Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Getting Fitter

Options
  • 30-01-2021 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been doing 5km everyday since October, firstly as a walk, then a quicker walk, then half jog half walk. Problem is I can do half as a jog but it's normal around 4-500m jog then walk 4-500m rinse and repeat, I've been doing that since before Christmas but I'm not really able to jog anymore than I could before Christmas, I kind of expected to be able to extend my jogs distance but I just haven't been able to.
    Any tips would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Snotty wrote: »
    Hi, I've been doing 5km everyday since October, firstly as a walk, then a quicker walk, then half jog half walk. Problem is I can do half as a jog but it's normal around 4-500m jog then walk 4-500m rinse and repeat, I've been doing that since before Christmas but I'm not really able to jog anymore than I could before Christmas, I kind of expected to be able to extend my jogs distance but I just haven't been able to.
    Why are you stopping? Is it cardio or pain in legs?
    Positive mental attitude, tell yourself you can do. Push yourself so you don’t end up walking.
    Have you tried using a coach 2 5km app?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

I have found that now that I regularly exercise (cycle or jog), I take more challenging and longer routes where I know there are hills and it will take me a long time to get home. I was struggling and red in the face going up a hill yesterday and afterwards I felt really excellent for having gone through the exertion.

Today I'm having a rest day where I just go up on the crosstrainer for 10k. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle that same hill again and see if it's any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Try jog for 1k without walking, do it as slow as you want. When you are able, go up in increments of 500m. Don't worry about speed, get your distances right and the stamina will build

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Can you elaborate on this? Do you just feel too exhausted to do more?

Perhaps you should start using some kind of tracker to see exactly how much you're doing, so you can make very small incremental increases in distance spent running.

Additionally it will be much easier to see progress if you improve other areas like nutrition, sleep, do a bit of strength training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

A lot of getting fitter is "specific adaptation to imposed demands".

If you want to get fitter, you need to mix it up and do some exercise that is more of a strain, so your body can adapt. E.g. Do some HIIT training or some sprints as part of your run. If its not a bit uncomfortable, you won't adapt.

Fitness is also largely diet & recovery too. You need to upgrade these also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont think jogging everyday is a good idea, if you did it 3 days a week and just walked otherwise you would probably make more progress. I know over the first lock down I went from 0 jogging to a 10KM over about 2 months, but I only did the longer distance once a week and shorter distances otherwise.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement