Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.

Steady As She Goes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ Cleanman

Enjoying your updates lately and sorry to hear about the foot. Sensible move to rest it for a couple weeks. Best case scenario is no fracture and the rest helps to clear up the issue. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭ token56

Thank you Cleanman I appreciate it.

I just want to give a small bit of an update. As planned no running but a reasonable amount of cycling between the Turbo trainer and getting out on the road and performing stronger than I was expecting. Over 5 hours so far which is on par with the amount of time I had been spending running over the past few weeks. I am going to try to pick this up a bit though this week and finally get into the gym having joined it.

The condition of the foot is also slowly improving. Most of last week it was mostly the same, still pain when walking etc but thankfully that has mostly gone in since yesterday. I have the follow up appointment Tuesday week and hopefully by then it will be back to normal. I would really love if it turns out to be something less sinister and be back running next week but if not I am enjoying doing something different with the cycling and will push on hard with that.

Another small update after my follow up appointment with the musculoskeletal clinic yesterday. The good news is that the doctor I was dealing is quite confident it is not in fact a stress fracture, certainly not of any of the metatarsals. The pain is quite an odd one but I have figured out the origin is more around the ankle with pain radiating outwards along the top of the foot if it gets bad. The bad news is that there is still varying degrees of tenderness so it is still a mystery exactly what is happening. Next stop is an MRI so currently trying to get that sorted out. Unfortunately there looks to be a minimum 4 week waiting list anywhere I look. Hopefully I might get something sooner but this one is out of my control.

In the meantime the doctor has said that I can try a tentative return to running however if there are any signs of pain or overall worsening, then stop. I've been continuing with the cycling but also in the gym a couple of times a week so tried 15 minutes on the treadmill yesterday evening. Thankfully no pain while running and it has behaved itself relatively well since. Even with this licence to run I am going to be extremely cautious. My main focus will continue to be cycling as often as I can to maintain the aerobic base, right now about 5/6 days a week. However for the rest of the week I will try a couple more runs on the treadmill increasing the time a bit. If this all goes ok I might start to venture back outside next week but flat surfaces. I'm not expecting to be back to 60K+ weeks until after getting a proper diagnosis but if I could even manage a handful of easy mid distance runs a week it would be fantastic in the meantime.

It is frustrating that I have 2 races coming up in the next few weeks with one supposed to be this weekend but I will just have to put these to the back of my mind. Focus on everything I do have control over. I am continuing with the gym work also and I have been getting my diet back into better order the past two weeks. Whenever I do get back fully I am determined to be stronger, leaner and as best prepared as possible. This year still has a lot to offer.

It's certainly been a while but I think I'm finally back...

To cut a long story short I have had the summer from hell with regards injury. The issue I was having back in March/April turned out to a case of Peroneal Tendonitis but unfortunately this what not the only issue I had. After the last update I managed two weeks of running with no issues. However during the warm down of a 5K threshold session I developed quite a bad pain on the outside of my left knee. I didn't think much of it and hoped a few days rest would have it sorted. Of course this wasn't the case and through a couple of miss diagnosis and unfortunate timings it took a long time to actually get to the source of the issue which was a severe case of ITB syndrome and then even more time to treat it.

In total I was unable to do any running for 12 weeks, for a good weeks I was barely able to walk more than 1K. I was able to keep some level of fitness through cycling and gym work but I was still a bit constrained in terms of length and intensity of what I could do. Thankfully I'm now back into my 5th week of successful running since this 12 week layoff however I am still only on the road of recovery and the knee is not quite at 100%. But through weekly physio sessions and hard work in the gym I am getting there. At the moment I am limited in the distance I can do in a single run and 10K is about the max I am happy with. After this the form starts to go from tiredness and the knee feels less comfortable. Thankfully intensity isn't an issue and I can run hard enough over shorter distances. I've managed two parkruns, the last one in 19:41 which is not bad considering everything.

In the short term I am planning to continue with what running I can do, at the moment 4 runs a week, hopefully 5 soon, of between 5 and 10K and continue with the rehab to get back to being able to do longer distances and I'll start to log these here again. Any goals I had for this year are out the window right now. I would like to do a 5K race before the end of the year if the recovery continues to go well, maybe the Jingle Bells 5K, but I just won't have the training done for cross country which was my hope.

