Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3kg medicine ball.

Options
  • 31-01-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello.
    I bought a small 3kg medicine ball the other day and due to my figity nature I have been carrying it around the house with me during the day. The reason for this is because I am not working due to the virus and I have a lot of pent up energy because I am usually doing different types of labouring.
    I want to know if carrying it around and throwing it from one hand to the other, circling it around my waist and doing movements with it to help build my arms, back, chest and shoulders is a bad thing in the long run. Along with a few squats while holding it and then just fooling around with it I would basically carry it around most of the day but am under no major strain.
    Is this bad for me in any way or are there any benefits to it? I'm 36 and in good health.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I'm not an expert at all but I am going to guess it will be next to useless unless you have some muscle imbalance that it can sort out. Incorporating it into a workout routine would make more sense to me.

Maybe try something like this 7 minute workout to expend some energy

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/well/workouts/

just click begin workout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Only if you take loads of protein shakes will it work

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

Hello.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not really doing this to build up muscle, I already do a lot of walking and body weight exercises but due to lock down I find that I am just not doing enough work in my day to tire myself out.

I find that when I'm looking at television I am constantly vibrating my legs, otherwise I'm just pacing around the house and going to the fridge out of boredom.

My main aim is to give me something to do and occupy myself. Every time I stand up I bring it with me, if I'm standing around I play with it and otherwise I might do some larger movements with it!

I'm just wondering if all the movement and throwing around and catching of the 3kg ball all day will have any negative side effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

And I'm not really an expert in fitness either so do you mind me asking what loads of protein shakes will do for me? Are they not fattening if I'm not lifting heavy weights on a regular basis? Cheers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

beggars_bush is completely wrong. Check out this link for more info on protein: https://medium.com/gethealthy/no-it-wont-make-you-fat-reasons-you-should-be-drinking-protein-after-a-workout-a155aae97061

As for negative side effects.. probably none unless you're straining yourself. Check out: https://www.healthline.com/health/repetitive-strain-injury and https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/well/how-to-minimize-repetitive-stress-injuries-from-carrying-a-baby.html (a baby must weigh around 3kg? haha)

As for pacing around the house, boredeom, pent up energy... could be lockdown anxiety? maybe some meditation would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd say its a bit light to get any benefit, if you got an 8KG or 10KG one and take it to a park you could get a decent workout out of it, there are various throws you could do, plenty of gym videos on it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Nah, just do an actual workout with the medball and your bodyweight. There will be loads to choose from online.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It will be as much use as carrying an extra 3kg fat.
    So virtually no use.

Advertisement