Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

So, who's in for the March Challenge?

+1pt for those who commit before it is revealed (as long as it is completed before the end of March)

Yes I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

+1pt for those who commit before it is revealed (as long as it is completed before the end of March)

Count me in please shotgun, in case ya didn't see earlier post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

In.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Yes please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

sure I can't stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That's a reply bait post if ever I saw one. Oh and I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Had hoped to have another rattle of the hill challenge but unlikely now.
    Put me down for March, hoping for a better month.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

In for March and still hoping to get Feb done on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

In like Flynn.

Downhill metres for March please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

In. Still contemplating walking this month's challenge at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

In for March as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Chalk me down for March thanks M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've yet to do this month's one but I'll sign up for March anyway!
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    In. Still contemplating walking this month's challenge at the weekend
    I'm hoping to attempt it tomorrow and I've a strong feeling I'll be walking the majority of it. It's that or submit one of my totally flat recent runs just for the bonus point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

February Table Update #10

This challenge closes on Sunday. No February updates to the table after final update on Monday.

* denotes bonus point to be added if challenge completed
    ?? need a time limit (10k or double 5k rounded to nearest minute)
    Points system is 20, 19, 18... 1,1,1. For this challenge it MAY be the same for both hill rep options and mountain climb options.

O/A Pos|Runner|Jan Pts|Feb Elv|Feb Pts|Time Limit|Total
    1|crisco10*|18|439m Climb|18|37|37
    2|Omeceron*|20|244m Reps|15|45|36
    2|jamule*|15|414m Reps|20|36|36
    4|Lambay Island*|14|442m Climb|19|36|34
    5|Murph_D*|18|183m Reps|12|42|31
    6|mister paul*|12|293m Reps|17|42|30
    7|Comic Book Guy*|11|277m Reps|16|39|28
    8|Swashbuckler*|18|105m Reps|8|37|27
    9|dna_leri*|4|218m Climb|15|35|20
    9|Annie get your Run*|9|150m Reps|10|58|20
    9|py||445m Climb|20|46|20
    9|BeginnerRunner*|20|||50|20
    13|Kurt_Godel*|1|323m Climb|17|44|19
    13|axe2grind||354m Reps|19|39|19
    13|eposhea*||307m Reps|18|47|19
    13|fletch*|19|||40|19
    17|healy1835*|18|||34|18
    17|eyrie*|18|||50|18
    19|Unknown Unthought|17|||??|17
    20|TFBubendorfer||315m Climb|16|42|16
    20|Dubh Geannain*|2|188m Reps|13|37|16
    22|racersedge||230m Reps|15|44|15
    22|En Passant*|7|95m Reps|7|48|15
    24|jackc101||199m Reps|14|49|14
    25|Laineyfrecks*|1|152m Reps|11|44|13
    25|Dudda|13|||??|13
    27|Pherekydes*|1|106m Reps|9|58|11
    28|Kander*|10|||40|10
    28|Wubble Wubble*|10|||45|10
    30|skyblue46*|8|||54|8
    31|omicron*|6|||34|6
    32|ReeReeG*|5|||45|5
    33|Huzzah*|3|||58|3
    34|Zico10*|1|||35|1
    34|OOnegative*||||40|
    34|edinrunna*||||37|

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Think I'm only 29 points in total, not 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

I'll commit to whatever fresh hell you have planned for us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

So finally got around to having another bash at this https://www.strava.com/activities/4854654711

This is the hill I live on, the one that faces me at the end of every run. Some parts are steeper than others so the aim was to do about 7 or 8 reps of the lower part and see what that got me and then head up to the second steep bit so I'd be closer to home for the big collapse :D. I ran the first 5 reps up and down, thereafter was a combo of running down and walk/jog up depending on how the legs were feeling, as the reps went on, I had to walk full stretches (HR was still around 135 so still working!!) and a few times I thought my legs were going to go from under me flying back down as they were jellyish. I had 3 mins left in the challenge but I knew I wasn't getting to the top of the table so quit before I collapsed in a heap.

Thanks to shotgunmcos for setting this up, two decent hill workouts for me this month and am very happy with my 292m elevation (strava and garmin are both in agreement). I have no idea of the total number of reps.

