by the end works really well. I did find myself getting more into the movie as it went on. I also liked Walter's servant, Harold, added a bit of welcomed humour for me. It is a decent movie but it is just not my kind of movie and I don't like the lead actor so that is really why it didn't score higher.

Trivia

With this movie, Elaine May became the first female to direct, write, and star in a film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Fair play Reb, Argento isn't an easy to watch, some fairly intense scenes throughout his filmography

In 2nd place with 10 points is -
    Shane

The Sting 1973
    Dir: George Roy Hill

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 7.5 IMDB Rating: 8.3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070735/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

71jQL9tbehL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Two grifters team up to pull off the ultimate con.

Review

Let me start by saying I had seen this movie partially, about the first 30 minutes of it to exact so I was slightly familiar with it. From the opening scenes, with the famous theme tune, it really engages the viewer, introducing one half of the movie's leads. I do like Robert Redford and while Paul Newman is a great actor, he is a bit off putting to me with his hard to work with real life persona, look up The Towering Inferno! That aside, the characters and acting in this movie are superb, not just from the main leads but all round. I did have reservations about Roberts Shaws character, I felt he wasn’t ruthless enough, maybe that was intended given this is more comedy than your usual heist movie. What really knocks this one out of the park is the plot, was really smart and kept my interest the whole way through. This movie is based in the 1930s and I think they got the aesthetics pretty good. I have nothing negative as such to say about this movie. If you like caper movies you will love this one. If it was my preferred genre, it may have scored higher. Superb pick though, well played.

Trivia

This was the only film for which Robert Redford was ever nominated for an Academy Award as Best Actor

In 2nd place with 10 points is -
    Shane

The Sting 1973
    Dir: George Roy Hill

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 7.5 IMDB Rating: 8.3

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070735/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

71jQL9tbehL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Two grifters team up to pull off the ultimate con.

Review

Let me start by saying I had seen this movie partially, about the first 30 minutes of it to exact so I was slightly familiar with it. From the opening scenes, with the famous theme tune, it really engages the viewer, introducing one half of the movie's leads. I do like Robert Redford and while Paul Newman is a great actor, he is a bit off putting to me with his hard to work with real life persona, look up The Towering Inferno! That aside, the characters and acting in this movie are superb, not just from the main leads but all round. I did have reservations about Roberts Shaws character, I felt he wasn’t ruthless enough, maybe that was intended given this is more comedy than your usual heist movie. What really knocks this one out of the park is the plot, was really smart and kept my interest the whole way through. This movie is based in the 1930s and I think they got the aesthetics pretty good. I have nothing negative as such to say about this movie. If you like caper movies you will love this one. If it was my preferred genre, it may have scored higher. Superb pick though, well played.

Trivia

This was the only film for which Robert Redford was ever nominated for an Academy Award as Best Actor

That's a great movie, haven't seen it in years though

In 11th place with 1 points is -
    LeVar

The Big Doll House 1971
    Dir: Jack Hill

Heard of it - No
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6 IMDB Rating: 5.9

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066830/

Big_doll_house.jpg

Beautiful women prisoners are abused in a Philippine prison, until 5 of them plot an escape by taking the evil female warden hostage with the reluctant help of 2 male fruit vendors.

Review

This is a rather unusual pick. Exploitation movies are not what I would usually watch. Strangely, this movie kept me entertained until the end with a funny little twist. Each of the characters has character. Acting, dialogue, and effects are ropey to say the least. I would call this a B-movie so I can look past that without too much negativity. The torture scenes, while implied to be intense, are not really. It's an interesting pick, one I thought I would hate but rather enjoyed. I would never have watched this otherwise, in that respect, kudos. Unfortunately it was never going to score high with the other picks here, but loads of respect for being bold.

Trivia

Filmed in the Philippines

In 1st place with 11 points is -
    Sawduck

Duel 1971
    Dir: Steven Spielberg

Heard of it - Yes
    Seen it - Yes

My Rating: 7.5 IMDB Rating: 7.6

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

Duel_%281971_film%29_poster.jpg

While traveling through the desert for an appointment with a client, the businessman David Mann from California passes a slow and old tanker truck. The psychotic truck driver feels offended and chases David along the empty highway trying to kill him.

Review

This is a classic example of what can be done with limited resources and exempt direction. The opening scene of the first person view from the car as it travels through various California highways with the local radio in the background, sets the tone for what is to come. Dennis Weaver plays the main character pursued by a crazy truck driver, whose face is never revealed. You can see him break throughout the movie. There are no big budget explosions or car chases here, but what you do get is edge of your seat, tense and thrilling film making. I’m sure road rage like this does happen in real life and the plot here is very believable. It is kind of like the Jaws of the desert highway. It was made 50 years ago but is very watchable to this day. Apart from there not being any mobile phones, this movie could be made shot for shot today without much difference. As you can tell, I really enjoyed this movie, it is just the kind of movie I’m into. A great pick.

Trivia

This was the feature-length directorial debut of Steven Spielberg

Niceeee. Once I saw Jaws in 4th place I didn't think Duel stood a chance, I still think its one of Spielberg's best movies. Great reveal Kolido and some great movies submitted here

In 11th place with 1 points is -
    LeVar

The Big Doll House 1971
    Dir: Jack Hill

Heard of it - No
    Seen it - No

My Rating: 6 IMDB Rating: 5.9

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066830/

Big_doll_house.jpg

Beautiful women prisoners are abused in a Philippine prison, until 5 of them plot an escape by taking the evil female warden hostage with the reluctant help of 2 male fruit vendors.

Review

This is a rather unusual pick. Exploitation movies are not what I would usually watch. Strangely, this movie kept me entertained until the end with a funny little twist. Each of the characters has character. Acting, dialogue, and effects are ropey to say the least. I would call this a B-movie so I can look past that without too much negativity. The torture scenes, while implied to be intense, are not really. It's an interesting pick, one I thought I would hate but rather enjoyed. I would never have watched this otherwise, in that respect, kudos. Unfortunately it was never going to score high with the other picks here, but loads of respect for being bold.

Trivia

Filmed in the Philippines

My knowledge of B-Movies is far better than my knowledge of critically acclaimed award winners, so I thought f**k it, why not go for something a bit different. Fully expected last place, but glad you enjoyed it more than you thought you would.

So that completes round 1, Sawduck leads the pack with a superb pick. All the movies were a joy to watch tbf, haven't started the next round yet but looking forward to it. Thanks for sticking around, see you all next time.

Player|70s
    Sawduck |11
    ShaneU |10
    Diamonds |9
    Necro |8
    SineadSpears |7
    Purgative |6
    Liz |5
    Aris |4
    Rebe |3
    The Purple Tin |2
    LeVar |1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Thanks kol

• Advertisement

My knowledge of B-Movies is far better than my knowledge of critically acclaimed award winners, so I thought f**k it, why not go for something a bit different. Fully expected last place, but glad you enjoyed it more than you thought you would.

Delighted you went this route LeVar, makes this more fun for me at least. I'd rather this than Stars Wars.

Advertisement