Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerry Seinfeld - Successful but not funny.

Options
  • 03-02-2021 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Is Jerry Seinfeld the most successful but least funny comedian of all time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The Seinfeld show is brilliant, admittedly because of Larry David’s writing and not Seinfeld’s acting or his standup bits in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The show was brilliant but never really liked his stand-up routines.

As for his acting he's either a terrible actor or brilliant at playing a terrible actor, I could never tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never really liked him or the show, but that's not to say I can't appreciate that people found it funny. I think the Seinfeld show itself had a very specific appeal; if you were between 18 and 40 and middle class at the time, you probably found it (and Seinfeld himself) quite funny. It reminds me a lot of peep show; ordinary people in everyday situations made ridiculous by their own ineptitude.

Friends probably had a slightly wider appeal, but even then I imagine anyone born after 1999 probably can't understand why old people are so obsessed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I LOVE the show (rewatching on Prime atm). But I always thought the standup bits at the start were deliberately **** as a joke. But after seeing some Seinfeld standup I dont think so. He is really unfunny. Love Curb also. Amazing show.

Id add Kevin Hart to the list. Admittedly I just tried his new Netflix standup show and it was painfully unfunny, I couldn't sit through it all. Didn't even crack a grin. He seems like a likeable guy though. Maybe he has a better back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I find Larry David very funny.
    Jerry Seinfeld, not so much...

His penchant for young girls was a bit off too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Seinfeld the show is genuinely one of the best comedies ever. His comedy which is spattered throughout the show is quite hammy and of its time.

“What’s with the peanuts you get on airplanes? etc. etc.”.

As an actor I think it would be unfair to say he isn’t funny or talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

That show would have been better called 'Kramer' as Cosmo Kramer was the real star - not Jerry Seinfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he pretty much invented the whole observational schtick; either you like that style of standup or you don't but if you do like it, he's the king.

On the sitcom (which is possibly my favourite ever TV show) his standup is treated as a running joke by the other characters, and he's generally shown as only moderately successful at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

seamus wrote: »
    Never really liked him or the show, but that's not to say I can't appreciate that people found it funny. I think the Seinfeld show itself had a very specific appeal; if you were between 18 and 40 and middle class at the time, you probably found it (and Seinfeld himself) quite funny. It reminds me a lot of peep show; ordinary people in everyday situations made ridiculous by their own ineptitude.

Friends probably had a slightly wider appeal, but even then I imagine anyone born after 1999 probably can't understand why old people are so obsessed with it.

I would have been the perfect age to enjoy Friends but I always found it dull and tedious. I think it was a mix of the annoying canned laughter, annoying characters and the fact very little genuinely funny happened! To be fair I far prefer British comedy.
    Started watching the American office recently, thought it would be a cheap, annoying version of the British version but I have been pleasantly surprised. They keep enough of what made the English Office so enjoyable but make it their own.
    Haven't given Seinfeld much of a look but when I have it just seems dated and not overly funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Never found the guy funny. Not once.

Not my cup a tea at all. I prefer someone like Roy Chubby Brown. He's come craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is Seinfeld worth watching now?, I have never seen an episode of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

loyatemu wrote: »
    he pretty much invented the whole observational schtick; either you like that style of standup or you don't but if you do like it, he's the king.

I wouldn't say he invented it, I remember Dave Allen stand up that was completely observational, about being in supermarket queues etc.
    From what I've seen of Seinfeld's stand up, it's terrible, but the show was very funny at times. I love the episode were George goes back to work as if he never quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

silverharp wrote: »

Yes, they're all on RTE player.

Watch an episode called The Contest. It's a good test to see if the show is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

100% it goes to a different level from season 5 through 7, George is just magnificent throughout this period, Kramer too. It’s actually just a great show. It’s funny to see a few themes lifted from it directly into Curb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Is Jerry Seinfeld the most successful but least funny comedian of all time?

I take it you have never heard of Ellen Degeneris.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Don't know this guy, but I'm a huge fan of Gerry Seinfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Famous American comedians are almost universally successful not funny. Joe segura, Jesalink, Pete Davidson, Aziz Azari, Marc Maron. Just absolutely unwatchably awful.

Chappelle is over praised but I can get through an hour of his show.

Louis CK’s shows and his sitcom was the only one I actually valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

His proper stand up such as "Im telling you for the last time" is hilarious imo, I don't count any of the routines included in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I liked the show but that's as much down to Larry David's writing and the supporting cast. Something about the man himself that I could never warm to, the air of smarminess, the self satisfied grin, the mullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Famous American comedians are almost universally successful not funny. Joe segura, Jesalink, Pete Davidson, Aziz Azari, Marc Maron. Just absolutely unwatchably awful.

There's probably another few you could add to that list. I saw Brendan Schwab and Chris D'Elia do chronically bad sets.

I saw Tom Segura do a mildly funny bit when he caught his mother on video letting a big fart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

I had never watched it before until a few months ago, maybe during the Christmas lazing around period. I didn't unfortunately find it funny, I felt maybe it was something more for its time. This is in the context of what I have enjoyed; Curb Your Enthusiasm, the Office (UK and US), Alan Partridge, It's Always Sunny etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I never watched Seinfeld, but Facebook are aggressively showing me clips of it, and it does seem funny. It's all on Netflix, so might give it a watch.

Loved the show, saw him live a few years back. He's ok but nothing special.

A fair bit of the show was adlib so he definitely has comedy in him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Love his stand up. The show itself is seminal but was always on at awkward times and I feel it has dated a bit.

People credit Larry David with the success of the show entirely when there was a team of writers at work on it.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is a bit hit and miss but I like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

JS himself was the least jewish character in it , Larry Davids character in Curb Your Enthusiasm is inherently jewish

prefer Curb myself but Seinfeld was good in spite of Jerry

Don't know this guy, but I'm a huge fan of Gerry Seinfield.

Hi PK

• Registered Users Posts: 24,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Always seemed like an affable and nice fella but his comedy always seemed to verge little on the safe side.. humorous as opposed to hilarious..

you forgot the Godfather of unfunny but hugely successful comedians

Bob Hope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Love his stand up. The show itself is seminal but was always on at awkward times and I feel it has dated a bit.

People credit Larry David with the success of the show entirely when there was a team of writers at work on it.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is a bit hit and miss but I like that too.

The standard visibly went down when LD left for the last couple of seasons-it just turned into the wacky adventures of Kramer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I have never found him remotely funny either. He is the least funny character in his own series. His former comedy partner, Larry David, on the other hand is deservedly successful.

Advertisement