Edit: damn it have just realised one more rep I'd have beaten mrpaul!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

So I lost the run of myself a bit and jogged it all, but in my justification of that I figured a slow jog was much the same as a brisk walk (in fact maybe better as less chance of overstriding.. ) anyway, ‘tis done and I weirdly really enjoyed it! Never thought I would ever enjoy heading up Mount Anville 6 times but such are the times we now live in. I couldn’t remember if I had said 44 or 45 minutes so stopped the watch at 43.30 but I had no uphill left anyway.
    210m and Garmin connect is the same.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4854666037

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tummer36

Would like to get in for the march challenge.As a new member I cannot post a link to verify run.I may post on boards 5 times so I can upload proof of run.If anybody would like to verify it's up on strava Ian Tumulty.Might try another attempt in Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

359m in reps in 40mins
    https://strava.app.link/Y5giSnUpdeb
    In for March too

Edit - Just read the rules again which I hadn't really read properly in the first place :o and I can't really count this result as I recently ran a 17:19 for 5k so double that rounded to the nearest minute is 35mins (not 40). I'd kind of forgotten about the challenge and just woke up this morning and with the weather being so good, decided to give it a bash. Raging, as I was at 314m by 35mins which would have given me 18 points and top of the leaderboard :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well I gave it a go :o Either Garmin or I (let's say Garmin) messed up the elevation though because when I measured the route to plan it, it gave me nearly twice as much total elevation as I've somehow ended up with. It was always going to be a fairly pathetic attempt because I planned to walk whenever my HR got much above easy, but now it's extra pathetic. Sure feck it though, it was lovely to be out running in the park again and on such a beautiful day too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4858314267

fletch wrote: »
    359m in reps in 40mins
    In for March too

Edit - Just read the rules again which I hadn't really read properly in the first place :o and I can't really count this result as I recently ran a 17:19 for 5k so double that rounded to the nearest minute is 35mins (not 40). I'd kind of forgotten about the challenge and just woke up this morning and with the weather being so good, decided to give it a bash. Raging, as I was at 314m by 35mins which would have given me 18 points and top of the leaderboard :mad:
    Good go to be fair but the rules are the rules. Everyone being honest and helping me keep the league straight.

You got a good workout anyway. I'd assume you will run again tomorrow so just break whatever that is into 3 runs and do a few easy hills in 35mins. Bank a few points anyway. March is another challenge you will relish lol

Tummer36 wrote: »
    Would like to get in for the march challenge.As a new member I cannot post a link to verify run.I may post on boards 5 times so I can upload proof of run.If anybody would like to verify it's up on strava Ian Tumulty.Might try another attempt in Sunday.
    Yep it has to be validated, sorry. So link or screenshot all good. Its an "honour" board but the rules are the rules.

eyrie wrote: »
    Well I gave it a go :o Either Garmin or I (let's say Garmin) messed up the elevation though because when I measured the route to plan it, it gave me nearly twice as much total elevation as I've somehow ended up with. It was always going to be a fairly pathetic attempt because I planned to walk whenever my HR got much above easy, but now it's extra pathetic. Sure feck it though, it was lovely to be out running in the park again and on such a beautiful day too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4858314267
    No it is not, you gave a hill rep run a go and thank you for participating again this month! I honestly thought about walking some of my last rep on my attempt as I was toast. Those having mountains available and doing the climb like Kurt, undoubtedly had to scramble or walk some! You got it done and that's all that matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

330m (Garmin) or 321m (Sträva) in 43:54 https://www.strava.com/activities/4858916248

I tried this again, this time up a more runnable, kinder, gradient. Kept the pace easy enough, but I reached the summit too soon and had to run up and down the top of boggy Croghan Kinsella to make up the elapsed time. The previous attempt up Annagh Hill had been much steeper, more open mountain... and yet the two attempts were within a few vertical meters of each other.
    No change on the scoreboard, but a good way to spend Saturday morning. Now bring on the rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

You got a good workout anyway. I'd assume you will run again tomorrow so just break whatever that is into 3 runs and do a few easy hills in 35mins.
    I might just give it another go tomorrow 🀭🀭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

fletch wrote: »
    359m in reps in 40mins
    In for March too

I thought you were seriously underselling yourself with your 40 minute prediction alright.

Like fletch, I haven't given this any thought whatsoever, but I'm heading out for a 13 mile run in an hour or two. I'll take a couple of 35 minute splits, and whichever split has the greater amount of elevation gain, will have to be my entry. It's exactly like a club fielding a weakened team to fulfill a fixture though. I won't be ripping up any trees, but it will keep me in the game.

shotgun, you can put my name down for the March Challenge, and I might get round to doing it on the 31st of the month. :pac:

Advertisement