Anyway hopefully my next post here will involve actual running.

31/08/2022 - 10.2K - 1:09:15 (6:47/km) - HR - 118

My partner is getting into running after giving up her other contact sports due to a broken ankle earlier in the year so I've been getting out on some runs with her. This was her first time getting up to the 10K distance so took it nice and slow.

02/09/2022 - 8K - 39:25 (4:55/km) - HR - 137

06/09/2022 - 11.1K - 54:06 (4:53/km) - HR - 144

07/09/2022 - 6.8K - 41:45 (6:09/km) - HR - 124

08/09/2022 - 8K - 33:18 (4:08/km) - HR - 158

My first attempt at a bit of a longer tempo session. I was tipping along comfortably at 4:05 pace for the first 5K but then came to a hill and I just have no strength over them at the moment and no speed endurance so struggled the rest of the way home closer to 4:15 pace.

11/09/2022 - 13K - 1:01:13 (4:42/km) - HR - 145

This was sort of a progression run. In hindsight I shouldn't have done this after a tempo session.

12/09/2022 - 8.4K - 42:32 (5:04/km) - HR - 135

13/09/2022 - Turbo Trainer - 50 mins

14/09/2022 - 11/4K - 53:33 (4:42/km) - HR - 143

17/09/2022 - 6.2K - 31:24 (5:03/km) - HR - 142

18/09/2022 - Cycle - 42.7K - 1:26:37 (29.6 kph)

19/09/2022 - 8.4K - 47:30 (5:02/km) - HR - 135

21/09/2022 - 11.4K - 52:09 (4:34/km) - HR - 149

This was my first interval session of 4 x 6 mins at tempo pace with 90 secs jog recovery. I'm trying to avoid doing this on just a flat loop as I want to include the variation you get in races. The first 2 intervals I felt strong but a bit fast averaging 3:55 pace but they probably had a small bit of a slight decent on them. Just the way the loop worked out the next two had some big inclines in them and came in at 4:18 and 4:14 pace. I expected as much and it doesn't look great but with time the strength over the hills will come back.

23/09/2022 - 15K - 1:14:04 (4:56/km) - HR - 142

Longest run since getting back but pace was too quick

24/09/2022 - 5K - 19:37 (3:54/km) - HR - 158

To round off the week running wise I decided to give the local parkrun a go. I thought I might go a bit faster but the weeks running definitely had the legs a bit tired. Still not terrible.

25/09/2022 - Cycle - 106K - 4:02:45 (26.2 kph)

This was the Great Dublin Bike Ride, a friend had convinced me to do it over the summer when I was doing all my cycling. I was dreading it having not doing nearly as much cycling over the past while but I enjoyed it. Apart from a bit of a stiff back the body actually didn't feel too tired after it.

27/09/2022 - 11.4K -1:01:45 (5:26/km) - HR - 131

The body was in fact very tired after that cycle 😅. I just went out at any easy feeling pace not really paying attention to the watch. The first 3K of this was closer to 5:35 pace but I really thought I was going faster. Kept to the easy pace though and treated it as a nice recovery.

28/09/2022 - 11.6K - 58:13 (5:04/km) - HR - 135

29/09/2022 - 8K - 40:47 (5:05/km) - HR - 132

A few good weeks of running with the knee holding up. In addition to all the above I am trying to get to the gym a minimum of twice a week, mostly 3 times for S&C work. There are still some types of movements that my knee is not fully comfortable with, mostly twisting but running in a straight line is ok.

I'm happy enough to be where I am right now but would like to try push the mileage a bit. I've a trip to the physio next week and will get his opinion on it. In general I know my paces are not optimal, running my "slow" or aerobic stuff a bit too fast. I will sort this out. I'm also going to continue with the interval work I did two weeks ago and just slowly build up the overall time at tempo pace in this session, so next will be 5 x 5 mins, then 4 x 7 mins, etc. I'll also get back out onto the hills and build that strength back.

