Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

To be fair i dont know any Garda or have even heard of any Garda who has confidence in either helen or drew

and the issues go waaaaay beyond rosters , the mess last night exposed some but not all of that,

believe it or not there are now issues around paying off duty gardai who responded to the pleas for help last night

i listened to a interview with helen earlier where is flat out lied on several occasions about operational issues from last night that im not going to go into here ,

saying that the prospect of sf government is deeply worrying for any serving garda right now , I believe that it would result in a mass resignation of a few hundred in a block added to the approx. 200 we will lose by the end of this year

Post edited by mikethecop on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭howiya

It's strange how you appear to be so supportive of Gardai but are on the side of the commissioner who they have no confidence in just so you can use it as a stick to beat Sinn Fein with. I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter so I don't really care.

My initial point remains the same. I'm not surprised that Mary Lou or the Soc Dems or members of the public do not have confidence in the commissioner when he doesn't have the confidence of the vast majority of the GRA membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That's a bigger issue with the entire force and has been going on years, long before Helen.

Mary Lou jumping on it as if she is a spokesperson for the garda is a laugh. She seems to think people forget her applauding a Garda killer and begging for his early release.

Who said I am on the side of the commissioner?

My initial point is the same, Mary Lou is not a spokesperson for the Garda, never was and never will be. Running around with the group of scumbags who attacked the Garda last night is what Mary Lou and Sinn Fein is more used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭howiya

So you agree with her that the Commissioner should resign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Justice Minister and the Garda Commissioner should be sacked if they don't offer their resignation after this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

To be honest the judiciary and the solicitors have more to answer for, for the revolving door system they've cultivated to line their pockets whilst letting scumbags roam the streets who in most other countries wouldn't see the light of day. Until they get serious about crime in this country, we'll continue the slide that's been in train for 25yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Let's be honest, Mary lou losing confidence in Harris and mcentee is nothing to do with last night. When tourists were getting attacked she didn't lose confidence, when 99% of guards lost confidence in drew harris, she still didn't declare no confidence in either of them.

She is at best using this situation to score cheap points. At worst, she is cowtowing to those in her own constituency by trying to deflect blame on harris/mcentee and away from the people that were burning busses and garda cars.

On the face of it she is presenting the same arguments as conor mcgregor and the other wing nuts over on twitter - "you shouldn't have done the bad things but really it's not your fault, it's the guards fault and the governments fault."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i d suggest that its also to do with her being the mouth piece of a terrorist/organized crime gang

Ahh the Sinn Fein school of thought I see. Agree with Mary Lou? No because it is just the latest in a long line of PR stunts from a party struggle to keep up with the noise they started. Sinn Fein biggest problem was always going to be time. When they ran for the hills during covid and left the other parties to form a government, Im fairly sure they expected covid would take down the government.

Problem was for all the mistakes the government made, Sinn Fein flip flopped all the time and showed to a lot of people they are completely useless. Plus the disaster in the North didn't help at all with people flocking over the border to get help.

Now we have the latest. Should the Commissioner resign? I don't know. Do we have a better alternative? if we do will the alternative be still going with the changes to the roster? will they be able to hire more Garda?

Or do we fire a perfectly good Commissioner to end up with a worse one and all the same problem

You see that took all of 2 minutes to come up, something the entire Sinn Fein party wouldn't be able to work out in a "think tank".

• Advertisement

Bit from column A and column B. Mary Lou was at the attack site, crocodile tears when the camera came on. What she didn't do was go to her constitution and tell them not to wreck the place. Instead she sent one of her minions onto TV to tell everyone it wasn't inner city dublin rioting.

The vote of no confidence is because people are angry and this is points scoring exercise.

When the Garda lost confidence in Drew Harris it was over roster mainly and under staffed. Do they want him changed now a few hours away from a potential another riot?

ny Garda I know doesn't want anything to do with Sinn Fein or Mary Lou, I already posted why but they are also entangled as a party in serious crime and the information is available all over the web. Ask the Garda if they want Sinn Fein in government and see what answer you get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

"A Sinn Féin councillor who accused gardaí of beating him up after his arrest in O’Connell Street, Dublin, was yesterday convicted of public order offences.

