Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting ICE to EV - survey

Options
  • 02-02-2021 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭

From Facebook link shared

A survey to find out what interest folks have in converting ICE vehicles to EVs. If you would be so kind as to fill it in (it's very quick, I promise!) that'd be unreal. Even more unreal would be if you could share the link around -- especially to non-EV owners or EV-curious folks (I don't know any myself!). Thanks!

This is a quick survey to get a sense of people's willingness, ability and desire to convert a conventional ICE vehicle into a battery-powered EV.

Survey
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScobOnvSk-PoPDok4Fu1rgQeyMFXyyvKVbSi_1cUcguQqt1JA/viewform

Mod Approved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Filled in. Very interested. Labour costs are the major drawback for me as I lack the skills to do the conversion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I remember a while back watching one of Rich Rebuilds videos about SEMA and there were a bunch of folks there selling EV conversion kits

It was very interesting the way they basically made drop in kits that match up the the existing drivtrain

But frankly, I think it's only ever worthwhile converting classic cars to electric

1974 Pontiac GTO EV conversion - yes please!
    2002 Hyundai Getz EV conversion - to hell with you!!!

Also, to be clear, I'm perfectly fine with classics remaining as ICE cars, provided they have at least a V8 :)
    If someone wants a muscle car to take out for Sunday drives, then no problem
    It's the person who insists they need to buy a 3.0l Audi Q7 Diesel when they commute 20km every day is the problem

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've a long term plan to take an Austin Mini and convert it to electric, would def be a project car rather than a practical conversion.

My plans are for my Porsche Boxster.

Nothing wrong with it, but I just almost never need a second car and so it has been off the road for over a year now. These cars can get engine problems (mine is fine), and at this stage the engines are scarce and quite valuable. The plan is that my engine could breathe new life into a dead Boxster, which would part pay for the conversion. The most hassle free option would probably to source a working Nissan Leaf and transplant all the electric bits. The Leaf motor would have to be matched to the Porsche gearbox but that would be the biggest hurdle. I won't spend more than about €4-5k net on this project and I won't even start it until I am certain that the car will be able to be re-classified as electric and won't have any issues insuring it as a classic car, just like I do now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaykSYwI_zk
    Part 1 of a full series on converting an Audi 80 to a Leaf drivetrain by a guy in Wicklow.
    It's complete now and fully road legal.
    Quite a lot of work in it, I would doubt it will ever be possible at the kind of budget you're quoting unkel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I like the idea and if I won the lottery I'd be all in. But I won't be winning the lottery so I'm unlikely to ever do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sounds like a straightforward thing to do until you look into it - it's far beyond the ability of the vast majority of people, leaving a hugely expensive project to pay a professional outfit to do for you. Only for the wealthy for the foreseeable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Orebro wrote: »
    Sounds like a straightforward thing to do until you look into it - it's far beyond the ability of the vast majority of people, leaving a hugely expensive project to pay a professional outfit to do for you. Only for the wealthy for the foreseeable I think.

I reckon (from a position of not much knowledge) that it's fairly easy on old American cars like a Cadillac or something

Basically it boils down to
    Simplicity, those cars were not known for being overly complex
    Space, the cars are massive so swapping out for a small electric motor leaves plenty of room for batteries

But yeah, cheap it definitely is not

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

air wrote: »
    I would doubt it will ever be possible at the kind of budget you're quoting unkel.

It's tight, I agree. But I don't feel my figures are insane either. I wouldn't be demanding in terms of range or charging, top speed, practicalities, boot space, etc. as long as the car handles well and is pretty fast 0-30

Sell Boxster engine + anxilliaries: -/- €2,500

That would give me a budget of say €7,500, less than half of which would go on a complete Leaf (possibly less if it is compromised or crashed)

That still leaves a budget of €4,000 for the fabrication of the part that matches motor and the manual gearbox, any other parts / meters / cabling and of course labour

And to put this into perspective, Damien Maguire bought a knackered BMW 3-series and converted it to electric for a grand including batteries and everything. Even including the donor car. But obviously not putting value on labour costs.

The labour is the big issue, you'd need to double your budget at least to pay someone to do it, probably treble it realistically in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

I love the idea too, but having watched lots of Damien Maguire videos has taught me I don't have the skills needed.

If you could source a cheap crashed EV, could be viable for something relatively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Intersting survey - interested to see the results.

I have a plan to do it. It will be to an old light classic. Can't say I'd do it to my Boxster though unlike unkel. Maybe if the engine failed but then I think I'd do a 3.6 or 3.8 conversion to the car.

Back to the EV and the thinking. It would be mainly a local / city run about. Something old and light with basic 12 V electrics and basic switch gear. I did see that Audi conversion a while back its a great job but not sure thats for me. Doing it to something newer where you get into can bus systems and what not would just be a nightmare. For me the original car would need to have character and when original the engine was never part of the charm.

CAN bus hacking would be a basic prerequisite to integrate something like a Leaf drivetrain I'm afraid, even if the donor car has only a basic electronic system.

air wrote: »
    The labour is the big issue, you'd need to double your budget at least to pay someone to do it, probably treble it realistically in Ireland.

Yeah I don't disagree with that assessment. That's why it's not (yet) on the cards for me. The most realistic scenario is that I would do it with a mate or with a friendly outfit that would not charge me commercial labour rates. Unfortunately it is not something I would be able / willing to take on myself. No point in booking myself into the open inverter course :D Last time I looked they were all postponed until next year anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

kindalen wrote: »
    I love the idea too, but having watched lots of Damien Maguire videos has taught me I don't have the skills needed.

If you could source a cheap crashed EV, could be viable for something relatively expensive.

His endeavours caught my interest for a while too until I looked a bit deeper into it - but he tweets like you can just grab yourself an old Lexus for €1500, strap the motor into your car and bobs your Uncle, as if we're all electronic and automotive engineers with the ability and facilities to do it!

I wonder will it be a case of cars not falling on people anymore but frying themselves with high voltage while they're DIYing something like this...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,372 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd love to convert an old yank tank (like my old 85 Suburban 2500), or an old luxobarge (like my old 82 Roller) to EV. Plenty of space for batteries, low cost, and the engine is possibly gone anyway. I'd only be interested in doing conversions where the engine in the classic was gone or blown or beyond repair. No interest in taking good (especially original matching numbers) cars off the road from their original state

Arguably the best candidate for this is a large engined car between 15 and 25 years old. Save on tax. 1809 per year, vs 120 for electric

ELM327 wrote: »
    Arguably the best candidate for this is a large engined car between 15 and 25 years old. Save on tax. 1809 per year, vs 120 for electric

Agreed. The motor tax saving would part pay for the conversion in that case. Over 5 years that would be €8k saved in motor tax alone. Presumably the car, if insurable, would also go up in value once certified as electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,372 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And I wouldnt mind doing the conversion (well, paying people to do it) as the car would likely be put off the road here due to the taxes anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd love to convert an old yank tank (like my old 85 Suburban 2500), or an old luxobarge (like my old 82 Roller) to EV. Plenty of space for batteries, low cost, and the engine is possibly gone anyway. I'd only be interested in doing conversions where the engine in the classic was gone or blown or beyond repair. No interest in taking good (especially original matching numbers) cars off the road from their original state

Dream of mine as well, but costs obscene money for new parts

You'd have to find a crashed Leaf or something like that and then would a 30kWh battery Leaf and its 80kW motor be upto pulling that tank of a Subaru?

A crashed Tesla would be ideal, but they have a big used market and expensive

If you go new parts its the price of a new car

Even something modest like 250km range and decent shove is easily over €25,000 with a 50kWh battery 10k, 150kW motor 7k, inverter/controller,/bms 3k, labour etc

Did anyone get a quote off him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Anyone know who this is? [Edit It's Damien Maguire testing CCS charging using BMW i3 electronics]

attachment.php?attachmentid=555814&stc=1&d=1623619119

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Yeah, he's been working on CCS recently. He's been ramping up the speed gradually on each attempt. He was at around 40kW the other day. Posting up some pics and such on his Twitter https://twitter.com/EvBmw

Answering the original thread question - I'd love to convert a car. For me it'd be a small (!) 4x4, think Fiat Panda or similar. Electric mountain goat. :) Realistically though for a DIY conversion I don't think a car will be a go-er as I've no garage. I am thinking of doing a bike/scooter conversion as I could do that in the shed.

In case anyone wants to see more on his one, it's the "Grey Goose". Look that up on his YouTube channel. E46 3-series 320 engine was blown when he got it. Now has a Nissan Leaf motor, Model 3 onboard charger, and Renault Zoe batteries.

He doesn't seem to be selling the cars he has converted, which is a pity. I would be interested in buying one. One aspect I particularly like about him is that he doesn't cut any regulatory corners. His cars are re-classified as EVs, taxed as such and also NCTd.

unkel wrote: »
    He doesn't seem to be selling the cars he has converted, which is a pity. I would be interested in buying one. One aspect I particularly like about him is that he doesn't cut any regulatory corners. His cars are re-classified as EVs, taxed as such and also NCTd.

He cut back on the fleet a few months ago and sold a few as there was too much to handle and keep on top of. I don't think he put up donedeal ads. pacman.gif
    I think they mostly went to people he knew, but he did indicate it was going to happen earlier in the year.

I agree with you though. He knows his stuff and is serious about doing things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You should look into a series called Vintage Voltage from the UK. Its on Discovery or other means....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq1Oqk1I7zeYlDiJTFWLoFA

ECC do amazing work but you would surely pay very very well for that. Fair enough if you have the money. AVA Electrifi (whose owner is an investor in ECC) are based in Wicklow at Powerscourt and will be doing similar here in Ireland.

Advertisement