In the very short term I'm actually going to do a race tomorrow, the Simon Home Run. I signed up for this when it was initially supposed to be on earlier in the year, March I think? But completely forgot about it until I got a package in the post with my number and t-shirt. I've no real expectations doing it and it really won't suit the fact I am lacking strength over hills right now with the finish up Kyber Road. But I'll give a good go, I'm going to be ambitious and try hold 4:00/km pace and will be very happy if I manage that.

01/10/2022 - Simon Home Run - 8.05K - 32:07 (3:59/km) - HR - 161

This was a very satisfying run. A tough enough day for it with a nice wind swirling but I will always enjoy running in the Phoenix Park no matter the conditions.

This was probably the best paced race I've ever had. I was right up at the front starting off. There didn't seem to be quite the same strength in depth as the last year I did this but still some fast looking guys and girls about. The gun went off without much warning so a couple of people burst ahead from behind and I had a small rush of blood too and raced off but settled then very quickly into my planned pace.

The 1st and 2nd K ticked off in 4:00 and 3:59 and I was feeling comfortable. At this stage I had picked off anyone who had rushed off a bit too fast but there was a small group forming behind and another group about 10 meters ahead of me. I was a bit conscious that the group behind would use me as a target and was tempted to push up to the group in front but decided against it, just stick with the plan. Went through the 3rd K then in 3:58 and I knew the next 2K coming up had some nice down hills. At this stage the group behind me had dropped off slightly and I could see ahead 3 had dropped off the group in front with 1 of them suffering hard. I managed to get by him pretty quickly in the fourth K which went through in 3:51 and I was approaching the next two guys on the nice long downhill on the Upper Glen Rd. The 5th K went through in 3:50 and by this stage I was shoulder to shoulder with the 2 guys.

But I knew this was where the hard work started coming into the S bends along Military road and then finally up Kyber Rd. I felt that the 2 with me would have been happy if we eased off the pace a bit and this would have been the comfortable thing to do but that wasn't happening so head down and work hard along the bends. They worked to stay with me but by the time we were out of the bends I had pulled away. Went through the 6th K in 4:00 which was very pleasing and then picked the pace up going down hill before Kyber Rd to make sure there was no attempt to try catch back up to me. 7th K in 3:50 and the finally slog started. I knew I was going to slow down here and as I turned up the Rd you could feel the wind head on. Didn't matter the guys behind were going to be feeling this just as much as me and my only goal was to make sure I stayed ahead of them. I kept the head down and pumped the lactate filled legs as much as possible. Passing by someone cheering me on I could hear them quickly enough cheer someone on behind me so knew I wasn't too far ahead of presumably one of the two guys. No looking behind just keep going and I managed as much of a sprint as I could for the last 100m to make sure I wasn't being caught. Crossed the line with that feeling of wanting to get sick that lets you know you've run hard. Last K came in at 4:19, much slower than the rest but this was to be expected. Finished 11th overall.

I would liked to have broken the 32 mins but I paced that as well as I could and really couldn't have got any more out of it. Really pleasing overall and always nice to win the personal battles you have along the way.

02/10/2022 - 8.4K - 41:48 (4:59/km) - HR - 136

General aerobic run, the legs actually felt surprisingly fresh but still a bit too fast. A big positive though, this was my 5th run of the week, the first time getting back to 5 days of running in a week since March.

The plan for the coming week is relatively simple, I'll get out for one session, 5 x 5 mins and some hills at the weekend, easy running apart from that. I'll also target 3 days in the gym and have the physio on Thursday.

I'm now also getting to the stage where I want to set some targets again. Obviously I want to get back to the times I was running in March and then push on further but races help motivate so I've been looking at what I could do. The cross country season is obviously on but I just don't feel strong enough for that right now. If I'm needed for the senior team in December I'll go for numbers but that will be it. In the short term I've signed up for the Jingle Bells 5K. I did it last year and it is a very nice quick 5K. I'm not expecting to be where I was time wise compared to last year but with 2 months of training I think a target of sub 19 is realistic, time will tell!

• Advertisement

04/10/22 - 15.33K - 1:18:51 (5:09/km) - HR - 141

I wasn't quite sure about which day I would do what run on but I woke up very early in the morning and headed to the gym deciding that I would go for run in the evening. I did a bit of leg work, nothing crazy but enough that I didn't want to do any quick running in the evening so decided on the long run. I tried out a new route which involved running some nice hills on grass. The conditions of the day and underfoot made this a bit tougher than I expected and it aggravated the knee a small bit. Got home from this a bit worried but just tightness and no pain thankfully. A bit of rolling and massaging had it feeling a bit better. I think this route would actually be great for building strength in general but I have to be cautious with my knee so will stay away from it for the time being.

05/10/22 - 8.21K - 41:32 (5:05/km) - HR - 139

A straightforward easy run. My only concern was how my knee would feel but thankfully it was ok. Again I did this in the evening and the body definitely feels a bit more tired, heart rate a bit higher etc. I think I'm just used to early morning running.

06/10/22 - 11.1K - 49:59 (4:30/km) - HR - 149

The 5 x 5 min session. I had physio in the afternoon and didn't want to go out after this as I knew my body and muscles would be pretty tired. This meant an early morning run after a run the evening before, not ideal but the lesser of two evils. Again I choose a loop that would have some undulations in it. The pace for the intervals were 3:57, 3:54, 4:01, 3:59, 4:05. A bit more consistent than last time and the last interval was into a nice little headwind. I found the pace tougher than I was expecting and my legs were definitely tired. Happy to get the session in tough, I just need to be confident the strength will return.

08/10/22 - 7.82K - 34:19 (4:23/km) - HR - 155

Back to my run in the hills which I really value, two hard laps in the woods. Based on how I have felt recently over hills I was expecting or should I say would have been happy with something under 36 mins for this so I was very pleased with the time I managed. It is still 2 minutes off where I was 6 months ago but a really good first outing back here. Even better my knee held up very well with the fast downhills which can really take a toll on that area.

10/10/22 - Turbo Trainer - 28.3K - 1:00:00

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get out on Sunday and would have liked to go out today to make up for it but want to keep to my schedule of the days that I run and didn't want 6 days of running this week. As an alternative I did a bit of a spin on the turbo trainer early in the morning. I think I might try get one of these in every week if I can going forward.

The goal this week is to get the 5 days of running in with a 4 x 7 mins session and I've yet to decide between a parkrun at the weekend or the hills again. It will depend on whatever else I have going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭ AuldManKing

Nice run in the Simon race - fair play.

Thanks AMK I appreciate it!!!

11/10/22 - 15K - 1:15:37 (5:02/km) - HR - 134

The longest run of the week. Nothing really much to comment on here other than I probably ran this a bit too fast. The heart is slowly coming down which is good though.

12/10/22 - 8.26K - 44:42 (5:25/km) - HR - 129

I set out to run this at a pace of around 5:05-5:10 but the legs felt tired so listened to the body and slowed it down further. During the run the heart rate was a bit elevated for the pace I was doing so it was definitely the right decision.

13/10/22 - 11.7K - 51:39 (4:25/km) - HR - 147

A solid session of 4 x 7 min off 90s jog. The main goal was to try keep the pace even and hopefully not let the hills impact me too much. The average pace for the 4 were 3:57, 3:59, 3:59, 3:56 with the last two containing the inclines. Thankfully I felt stronger than two weeks ago on the same route and could pick the pace up more on the downhill to counter the lost time going uphill. The easier pace the previous day definitely had the legs feeling fresher too.

Still undecided what I will do at the weekend but more than likely some hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭ Unknownability

Congratulations on getting under the target time.

I've just signed up for Amsterdam as well.

Similar to you I'm having knee issues and have been off the road for nearly 6 weeks now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ Wottle

Congratulations on Jingle bells, thoroughly deserved.

Looking forward to following your Amsterdam journey. It's a great one to do, scenic, amazing support, fast course and very well organised with an amazing start/finish in the Olympic stadium.

Thanks Wottle, I appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to it myself. Christmas will be spent looking at all the different plans out there trying to decide how to approach it. Any advice is more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ Wottle

Love it, mojo sounds in a really good place, all the best for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭ skyblue46

How do you measure HR. If it's watch based it's crap anyway. If it's a chest strap make sure the contacts are wet. They're very good when you're sweating but if not they can lock on to cadence. Good old fashioned spit does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭ marathon2022

Might be technical issue as opposed to your heart, you should try a different watch to see if the same pattern occurs.

Advertisement