Matt Carthy (21), Ballyclose, Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan, who was elected last month to Carrickmacross UDC, had denied obstruction, breach of the peace and failing to move on.

The charges arose out of an incident beside the O’Connell Street taxi rank at 2.40 am on November 14th last.

He and three other members of Young Sinn Fein were arrested when one of them, Pearse Doherty (21), Waverly Avenue, Fairview, Dublin, called a garda investigating a nearby traffic accident an abusive name."

The Sinn Fein TD sent onto RTE the other night knows all about abusing Gardai on O'Connell Street.

They also gave those guys a standing round of applause at their Ard Fheis. Standing round of applause for someone who killed a Garda. Mary lou included

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't think it's any surprise that the Gardai members have a serious issue with a Commissioner who came from the outside. The last thing the Gardai want is accountability and high standards when it comes to their behaviour. The Gardai have continuous shown how corrupt they are and how they've no interest in changing.

All you need to do is look at the behaviour of previous Commissioners who've risen through the ranks of AGS and how rotten to to the core they were to see how rotten the culture in AGS is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It all figures. I heard from someone who was in the area at the time that there were chants of "uh ah up the RA" by the rioters. Pity Mary Lou McD would not criticise that instead.

As we saw during the "Love Ulster" march in O'Connell st about a decade ago, there are hundreds of Republicans not too far from O'Connell st ready to riot, loot, steal and cause mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I think - as is usual - a lot of the animosity towards the Commissioner stems from an attempt to reform work practices which in turn is hitting them in the pocket.

as for ML McDonald and SF, brass neck is par for the course. The no confidence in McEntee and Harris is pure politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Given that two senior members of the SF front bench have prior convictions for public order offences, and have claimed for years that this was due to political discrimination by Gardai, it is hardly surprising that they will use this opportunity to stick the boot in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Mary Lou’s latest tweet going down like a lead balloon.

They had managed to quieten down some of the more rabid shinnerbots recently but they are out threatening, abusing and whatabouting again like they never went away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I see from Twitter that the latest opinion poll (SF down 3, Mary Lou less popular than McEntee) is wrong, part of a concerted effort to damage SF, part of a Blue Hugh and Philip Ryan plot etc.

What’s more likely to be happening is they’ve started to shed some of the support from moronic far-right nationalists who love that old IRA, fighting Irish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is the third poll in a row that has seen support for Sinn Fein dropping by an amount in and around the margin of error. Little doubt about it now, there is a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

With the shinners going out of their way to piss of their core vote such as those in east wall and other areas with genuine questions about immigration,it’s no wonder they are tanking in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Also annoying any slightly centrist potential voters with the Gaza ambassador stunt at the ard fheis.

And the tedious doomed to fail No Confidence motion, amusingly, McEntee has a higher approval rating than Mary Lou in that poll today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They've been able to play both sides up until now, with the policy now more concrete, the voters they were courting move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Imagine being less popular than the leaders of "the most unpopular government in the history of the state", eh, Mary Lou?

Ms McEntee’s own approval rating when compared to party leaders including Ms McDonald stands at 39 per cent, this is one point ahead of the SInn Féin leader who has fallen three points to 38 per cent.

Ms McDonald is level with Social Democrats leader Holly Cairns. Tánaiste Micheál Martin and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar are the two party leaders with the highest approval ratings at 46 per cent and 40 per cent respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

You will see the shinners disappear from the debate about immigration now.Mary Lou looked rather rattled in that video the other nite when confronted by the plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

That's it. Can't criticize the core voters aka the rioters.

But she can point fingers at the protestant, ex RUC, Garda chief commissioner.

Mmmm, I wonder is that Mary Lou Mc'Mansion's issue? Everyone is welcome except northern protestants.

• Advertisement

Ryan now won’t have to fly home from COP. Paired off with Whitmore from the Soc Dems.

Spectacular misstep by SF bringing the motion of no confidence. Genuine political stupidity.

Advertisement